Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, first I would like to thank this Forum and its members as a positive (so far) resource in my new car search. We have two Honda’s in our family, great cars! But, I’m in search to replace ‘09 Pilot. It took a couple years of searching and waiting for the next new model & refresh, it had come down to VW or another Honda. Then I heard about the forthcoming Subaru Ascent and eventually this site. We want a car that is safe and offers a lot of safety accessories (its a senior citizen thing), reliable because we keep cars along time (>150K mi w/0 defects), low maintenance (just oil, tires, ect), comfortable (fits 6 adults & 1 child on family trips to local events), efficient (87 octane and gets mileage trips >25), handles well (also have a Z4), flexible (holds a lot of luggage and stuff), quiet (we listen to a lot of audiobooks), nice interior /exterior (my wife says I am aesthetic deficient), a little offroad (beach), price competitive, and assembled in the USA, in that priority (subject to change). I’ll cut to the chase, in my humble opinion, this new Subaru Ascent appears to fit the bill with one major concern. Even thou 90% of Subaru’s are still on the road, Reliability of this new powertrain is my concern. Having applied my 80/20 rule, I preordered an Ascent Touring with Assessories. Now I wait (probably Sept) and continue my research (test drives, inspections, negotiations) and reading this forum, for reasons why I should consider changing my mind and ask for the refund. I don’t like to switch or settle for equal/lesser value. If you got this far, again, thank you all for your input and time (god this is a lot longer then planned but therapeutic).

·
Registered
597 Posts
I don't think you need to worry about the powertrain unless you plan on towing a lot with the car. From my understanding the engine is not a fully new engine but another engine that they have changed to be larger. Subaru is pretty good with turbo charging as it is so I wouldn't worry about the either. As far as the CVT it is their current CVT beefed up for the extra strain.

As someone who purchased and is trading in an '05 Xterra which I purchased right after a full redesign I was worried as well but had few issues with the engine which was the Nissan VQ engine changed to 4 liters. I have 135,000 miles on the car now and it is still going strong. I don't think Nissan has as good CQ as Subaru. I also found Subaru is willing to stand by its products more. I had an '02 WRX and because of a clutch issue (cold shudder) they replaced it in my car at 30,000 miles.

Last you can always end up with a lemon no matter when you purchase a car in the run. If you have one you will want to get rid of it no matter where or when it was manufactured.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I don't think you will be disappointed with the Subaru, Subaru does not do things half a$$. They have been working on this car for quiet sometime and I do not think they will put out something they will have a lot of problems with.

Although, I do see one down fall is I do not thing they were prepared for the amount of orders for these cars that they have received, but is that really a bad thing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
we are subaru converts from honda i have an odyssey which we LOVE. my wife has the 2015 OB which has become my daughters daily driver since she passed her driving test. awesome, safe good mileage cheap to keep reliable best <50k awd out there
tested the 2015 crv initially had a terrible course vibration at all speeds and at idle. wife terminated the test drive after the sales guy said :"oh we could take to service for fix" what.....brand new car .....big NOPE went to subaru that same day to look again at the forester.....then she sat in OB just for giggles and fell in love. never wanted for more power and still feel that way after 40k miles but i don't tow anything. glad that subaru gives us a tow option in the ascent.

the safety of awd---wife feels confident letting our daughter drive the OB eyesight she LOVES........that's huge confidence in OB safety.

my friend who lost his daughter to an accident said " don't want a tombstone to read my car got 34mpg."

my odyssey 2011 w 76k miles is still awesome. i;m comfortable as a blended family.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts