Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 40 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
517 Posts
Possibly dual mode X-Mode. If this has memory seats (unlike the Outback Onyx) then it will be a very likely future target for my family.
I thought the Ascent already had top of the line x-mode.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I thought the Ascent already had top of the line x-mode.
Nope, just the standard x-mode that debuted on older models. Some of the current Foresters and Outbacks have dual mode which has two settings. The outback wilderness has an even newer version of it where one mode won't deactivate after going over 25 MPH. It will just shut off until it is back bellow 25.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I’ll be quietly waiting,then jump out of the weeds for the trade-up
What features on the Onyx would attract you enough for an abandonment of your current one? e.g. powertrain, wheel and suspension, interior/exterior coloring or styling, or AWD improvements.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
865 Posts
I'm looking to add chrome and they are trying to turn Chrome black.......I'm just gonna go chrome my eyeballs so everything I see is chrome.
Here you go...

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
517 Posts
Nope, just the standard x-mode that debuted on older models. Some of the current Foresters and Outbacks have dual mode which has two settings. The outback wilderness has an even newer version of it where one mode won't deactivate after going over 25 MPH. It will just shut off until it is back bellow 25.
I swear I saw a video that said the Ascent had the dual x-mode essentially, but it automatically switches. The Forester's dual x-mode has to be manually changed. I just can't find the video/article.

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I swear I saw a video that said the Ascent had the dual x-mode essentially, but it automatically switches. The Forester's dual x-mode has to be manually changed. I just can't find the video/article.
We have 4.44:1 low gearing, so, we have advantages built in to the design already... and, (perhaps what you read), the Ascent automatically takes care of "shifting" down really low when needed. As a matter of fact, our effective gearing is pretty much about what the low gear in dual range Subarus was.

But, people like buttons and settings, so, to compete with the lackluster inferior Faux Wheel Drive systems out there with their 5.9 different off road settings, I would not be surprised if we see a few more so people feel happy about having extra buttons to press.

·
Registered
218 Posts
What features on the Onyx would attract you enough for an abandonment of your current one? e.g. powertrain, wheel and suspension, interior/exterior coloring or styling, or AWD improvements.
Powetrain. I want the 3.6 6-Cyl with a turbo. maybe even, gasp an automatic transmission.
suspension. Let’s get some better articulation.
dual mode Xmode with no speed limit.
exterior upgrades. Ground clearance. Bigger wheel arches and tires. Front end approach angle improvement And ACTUAL GD recovery hook points. I would need it all to consider trading mine in. I think it is already a capable an versatile vehicle. These upgrades would make it the de facto Subaru adventure vehicle.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Powetrain. I want the 3.6 6-Cyl with a turbo. maybe even, gasp an automatic transmission.
exterior upgrades. Ground clearance. Bigger wheel arches and tires. Front end approach angle improvement And ACTUAL GD recovery hook points. I would need it all to consider trading mine in. I think it is already a capable an versatile vehicle. These upgrades would make it the de facto Subaru adventure vehicle.
Well, other than possibly changes to X-Mode, I don't think you are getting any of those things with an Onyx trim. Hell, you probably won't even get all that when the Wilderness trim eventually makes it to the Ascent and that will likely not be until the gen 2 model.

That said, the Ascent is in no way meant to be the de facto Subaru adventure vehicle. It is marketed (and rightly so) toward families who do adventuring on the side. The people doing hardcore adventuring mostly have no need for something the size of the Ascent. IMHO, it will always play second fiddle to the Outback and Forester (or other smaller crossovers they make) when it comes to off-road capability.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
"There's no replacement for displacement" is the old age saying that attributes to big engine with many cylinders. I think that's necessary for supercars or high-end sport cars. That's my hope, too, but I'm quite pessimistic about it.

My dream would be for a modern flat 6 w/ DI non-turbo, but that takes substantial amount of R&D. Given that Subaru gonna electrify all of their vehicles in the next decade or so, the "replacement for displacement" may come from electric power. I mean, look at Tesla, their cars can go nearly 2sec from 0-60s and no other production car in the world can do the same.

I like the CVT. I think it's a fine product. I know significant amount of people question them, but it works for my family.

Give us a damn circular wheel arches! lol... The odd-looking oblong shape of the rear wheel arch may attributes to the "most easily access to 3rd row in its class". I think a 265/60/18 (50mm ET) with 30.5" overall diameter will work; couple ppl tried same tire setup but w/ 40mm ET w/o any rub. The OEM tires are 29.5" tall, IIRC

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,267 Posts
"There's no replacement for displacement" is the old age saying that attributes to big engine with many cylinders. I think that's necessary for supercars or high-end sport cars. That's my hope, too, but I'm quite pessimistic about it.

My dream would be for a modern flat 6 w/ DI non-turbo, but that takes substantial amount of R&D. Given that Subaru gonna electrify all of their vehicles in the next decade or so, the "replacement for displacement" may come from electric power. I mean, look at Tesla, their cars can go nearly 2sec from 0-60s and no other production car in the world can do the same.
I strongly expect that Subaru is "done" with 6 cylinder ICE at this point and as you note, they are more likely to enhance things via hybrid and EV technologies going forward. The acceleration, especially at onset, with electric motors can plant you very firmly in your seat. I owned an '06 Highlander Hybrid and that thang was like a race car from a standing stop if I floored it to get out our driveway without getting run-over by heavy traffic. Torque is amazing with electrification.

Reactions: zachavm and Trey T

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
941 Posts
The traditional "replacement for displacement" was a high-revving engine that made a lot of power way up in the power band. This usually worked well for race cars but wasn't all that useful for normal cars. Modern turbocharging has made a pretty good case, at least in my opinion, for using smaller engines in larger vehicles. The torque output of our FA24F easily outclasses naturally aspirated 6s around town. The CVT and throttle mapping is a little goofy...if that were straightened-out, I think this would really be a world class powertrain.

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I think most people misread your comment... alas, I think I did not...

When we tackled the 4x4/Jeep trails in Moab, the 2020 Forester with TR580 CVT and my 2019 Ascent with TR690 CVT made it up the steep incline at the beginning. The 5EAT geared automatic based Baja had to be winch towed up it. The TR690 CVT (especially the radiator cooled TR690's in the Ascent) trounce every automatic Subaru has ever used, including the dual range automatics.

As for power, the FA24DIT/TR690 drivetrain trounces the outgoing H6/TR690 combo used in the Outback. The blazingly faster 0-60 speeds show that. As it is, our half ton heavier Ascents have been clocking near identical times to the outgoing Outback 3.6R, even with the half ton of extra weight.

SO...
I can't even imagine what a refined H6 3.6 WITH a turbo would be like. If they made an H6 based off the FA platform, and turbocharged it, it would be an utter beast.

I too would LOVE to see something like that (but, honestly folks, I doubt we will)

I'd be fine with it mated to a refined TR690 that's been programmed/modded (valve body) to handle the extra torque (increased chain clamping pressure range), or a new CVT specifically designed to handle it. We could have the best of both worlds... a LOT more power, with a transmission that can seamlessly drop to low/crawl gear and back with no user intervention. I'd prefer it to an inefficient and range limited geared automatic.

My pics and vids are coming soon, but, to give you an idea of what we tackled (and where the Baja got stuck), here's me sitting in one of the holes we clawed our way over.

21 - 40 of 135 Posts