Subaru Ascent Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plz help to determine Subaru Ascent Reliability and safety in regards to transmission and major issues.
36000 Subaru are sold. How many ascent have Major issue?
In this forum what percentage of issues are reported , sure not all ascent buyer don’t report here

Being new car is it expected to be in repair shop often ?

I like the car but looking on the Transmission issue and safety it concerns....

Plz comment on the Ascent Reliability and safety on major issues for new Ascent purchase

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Plz help to determine Subaru Ascent Reliability and safety in regards to transmission and major issues.
In this forum what percentage of issues are reported , sure not all ascent buyer don’t report here

Plz comment on the Ascent Reliability and safety on major issues for new Ascent purchase
There are as of yet no known major safety issues with the majority of Ascents. In fact, the vehicle has received excellent safety grades from the NHTSA.

There have been a few cases of transmission failures here which so far are statistically insignificant, so there is currently no cause for concern. However, in some of these cases, the dealership and/or Subaru has not yet handled it well to the point of potentially risking customer safety.

While it's too early to factually determine overall reliability, Consumer Reports has rated the Ascent's predicted reliability a 4 out of 5.

·
Registered
15 Posts
A poll was taken in an Ascent Facebook group recently and out of 312 responses, only 12 individuals had a "major" issue (5.6%). "Major" wasn't defined but based on the responses it appears that the people answering yes to that were ones that had to take their vehicle into the dealership for repairs that lasted at least a day. I don't know how that would compare to other brands/models but that seems like a relatively low rate of major issues.

·
Registered
646 Posts

One post wonder? TBD.

Anyways, as noted it's very few having issues and those people will get online and tell about it. So let's round up to 100 cars having transmission problems. It's likely well under 20 but let's round up. And we'll use your 36,000 units sold.
100/36,000 = .0027 so round up again to 0.003 and that means 0.3% are having issues, 3 in 1000 rounding up very generously. It's currently a non-issue and should not impact your reasoning to purchase or not.

·
Registered
764 Posts
The people that have issues find a way to make their voice heard. The population of people having issues here on the forum heavily out number the percentage of people having real world issues. If 5 percent of people on the forums are having issues I'd assume that less that 1 percent of real world people are having issues.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I refuse to participate in this survey, since it is self-selective for complaints, and totally anecdotal.
Further, if you're afraid to buy an Ascent, don't. Buy a known vehicle such as a Jeep, which several sources rate as very poor reliability.
p.s.- my ascent is great.

·
Registered
965 Posts
And we'll use your 36,000 units sold.
36,211 for all of 2018.
Another 2,800 so far for January.

And no indication that demand is slowing down for them.

I've had a few of my customers have issues with their new Ascents. Nearly all of them are one-offs, once they got the initial batch of stuff (door latches) figured out. And some of them are already coming in for their first service, since they've had them for 6 months. Biggest complaint I've heard is that they wished the Limited had some stuff that's only available on the Touring. And that includes my couple that's had their car in three times for stupid stuff - three different little things. They're repeat Subaru customers, so they know that during the first few months things can happen - and once they're done, the car will last for many, many years.

·
Registered
646 Posts
36,211 for all of 2018.
Another 2,800 so far for January.

And no indication that demand is slowing down for them.

I've had a few of my customers have issues with their new Ascents. Nearly all of them are one-offs, once they got the initial batch of stuff (door latches) figured out. And some of them are already coming in for their first service, since they've had them for 6 months. Biggest complaint I've heard is that they wished the Limited had some stuff that's only available on the Touring. And that includes my couple that's had their car in three times for stupid stuff - three different little things. They're repeat Subaru customers, so they know that during the first few months things can happen - and once they're done, the car will last for many, many years.
My only current complaint (outside of CVT not CVTing) is our starlink remote start hasn't worked since mid November and we haven't really gotten anywhere with support. They're "working on it" but there's little communication and they're waiting on IT to fix it.
Other than that great car.

Edit: Oh and we've punctured 2 different tires from random debris, not sure if it's the tires or my luck has run out on never ever having any tire issues.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Mine is terrific. No major issues. Subarus are typically reliable vehicles. That's why I purchased mine.
Mine is awesome, SUBARU is great that it is my 3rd vehicle.:smile:

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Ascent has earned the highest Top Plus rating from the IIHS crash tests. That said, I'm waiting a few years for the kinks to be worked out. Love the car and look forward to being a future owner.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I'm going to lock this thread because we already have several of them open regarding the reliability of the transmission and model in general. Please use the search function. Your question has been answered many times over, and it is not necessary to start a new thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.