411 Posts
5000 lbs trailer capacity
External transmission oil cooler on Premium, Limited, Touring
optional Subaru Class III 2" trailer hitch
500 lb. tongue weight,

2", class III hitch:
optional on all models
Class III 2" trailer hitch
includes a live working 4 pin connector for brake lights to work, and a 7 pin electric trailer brake controller wire (wire only) from dash to hitch.
Note: it does not have an electric brake controller so you'll have to add an aftermarket electric trailer brake controller for the 7 pin wire to work.

as for more details I hope for others to chime in soon. I wouldn't call it a tow rig for heavy duty items; but a small boat or pop tent/ travel trailer would be ideal

see (https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...orum/1283-gross-vehicle-weight-rating-12.html)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Can it tow 2 horses and trailer?
Depends on the horse of course. :)

Horse weight ranges from 800-2200lbs. Then add in the weight of the trailer. I am going to guess you would want something with Class IV towing capacity. In which case a large size SUV or 1/2Ton pickup since most of those are built on the same frame.

·
Registered
597 Posts
This depends on the trailer a horse weighs around 1,000 lbs so if you have 2 that is 2,000 lbs which leaves 3,000 lbs for the trailer, hay, water, and equipment in the trailer. I'm not sure what the weight of a horse trailer is but if they are close to 3,000 lbs I would say get a different vehicle such as a Durango, Tahoe, or Expedition which have towing capacities above 7,000 lbs.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Depends on the horse of course. :)
A horse is a horse, of course, of course

Seriously, though, no. With one average sized horse, yeah.

A small trailer (Calico 2 horse trailer with electric brakes) weighs in right about 2,500 - 2,600 pounds. An average 'light' horse weighs 1,000 pounds. So you're talking at LEAST 4,600 pounds here for two horses, more likely closer to 5,500 because the horses probably weigh more like 1,500 pounds each.

Your average 1/2 ton pickup (Ford F-150) could pull it - they're on a frame and are designed to pull 8,000 - 12,000 pounds. The unibody construction of these cars just isn't.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Can it tow 2 horses and trailer?
I grew up with big cattle ranch Quarter Horses.
The two horse trailer alone with tack loaded into the nose tack compartment was well over 500lbs. Add a bag of grain or some other feed tgen two healthy 1800lb horses into a heavy built max 8.5ft wide duel axle trailer your easily over 5000lbs. Nothing fun in skidding through a wet intersection at 20mph in a slow motion wreck with your two best buddies behind you.

If you plan on towing and owning a horse trailer get a full size truck !!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.