Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Well I take back what I said about the torque curve, it's pretty flat. Mustang dynos are known to be a little optimistic. They both seem a little high if you do the AWD parasitic loss math, but at least there is a real world baseline.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Wonder what fuel was used in this dyno. if 87 would love to know if this car responds better to premium 91/93. Probably no significant gains but im sure people are curious because of the cx-9
The CX-9 will outperform the Ascent, even if you tune the Ascent for Sunoco 104.

·
Registered
685 Posts
You can see significant gains with just a tune, what is your reasoning that a tuned Ascent wouldn't perform better than a stock CX-9?
Ok, this was unfair. We have yet to see what gains are to come from tuning. I think I was just soured because I think the dyno numbers are high.

Has anyone contacted any independent tuners? Does COBB have anything yet? I am actually very interested in the tuning side. I have worked for over 4 years with a tuner who has cracked many Subaru ECUs that few other tuners care about. I'm sure he could do his similar magic here. My tuner usually has curves on the conservative side, and they usually match real world dyno numbers very close. What bugs me is over-inflated gains and optimistic dyno numbers and the runaway claims that result.

I mean everyone with a COBB AP on their WRX is 450Hp, right? Just ask them.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The CX-9 will outperform the Ascent, even if you tune the Ascent for Sunoco 104.
I highly doubt that. As far as performance they are literally neck and neck when it comes to 0-60,1/4 mile, and rolling start despite the mazda being 250lbs less. Tuning the subaru for highoctane will mostly likely set ahead of most of its competition and will probably be the only 3 row SUV that will even have proper aftermarket tunes right now. I can this thing getting about 25-30hp throughtout the power band as well as torque

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ok, this was unfair. We have yet to see what gains are to come from tuning. I think I was just soured because I think the dyno numbers are high.

Has anyone contacted any independent tuners? Does COBB have anything yet? I am actually very interested in the tuning side. I have worked for over 4 years with a tuner who has cracked many Subaru ECUs that few other tuners care about. I'm sure he could do his similar magic here. My tuner usually has curves on the conservative side, and they usually match real world dyno numbers very close. What bugs me is over-inflated gains and optimistic dyno numbers and the runaway claims that result.

I mean everyone with a COBB AP on their WRX is 450Hp, right? Just ask them.
lol, yea your prolly right. I have a 2018 wrx now and Ive never tuned it but i hear the wrx can get like 40hp increase from tuning, which i think is what the ascent will get. 40hp doesnt sound like much but when the whole powerpand get it, it will feel like a different car

·
Registered
251 Posts
Tuning the subaru for highoctane will mostly likely set ahead of most of its competition and will probably be the only 3 row SUV that will even have proper aftermarket tunes right now.
The Ford Explorer and Flex with their ecoboost engines actually have pretty reliable aftermarket tunes available, so there is a market out there for it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Tuning the subaru for highoctane will mostly likely set ahead of most of its competition and will probably be the only 3 row SUV that will even have proper aftermarket tunes right now.
The Ford Explorer and Flex with their ecoboost engines actually have pretty reliable aftermarket tunes available, so there is a market out there for it.
Was not aware they had tunes available. Good to know

·
Registered
685 Posts
Was not aware they had tunes available. Good to know
Are there tunes available?

Keep in mind the COBB AP story for your run of the mill 2.5HT. The COBB stage 1 is basically remapping the throttle for CIA, or just remapping the throttle. Any "gains" on a stage 1 are negligible. A Stage 2, requires opening up the front end, and the back end. Stock manifolds and down-pipes, (j-pipe on these motors) exhausts would need to go and be replaced with (Supported?) aftermarket parts. That's is for a to get you the 40-50HP bump.

Any tune to the stock set-up will be little more than throttle-mapping and the resulting affect on the CVT. Add a 3-Port boost controller (who makes one? GrimmSpeed?) and you might be able to up the boost a bit and push a few more ponies. But, if you all are thinking Subaru left 50HP just sitting on the table and all you need is an AP to unlock it? I don't think so.

