Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was looking around for OE trailer hitch information and stumbled across this link. It's full of PDFs for installing the Subaru accessories.

Worth noting, the hitch install looks like it would be a fairly straightforward DIY install.

https://subaru.oemdtc.com/category/accessory-installation-guides
I'm a DIY kind of guy and have a garage full of tools. The trailer hitch option is $499 MSRP and I will be spending north of $40K. I am not seeing where the economy is here. It is still too early for anyone to demonstrate that an aftermarket hitch is less expensive and demonstrably better.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
That's a great find, Flarpswitch. Some decent options that might allow one to order a lower trim level and still get some nice features!

+ Rockford Fosgate Audio Upgrade
+Remote Engine Start for push button or key
+USB charging port
+Trailer Hitch
+Adjustable Crossbar kit
+Engine Block Heater

·
Registered
171 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
It’s not as bad as it seems. I did it on my STI and I also drilled a roof rack into the roof because I hate the clamp style.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Has anyone seen any info on the “door scuff protectors” ? They are a dealer only installed accessory...I was wondering how hard they might be to install myself....Also wondering what they looked like....With kids it seems like it might be something nice to have.....unless they are ugly...

·
Administrator
10,446 Posts
Has anyone seen any info on the “door scuff protectors” ? They are a dealer only installed accessory...I was wondering how hard they might be to install myself....Also wondering what they looked like....With kids it seems like it might be something nice to have.....unless they are ugly...
Ridiculously simple if you can align them in a straight line. You will need scissors (not really - it's to cut the tape) and some painters tape will help as well.

• Align the included template with the body line feature that's above the lower door trim pieces.
  • Start to peel off the backing on the molding via the starter strips, starting at the reference tabs near the door seam.
  • Align and stick on starting at the reference tab.
  • Peel more of the adhesive backing off and continue.
  • Repeat for the other molding strips, also starting at center, on the reference tab (on the template) which is located at the door seams.

One of the videos online shows them installed on a cinnamon brown Ascent:

·
Administrator
10,446 Posts
Yeah if straightforward is "remove entire rear of vehicle"
It’s not as bad as it seems. I did it on my STI and I also drilled a roof rack into the roof because I hate the clamp style.
Yeah, it's not tough for someone mechanically inclined, but it is more than just removing the rear of the car. You will also be removing parts of the interior to run the wiring harness to the vehicle side hitch harness connector inside the rear trunk well. Not too bad, but, it will be inside and outside parts coming off, grommets, and a few other things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts