Subaru Ascent Forum banner

41 - 60 of 135 Posts

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Green paint.
So much this!!! I actually posted on it on reddit a long time ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SubaruAscent/comments/il7a7v
I make no promises, because I do not know enough about what is rolling out on June 14th, but, the Ascent has recently gotten green for another market, so, I have a strong suspicion, we may see it as an option (even if only on the Onyx Edition to start - though maybe for the regular 2022 MY) in the NA market.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R, 2003 Honda Pilot EX
53 Posts
Are we expecting general MY22 release information also at the same time as this Onyx edition?
i.e. packages, new equipment, price.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I strongly expect that Subaru is "done" with 6 cylinder ICE at this point and as you note, they are more likely to enhance things via hybrid and EV technologies going forward. The acceleration, especially at onset, with electric motors can plant you very firmly in your seat. I owned an '06 Highlander Hybrid and that thang was like a race car from a standing stop if I floored it to get out our driveway without getting run-over by heavy traffic. Torque is amazing with electrification.
Yup! Never owned an electrified vehicle but I've driven Prius several times and the low-RPM w/ electric has a very substantial torque from a stop.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,267 Posts
Yea, and that Highlander Hybrid Limited I owned had two motors...front paired with the gas engine and rear electric only for "AWD". The rear motor didn't normally kick in unless it was needed, but when it did...zoom...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Are we expecting general MY22 release information also at the same time as this Onyx edition?
i.e. packages, new equipment, price.
Well, maybe. I'm expecting it to be pretty much the same as the 2022 Outback Wilderness announcement. Everything was about the wilderness because the other trims of outback were essentially unchanged. That is my wager here. No changes to the rest of the Ascent line. Everything is just unique to the Onyx. Might have a few differences though. For instance dual range x-mode could move to other trims. Just a theory though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
So this is the 4th model year, so shouldn't it follow the "big little change" model update that Subaru does in a models 4th year of that generation?

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Well, maybe. I'm expecting it to be pretty much the same as the 2022 Outback Wilderness announcement. Everything was about the wilderness because the other trims of outback were essentially unchanged. That is my wager here. No changes to the rest of the Ascent line. Everything is just unique to the Onyx. Might have a few differences though. For instance dual range x-mode could move to other trims. Just a theory though.
The ascent already has a more robust x-mode built into our systems occurring automatically.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Side note. They just announced the 2022 Forester for Japan and I'm really digging the styling changes. The New green color and interior are 🔥🔥🔥🔥.

Also really hoping that is the camera based rear view mirror from the Ascent. I kind of expect the forester to get the front view camera due to the wilderness trim, but not sure about the rear view mirror camera.

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Ascent Onyx Edition...

·
Registered
53 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
so, blackout trim, 20" wheels and startex.

"New for 2022, the Onyx Edition debuts at $37,995. With a striking new look, the Onyx Edition is equipped with exclusive black-finish exterior elements, badging, and 20-inch alloy wheels. On the inside, the seats are wrapped in Subaru StarTex® water-repellant material for durability and easy clean up.

The Onyx Edition builds upon the 7-seat Premium trim and adds standard convenience features including Reverse Automatic Braking; Hands-Free Power Rear Gate; Heated Steering Wheel; and Keyless Access with Push-Button Start.

A single option package is available for Onyx Edition at an MSRP of $2,200. The package includes a panoramic moonroof, navigation, and retractable cargo cover. "

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
need to see how the blackout looks with white exterior (if it's available)

·
Registered
53 Posts
And just a lil more off-topic news: 2023 Solterra to be unveiled at the 2021 New York International Auto Show in August 2021.
The site that mentions this is a Subaru dealership that has a page up for the Solterra and also mentions that Subaru will offer a front wheel drive only option for "urban driving".... interesting.
Also they mention that the all wheel drive option will have dual function X-Mode.
Of course this is going to be Forester size, not Ascent sized... but I am interested to see how the Solterra looks and it's pricing. With it being based on the Toyota global e-TNGA I am hoping that the Solterra will not see too many first year model reliability issues as we saw with the 2019 Ascent that seems to have tarnished the Ascent's reputation.

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
And just a lil more off-topic news: 2023 Solterra to be unveiled at the 2021 New York International Auto Show in August 2021.
The site that mentions this is a Subaru dealership that has a page up for the Solterra and also mentions that Subaru will offer a front wheel drive only option for "urban driving".... interesting.
Also they mention that the all wheel drive option will have dual function X-Mode.
Of course this is going to be Forester size, not Ascent sized... but I am interested to see how the Solterra looks and it's pricing. With it being based on the Toyota global e-TNGA I am hoping that the Solterra will not see too many first year model reliability issues as we saw with the 2019 Ascent that seems to have tarnished the Ascent's reputation.
I'm still trying to find such an actual statement, beyond Denis Flierl at Torque News saying someone else (Kazuhiro Abe) said it (and then others using his article as a source).

If I find confirmation, I will let everyone know. All Subies have been FWD capable designs for a long time - so, the capability isn't necessarily indicative of anything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The subaru at a glance shows that the Onyx is some features over a premium - so falls between the premium and limited, and is priced accordingly

• Exclusively 7-passenger configuration with second-row captain seats
  • Carpeted floor mats with Onyx Edition XT logo
  • Gray StarTex® upholstery with silver stitching
  • Extensive exterior black trim, including door frames, quarter window trim, A-pillars and badges
  • Front grille, exterior mirrors and rear roof spoiler feature Crystal Black Silica finish
  • 20-inch black finish alloy wheels with
  • 245/50R20 all-season tires
  • LED fog lights, including covers with black finish trim
  • LED headlights with a black inner bezel and black extension
  • Rear combination lights: incandescent and LED with black chrome garnish extension
  • Gloss black interior accents
  • Auto-dimming rear-view compass mirror with HomeLink® and thin-frame design
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Keyless Access with Push-Button Start
  • Power rear gate

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
I was hoping it would at least get a new color option, but that is typically limited to the mid-cycle refresh so it makes sense. The Cascade Green Silica that was announced for the Japanese forester would be perfect and I hope that comes to the Ascent next year.

As for the Onyx, it really appears that was just an appearance package. The only hint of it being an off-road sort of focused trim is the navigation being a part of the package instead of the Harmon Karman audio system. Unlike the Outback Onyx it seems to be missing the front view camera and the full size spare. Also they curiously added a heated steering wheel. I would much rather have had other things instead of that. Hard to say what changes were influenced by part supply issues though. I'm guessing most of the 2022 models will be heavily affected by that.

41 - 60 of 135 Posts