Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I like this thread. I hope Subaru is monitoring and LISTENING to us. We just want to make their product better!
My list:
1) As stated in another post - but it is so obvious, it bears repeating: Power folding side view mirrors.
2) push button activation from cargo area for folding down 3rd row seats. This is standard on: Kia, Hyundai, Toyota. The Ascent should have this feature.
3) USB charger/outlet on driver's side of 3rd row seating area.
4) The plastic clips used to lock in the rear passenger head rests are cheap and old technology. They are a break point and should be better engineered.
5) the carpeting in the cabin is very cheap and thin. I have concerns it will not hold up to rugged, everyday use over the next 10 years.
6) don't need transmission paddle-shifters on an SUV. This is over-engineering by definition. My wife, the main driver, has no idea what to do with these. Frankly, I don't see any need for them at all. Very poor decision. Keep them on the WRX.
7) The driver's instrument gauges are set to deep in the dash. With the driver's seat raised to it's highest, and the steering wheel advanced to a comfortable position, the driver loses a clear view of the gauges. Poor engineering. the steering wheel needs more / better tilt options to off-set the poor gauge location.

A small list, but all very easy to fix on future iterations.

·
Registered
372 Posts
6) don't need transmission paddle-shifters on an SUV. This is over-engineering by definition. My wife, the main driver, has no idea what to do with these. Frankly, I don't see any need for them at all. Very poor decision. Keep them on the WRX.
It is absolutely needed for those living, or driving, in the mountains as it is the only way to use the CVT(transmission) to slow the vehicle while going downhill other than the brakes. It is the equilevent of shifting another transmission type into lower gears so you don't ride the brakes all the way down a hill and subsequently eat through brake pads and warp rotors from overheating them. Drive up to the top of Beech or Mount Mitchell and come back down and you'll get it. People that tow use it a good bit as well. In the low country you'll never need it unless towing

Seat heaters need to be on your list. Taking 10 minutes to heat up is ridiculous and likely unnecessary after my body has been warming it for that long.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
It is absolutely needed for those living, or driving, in the mountains as it is the only way to use the CVT(transmission) to slow the vehicle while going downhill other than the brakes. It is the equilevent of shifting another transmission type into lower gears so you don't ride the brakes all the way down a hill and subsequently eat through brake pads and warp rotors from overheating them. Drive up to the top of Beech or Mount Mitchell and come back down and you'll get it. People that tow use it a good bit as well. In the low country you'll never need it unless towing

Seat heaters need to be on your list. Taking 10 minutes to heat up is ridiculous and likely unnecessary after my body has been warming it for that long.
I agree on the paddle shifters but have had only good experience with the seat heaters on my Limited Ascent. I have read that some owners have had issues with the seat heaters and wonder why there is some difference in the experience. Some of contemplated a difference based on trim level (cooling seat on the high level trim). I do not know but again no problem with mine heating up quickly and sufficiently even in zero degree temps.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've got a Limited as well, needed the bench seat for the dogs, and it is parked in an attached garage so it rarely below 39F when I get in.

·
Registered
705 Posts
...but have had only good experience with the seat heaters on my Limited Ascent. I have read that some owners have had issues with teh seat heaters and wonder why there is some difference in the experience. Some of contemplated a difference based on trim level (cooling seat on the high level trim). Ido not know but again no problem with mine heating up quickly and sufficiently even in zero degree temps.
Same on my 2020 Limited - nuclear arse warmers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no problem with the need to shift into low gear, but it could be done with the time-honored transmission method of D-2-1. No need to bring paddle shifters into the equation. They are an abnormal way to exert control of the transmission.

·
Administrator
7,788 Posts
I have no problem with the need to shift into low gear, but it could be done with the time-honored transmission method of D-2-1. No need to bring paddle shifters into the equation. They are an abnormal way to exert control of the transmission.
There's 8 simulated gears, so, the days of D-2-1 are long gone. ?