Time will tell.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have no interest in tuning it, but I could see them easily leaving some performance behind to balance fuel economy, overall reaponsiveness and longevity. I drove a pre-preduction engineering test of the first Caliber SRT4 and they tuned it down a bit for production, and that wasn't even a family car. But I could easily be wrong as well.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So pausing the video it looks like only 220 HP ? Or am I wrong?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Are there tunes available?

Keep in mind the COBB AP story for your run of the mill 2.5HT. The COBB stage 1 is basically remapping the throttle for CIA, or just remapping the throttle. Any "gains" on a stage 1 are negligible. A Stage 2, requires opening up the front end, and the back end. Stock manifolds and down-pipes, (j-pipe on these motors) exhausts would need to go and be replaced with (Supported?) aftermarket parts. That's is for a to get you the 40-50HP bump.

Any tune to the stock set-up will be little more than throttle-mapping and the resulting affect on the CVT. Add a 3-Port boost controller (who makes one? GrimmSpeed?) and you might be able to up the boost a bit and push a few more ponies. But, if you all are thinking Subaru left 50HP just sitting on the table and all you need is an AP to unlock it? I don't think so.

Time will tell.
I don't agree that Stage 1 gains are negligible, because I've seen 2015+ WRX's make 30-40hp/40tq just on a stage 1 dyno tuned. Maybe Off the Shelve tunes might be slightly negligible because your car might respond differently to a universal tune. But i will agree that Subaru did not leave 50hp on table, and im sure its going to take a few parts like intake, exhaust, charge pipe, Jpipe etc to even achieve some nice gains. I know perrin is working on the Ascent now so expect some cool stuff to be available. Im sure this car will have a ton of aftermarket support.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
So pausing the video it looks like only 220 HP ? Or am I wrong?
That's right, but that's at the wheels where power is delivered to the ground. Factory specs measure engines at the flywheel, not taking drivetrain loss into account.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I don't agree that Stage 1 gains are negligible, because I've seen 2015+ WRX's make 30-40hp/40tq just on a stage 1 dyno tuned.
Dyno tuned, implies highly involved tuning, which would also require road tuning. This is not canned tune. This is a different story. If it's the right dyno and and a good tuner, then maybe at sea level. I live at mile high, so I tend to be less provacative with claims. And lets not forget, the Ascent ECU is not a WRX already crack.

The sooner we see real tuned data on the table for this motor, the better. Other wise we are just speculating.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I know perrin is working on the Ascent now so expect some cool stuff to be available. Im sure this car will have a ton of aftermarket support.
What is Perrin working on? Intake, J-Pipe?

I take the other road. Lock down the chassis and stabilize the CVT mount...Trickle down effects from my work on the 2010+ Outbacks.

https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...uspension/1437-sway-bar-bushings-cke-ssp.html

https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/10-engine-technical-discussion/1525-cke-ssp-cvt-mount-insert.html

If you start add HP, the above will be a benefit.

·
Registered
213 Posts
What is Perrin working on? Intake, J-Pipe?

I take the other road. Lock down the chassis and stabilize the CVT mount...Trickle down effects from my work on the 2010+ Outbacks.

https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...uspension/1437-sway-bar-bushings-cke-ssp.html

https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/10-engine-technical-discussion/1525-cke-ssp-cvt-mount-insert.html

If you start add HP, the above will be a benefit.

Not sure what they are working as of yet, but on the nasioc forums they have posted that they have the car on a lift and looking for ways to make it better so im pretty sure intake, jpipe, tune.
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2835135&page=70

·
Registered
7 Posts
I made this video of this ascent on the dyno and I am the owner of the vehicle here at EROCSSPEEDSHOP..It is properly broken in..I wanted to see the baseline of the vehicle..I was very curious of the #s on the low reading mustang dyno 500.Right Here at Redline tuning a great freind of mine.Here is the dyno graph..3 pulls..Torque curve comes in very nice and the dyno was set with correction factors and vehicle wieght ect.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.