·
Registered
372 Posts
^^^
And other manufacturers are using 8-10 speed traditional transmissions, to reach CAFE numbers, also opt to go the paddle route. Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, VW Atlas, Ford Explorer, GM variants in this class, same for FCA, and the Hyundai Palisade all have them.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I love the paddle shifters for descents. Loved 'em in my Forester XT too. What's wrong with them again?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,154 Posts
Paddle shifters are not intrusive, so if you don't want to use them, there's no harm done. They are not "abnormal" in any way...in fact, as has already been mentioned, they are extremely common on many vehicles today. I don't use mine...and don't really notice they are there.

I agree that power folding mirrors would be nice, but I've never had them on previous vehicles and don't actually miss them on my Ascent.

I see little value in power folding rear seats, too. But then again, mine stay down 98% of the time. But even when I do put them up, it takes about two seconds which I suspect is far faster than a powered system would be and there's almost nothing to break.

My solution for the dash is to use the digital display in the middle for my speed read-out since my preferred body position with the seat fully raised and wheel adjusted for comfort "slightly" interferes with the analog speed display right in the area for most common speeds. (55-70 mph) I'm 5'11" for reference. I used the digital speed readout on my previous vehicle, too.

·
Administrator
7,788 Posts
I'm hoping Subaru attaches the driver display pod to the steering column one day, but, in the mean time, I use the digital speedometer.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,154 Posts
The potential for OLED displays in the future and the ability for the end customer to move things around (but obviously keeping required things displayed) would be a nice thing!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I live in a fairly flat area but use the downshift paddle on every drive, I'd really miss not having it to decelerate a bit instead of braking. My wife couldn't find them on a bet.

My third row seats have never been unfolded so if power folding was available I'd prefer that as an option and not a standard feature.

Same with power mirrors, I'd never use them, I can see why some people like them though.

Third row driver side USB ports ARE an option.

I'm 4 inches shorter than I used to be thanks to a fused spine so I can see the speedo ok.

Funny how we all have our druthers!

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
934 Posts
i'm still 6.1 and i can see speedo just fine ...
don't people look at cars before buying ...
An individual might have an issue seeing the speedo but still decide to buy based on the preponderance of factors. That doesn't mean the don't wish for it to be different.

·
Registered
231 Posts
2) Motors on the 3rd row is just another costly item to break.
That's just what I was going to say. Putting the seats up and down is super easy, so why invite another electrical complication?

I'll also echo the sentiment that some kind of shifter is a necessity. Personally, I'd prefer a +/- on the shifter knob instead of the paddle shifters. But no biggie.

Any list of things to change or fix should start and end with the rear hatch battery drain issue. Unless I've missed something and that isn't a problem on the newer versions.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I'll also echo the sentiment that some kind of shifter is a necessity. Personally, I'd prefer a +/- on the shifter knob instead of the paddle shifters. But no biggie.

Any list of things to change or fix should start and end with the rear hatch battery drain issue.
shift lever will end up being a personal preference and varies widely. I think the paddles look cleaner.
+1 on the liftgate though!

side note: I was driving home from work today approaching my wraparound exit. Naturally I need to decelerate because no vehicles in my possession can take this curve at 70mph. Without thinking, I canceled cruise control, lifted my left foot and stomped on the footrest while grabbing and pulling back on the shifter. Neither of these actions successfully slowed my Ascent. Does anyone else do this after driving a stick-shift?

·
Registered
67 Posts
1. For the price point folding mirrors should be standard.
2. Heated seat and steering wheel has never worked right (I drove a forrester and they worked fine. I will be taking it back for the 4th time to fix.)
3. I hit the shift lever by mistake 2 days ago and didn't know what to do to get it back to normal. (It should be an option)
4. To me the 3rd row seat operates very easily. However, I can see where someone disabled may prefer an electronic
5. Subaru needs to figure out why many of their windshields are defective.

·
Registered
686 Posts
side note: I was driving home from work today approaching my wraparound exit. Naturally I need to decelerate because no vehicles in my possession can take this curve at 70mph. Without thinking, I canceled cruise control, lifted my left foot and stomped on the footrest while grabbing and pulling back on the shifter. Neither of these actions successfully slowed my Ascent.
Lol I'd love to see a video of what happened next!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts