Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I picked up my Ascent last 4th of July and I just cracked 20k miles on it. I'm writing this having newly arrived at my hotel after driving 3.5 hours in a blinding snow storm and even though I arrived safely thanks to wonderful Subaru engineering I will tell you that this is the last time I purchase the first year of a new model vehicle. This is my 6th Subaru since 1992 (1 Legacy and and 4 Outbacks) and I loved them all except for this Ascent.

1st Problem. You can't keep the **** radio off. Yes, you can turn the dial to "1". I know. But as anyone that often uses the hands free function and stays on a call while they are either getting in or out of the vehicle knows you will get blasted with something stupid on the radio the second you turn the car off. Yes. That's right. You turn the car off and the car switches from your phone call to the radio. Have fun explaining what that noise was on a your next conference call!

2nd Problem. It cost $900 to replace the front windshield. $250 of which is to recalibrate the eyesight. That's what I paid when it was installed at Flagstaff Subaru.

3rd Problem. If you break one of the front windshield wipers on a Sunday evening and you have to drive 200 miles in a snow storm there isn't a Napa, AutoZone or O'Reilly's that carries a replacement. How do I know? Because I went to all three and I ended up duct taping the closest **** thing I could find to the frick'in wiper arm because no one carries them. Of the hundreds of wiper blades these stores carry none of them will fit on the proprietary arm that Subaru just created for this car. Don't believe me? Google it. The only site that had one was an eBay auction.

I'd expect these money grubbing proprietary/dealership-only strategies from BMW or Audi not Subaru.

Subaru Love. I guess they want you to bend over to experience that properly.

·
Banned
145 Posts
1.) I will admit the radio thing is silly. It should be fixed period.
2.) The windshield cost is what you get to pay. Add the insurance so you only have the deductible. If you got into fender bender with the radar is damaged in the other makes, you will get a huge bill too. It is all about tradeoffs.
3.) I don't know where you are, but wipers are not hard to find.

napa brand WIP 6026FZ
BUYER'S GUIDE -THIS PART FITS THE VEHICLES LISTED BELOW.
Make Model Year Range
BMW X3 2018 - 2019
BMW X4 2019 - 2019
Jaguar E-Pace 2018 - 2018
Lexus NX 200t 2015 - 2017
Lexus NX 300 2018 - 2019
Lexus NX 300h 2015 - 2018
Subaru Ascent 2019 - 2019
Subaru Crosstrek 2018 - 2019
Subaru Impreza 2017 - 2019
Subaru XV 2018 - 2019
Toyota C-HR 2018 - 2019
Toyota Mirai 2016 - 2017

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
napa shows the blades online https://www.napaonline.com/en/search?text=wiper+blades&referer=herofitmentForm-savedveh

My comprehensive auto insurance covers the OEM windshield replacement and re calibration. I only pay the deductible of my choice when I signed the contract. These windshields are large and high tech. Low noise, increased glass breakage safety, embedded defroster, meets Subaru's safety specs including working with eyesight's.

·
Registered
113 Posts
1st Problem. You can't keep the **** radio off. Yes, you can turn the dial to "1". I know. But as anyone that often uses the hands free function and stays on a call while they are either getting in or out of the vehicle knows you will get blasted with something stupid on the radio the second you turn the car off. Yes. That's right. You turn the car off and the car switches from your phone call to the radio. Have fun explaining what that noise was on a your next conference call!
I seem to recall that the default setting for the radio is to turn off when the driver’s door is opened. However, I think the setting can be changed so that the radio will stop when you turn off the engine. But I can’t seem to find it in in the manuals tonight.

Does anyone else remember this or am I imagining this?

·
Registered
567 Posts
I seem to recall that the default setting for the radio is to turn off when the driver’s door is opened. However, I think the setting can be changed so that the radio will stop when you turn off the engine. But I can’t seem to find it in in the manuals tonight.

Does anyone else remember this or am I imagining this?

Yes, it does stop when the door is open IF you have turned the vehicle off. This can not be changed. If the engine is still running, the radio stays on when you open the door. If you are sitting in the car with the radio on and turn the engine off - there is a setting to select to keep it running for a very short time.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Reading the manual might help with the radio - press the volume button and hold it for 3 seconds or longer and the screen shuts down and the radio does not restart when you turn the car back on. In addition to the manual, it has also been mentioned several times on this site in the past.
I've figured this out on my own, but I think the complaint still stands because when you disconnect from a non-radio audio source (ie, if I unplug my iPhone from CarPlay), it automatically switches back to the radio. I'm also pretty sure if I was using Bluetooth when the car was shut off and I come back in, the sound system defaults to playing the radio.

It'd be kind of nice if there was a way to make it so that at startup if the last audio source wasn't available, the sound system would stay silent/muted and not default to the radio. The issue isn't that you can't turn it to some off mode, the issue is the radio is the default audio source and the system plays the radio when you don't have the radio selected.

But it's like the Subaru sound system is the only one out there that does dumb stuff. My wife's Acura has its own idiosyncrasies that are worse.

·
Registered
597 Posts

2nd Problem. It cost $900 to replace the front windshield. $250 of which is to recalibrate the eyesight. That's what I paid when it was installed at Flagstaff Subaru.

3rd Problem. If you break one of the front windshield wipers on a Sunday evening and you have to drive 200 miles in a snow storm there isn't a Napa, AutoZone or O'Reilly's that carries a replacement. How do I know? Because I went to all three and I ended up duct taping the closest **** thing I could find to the frick'in wiper arm because no one carries them. Of the hundreds of wiper blades these stores carry none of them will fit on the proprietary arm that Subaru just created for this car. Don't believe me? Google it. The only site that had one was an eBay auction.

I'd expect these money grubbing proprietary/dealership-only strategies from BMW or Audi not Subaru.

Subaru Love. I guess they want you to bend over to experience that properly.
1) Are you talking about when you are on a call in the car with the phone connected via Blu-tooth you turn off the car and the audio cuts to the phone and the radio turns on?

If so I don't have this issue I talk on my phone every morning on my way to work and when I park the car I turn it off the and the call is still going through the car until I open my door. The music never kicks on but as soon as I open the door the audio kicks over the to the phone. I'm not really good at starting up my earpiece and opening the car door so I only miss a few seconds of audio.

Yes it does happen when I first get in the car if you are on a call as it takes a second for the phone to connect and the radio will come on first unless you have it set to media.

2) Costs can vary a lot and I don't know if other places are cheaper but I have to admit I have only had one windshield replaced in 20 years of driving so my thoughts are it is what it is. Also you should only have to pay the deductible I would think.

3) I had not heard that they are proprietary in any way. Did you check to see if there was an adapter in the wiper package? I know my wife's car had to have an adapter which was included with the wipers I bought. I will be replacing mine this spring so I'll see at that point.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Reading the manual might help with the radio - press the volume button and hold it for 3 seconds or longer and the screen shuts down and the radio does not restart when you turn the car back on.
Kathryn, you are simply wrong. You could read the owners manual front to back and it still wouldn't help you. Along with going down to the dealership, I called Subaru Customer Service America and they admitted they were well aware of this issue. They explained that the infotainment system is programmed to turn on when the car is started. It defaults to the radio as the primary audio source. They explained that there is no way to permanently keep the system off even though you can press and hold the volume knob to turn the system off temporarily UNTIL the car is restarted when it will turn on again. They said that this issue may be addressed in a future system update.

Here's the email response I got from them when I followed up with an email complaint:

Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc. We appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

While this is the normal operating characteristic of the audio unit in your Ascent, we do appreciate your feedback and will be sure to pass it along to our Product Development department. Should a software updated become available, we will let you know. The most valued opinion of any business is that of its customers. Your comments are valuable to us in that they provide us with a clear picture of our products as seen by our owners.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of service.

Sincerely,

Amber Anglin
Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer/Retailer Services Department
1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)
Service Request Number: 1-36602729544

[THREAD ID:1-GTCBIVD]

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 9/26/2018 01:59:27 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Audio Issue

There is a very annoying default on the radio console. It defaults to the radio being on when you start the car or remove a device from one of the inputs. I understand that you can press and hold the volume button for 3 seconds to turn the unit off but that only works part of the time. Instances when the radio unintentionally turns on are: 1. You are on a call via a cell phone attached to the usb port. Once you remove your cell phone from the usb connection the radio blares on. This is extremely frustrating if you are on a conference call and want to exit the vehicle while being on the call. 2. You turn the radio off by pressing and holding the volume button. The unit turns off and stays off, UNTIL you attach your phone to any of the inputs. If your phone is connected the system turns on and is fed by the external port. When you disconnect the device, the system defaults to the radio being on. Very annoying. For me, having the default 'on' of the radio is particularly annoying because I travel to many cities by car. Most of the time, when the radio defaults to 'on', it blares static because I am in a different city from the one that the radio was tuned to. It either blares static or some other annoying sound that I don't like. Could you please consider updating your software so that the infotainment system doesn't defaults to the radio being on? I have owned 5 Subarus in the past and none of them had this obnoxious glitch."

In terms of the windshield wipers, picture yourselves driving to an automotive store on a bitter cold snowy Sunday night in Flagstaff. You're worried about the cops pulling you over because you can barely see out of your windshield. You get the guy there to run your car info and he says they don't have a wiper blade that fits the Ascent. You look at an entire aisle of wiper blades, hundreds of them and you ask how that is possible. The guy is nice enough to crack open a couple of packages and help you look at the mount on your wiper blade arm. Even with all the adapters that come with the replacement blades none of them are working. Your fingers are about to fall off because it's so cold out so you end up duct taping one just to make it work. Remember, this is with the help of a guy who installs these for customers every day. This was the best solution we could come up with. Then you head over to a Napa store because the solution sucks. You're craning your neck trying to see out of the 20% of windshield that is actually being cleaned. The road is an ice rink because they don't salt the roads in Flagstaff. Napa says they have the part in their system but they don't have it in stock. You go online and discover that beyond Napa, NO ONE carries this blade. You can't even find a site other than eBay that sells it or even has a picture of it. So, because you have to get home to Salt Lake, you spend 9 hours on the road, 5 hours of which are in a snow storm, pissed off because your car is near disabled because of a frick'in windshield wiper. You think with every swish of the useless blade, some bean counter wanted to make an extra $10 on a proprietary replacement by changing up the mount and forcing Subaru owners to go to the dealership to buy one.

Yesterday, I went to a dealership in Salt Lake and the parts department only had the driver's side windshield wiper in stock! They were out of the passenger side. So I bought two to guard against this from happening again. I urge all of you to do the same. You do not want to go through what I experienced.

I've loved my Subaru Outbacks in the past. I've driven them for over 20 years. They are reliable, cheap to maintain and they are rock solid in the snow. These are very small problems that could be addressed so easily if the right person were to know about them.

·
Banned
145 Posts
In terms of the windshield wipers, picture yourselves driving to an automotive store on a bitter cold snowy Sunday night in Flagstaff. You're worried about the cops pulling you over because you can barely see out of your windshield. You get the guy there to run your car info and he says they don't have a wiper blade that fits the Ascent. You look at an entire aisle of wiper blades, hundreds of them and you ask how that is possible. The guy is nice enough to crack open a couple of packages and help you look at the mount on your wiper blade arm. Even with all the adapters that come with the replacement blades none of them are working. Your fingers are about to fall off because it's so cold out so you end up duct taping one just to make it work. Remember, this is with the help of a guy who installs these for customers every day. This was the best solution we could come up with. Then you head over to a Napa store because the solution sucks. You're craning your neck trying to see out of the 20% of windshield that is actually being cleaned. The road is an ice rink because they don't salt the roads in Flagstaff. Napa says they have the part in their system but they don't have it in stock. You go online and discover that beyond Napa, NO ONE carries this blade. You can't even find a site other than eBay that sells it or even has a picture of it. So, because you have to get home to Salt Lake, you spend 9 hours on the road, 5 hours of which are in a snow storm, pissed off because your car is near disabled because of a frick'in windshield wiper. You think with every swish of the useless blade, some bean counter wanted to make an extra $10 on a proprietary replacement by changing up the mount and forcing Subaru owners to go to the dealership to buy one.

Yesterday, I went to a dealership in Salt Lake and the parts department only had the driver's side windshield wiper in stock! They were out of the passenger side. So I bought two to guard against this from happening again. I urge all of you to do the same. You do not want to go through what I experienced.

I've loved my Subaru Outbacks in the past. I've driven them for over 20 years. They are reliable, cheap to maintain and they are rock solid in the snow. These are very small problems that could be addressed so easily if the right person were to know about them.

I am just about tired of this.
If you are going to make a trip through a snow storm and can not see do to a broken part, pull over, get a hotel and wait it out. DO NOT TRAVEL DOWN THE ROAD WHEN YOU CAN NOT SEE.

Your "proprietary replacement" is used on hundreds of different cars for the driver side. You "proprietary replacement" passenger wiper is available at autozone in salt lake city.

It is an odd size but pretty much standard for most honda's, volvo's, and toyota's.

https://www.autozone.com/ignition-t...de-wiper-blade-windshield/479691_452860_25448

Acura (93)
Audi (215)
BMW (125)
Buick (120)
Cadillac (96)
Chevrolet (120)
Chrysler (140)
Dodge (188)
Fiat (49)
Ford (391)
Genesis (9)
Honda (471)
Hyundai (280)
Infiniti (169)
Jaguar (83)
Jeep (107)
Kia (196)
Land Rover (24)
Lexus (166)
Lincoln (93)
Mazda (137)
Mercedes Benz (363)
Mitsubishi (140)
Nissan/Datsun (289)
Pontiac (12)
Porsche (61)
Scion (14)
Subaru (224)
Suzuki (21)
Toyota (780)
Volkswagen (61)
Volvo (236)

·
Registered
418 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
In our Ascent Premium, built in August, if I press and hold the volume button for three seconds, the unit does turn off and does not come back on ever unless I press it again, no matter how many times the engine is started or stopped. Maybe it’s different in the Limited, Touring, or those with Nav, but it ALWAYS works in mine. So @kathytn is right.

I should add that if you just want to charge your cell phone while driving, use the USB ports behind the center console. This will eliminate the on/off issues with the unit when plugging or unplugging.

I should also add that I assume SOA is also right in their response to the examples given.

·
Registered
567 Posts
In our Ascent Premium, built in August, if I press and hold the volume button for three seconds, the unit does turn off and does not come back on ever unless I press it again, no matter how many times the engine is started or stopped. Maybe it’s different in the Limited, Touring, or those with Nav, but it ALWAYS works in mine. So @kathytn is right.

I should add that if you just want to charge your cell phone while driving, use the USB ports behind the center console. This will eliminate the on/off issues with the unit when plugging or unplugging.

I should also add that I assume SOA is also right in their response to the examples given.

It's the same in the Touring - that's what I have. I assume it's the same in all, I don't recall there being an exemption when I read it.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Kathryn, you are simply wrong. You could read the owners manual front to back and it still wouldn't help you. Along with going down to the dealership, I called Subaru Customer Service America and they admitted they were well aware of this issue. They explained that the infotainment system is programmed to turn on when the car is started. It defaults to the radio as the primary audio source. They explained that there is no way to permanently keep the system off even though you can press and hold the volume knob to turn the system off temporarily UNTIL the car is restarted when it will turn on again. They said that this issue may be addressed in a future system update.

Here's the email response I got from them when I followed up with an email complaint:

Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc. We appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

While this is the normal operating characteristic of the audio unit in your Ascent, we do appreciate your feedback and will be sure to pass it along to our Product Development department. Should a software updated become available, we will let you know. The most valued opinion of any business is that of its customers. Your comments are valuable to us in that they provide us with a clear picture of our products as seen by our owners.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of service.

Sincerely,

Amber Anglin
Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer/Retailer Services Department
1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)
Service Request Number: 1-36602729544

[THREAD ID:1-GTCBIVD]

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 9/26/2018 01:59:27 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Audio Issue

There is a very annoying default on the radio console. It defaults to the radio being on when you start the car or remove a device from one of the inputs. I understand that you can press and hold the volume button for 3 seconds to turn the unit off but that only works part of the time. Instances when the radio unintentionally turns on are: 1. You are on a call via a cell phone attached to the usb port. Once you remove your cell phone from the usb connection the radio blares on. This is extremely frustrating if you are on a conference call and want to exit the vehicle while being on the call. 2. You turn the radio off by pressing and holding the volume button. The unit turns off and stays off, UNTIL you attach your phone to any of the inputs. If your phone is connected the system turns on and is fed by the external port. When you disconnect the device, the system defaults to the radio being on. Very annoying. For me, having the default 'on' of the radio is particularly annoying because I travel to many cities by car. Most of the time, when the radio defaults to 'on', it blares static because I am in a different city from the one that the radio was tuned to. It either blares static or some other annoying sound that I don't like. Could you please consider updating your software so that the infotainment system doesn't defaults to the radio being on? I have owned 5 Subarus in the past and none of them had this obnoxious glitch."

Sorry, I missed the phone part. I've never connected it to the front USB ports

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think you're being a bit over the top, Trico carries it, Napa has it... Sams club carries Peak brand which has the rear one too.

Yes I think all automakers should standardize the **** things though :)

My insurance for this is no cost to me for windshield replacements.

And I have not been able to duplicate your issues with my phone and bluetooth with the radio.

·
Registered
232 Posts

I read your story and could imagine being in your situation, and how maddening it would be! That was just a horrible day all around. I've had my share of those...Nothing goes right and nothing can be made right. But in the end of the day, the wiper issue is a relatively small issue (but wasn't on that particular crazy drive in a snowstorm). And the radio issue will more than likely be fixed in a future update. Subaru seems to not be able to get these things straight in the first year (or two) but the bugs all seem to get tended to eventually, once they are on their radar. As for the insurance issue and windshield - that seems like something to do with personal insurance choices. For many years I never suffered windshield cracks, but when I moved to the Southwest, I was losing them like nobody's business! Landrover, Toyota FJ, Volkswagen - I was a stone and pebble magnet! It's the desert, and to make it worse the Highway folks use stones for landscaping the highways! Getting back, I have Insurance with a $250 windshield deductible. So that's what I pay. If your insurance doesn't have a windshield add on, I would consider it. It can't be that much. Then you know you will never face that crazy $900 dollar bill again. When I saw your post, I was thinking "Oh G-d, what happened to this guy's Ascent..." Thinking it was something big (for me) like a drivetrain issue, electrical problems, reoccurring issues etc. I have owned a lot of "oddball" (unreliable) vehicle brands in the past and I really feel for anyone experiencing problems with their car. And I felt badly reading about your experience. Having said that, I was somewhat relieved to hear of your issues which would not be deal breakers or "love" breakers for me. I once owned an Alfa Romeo Spider while living and working in the Palm Springs/Indio area of Southern California. It seems like every two weeks, I had to drive to a mechanic in San Diego, to get that very sexy (to me), hi drama, hi maintenance car fixed...That really tested *my* love. ;) Anyway, I hope your drama is over for the year, and that you will have smooth sailing from now on. Be careful out there on those long drives.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yes, it does stop when the door is open IF you have turned the vehicle off. This can not be changed. If the engine is still running, the radio stays on when you open the door. If you are sitting in the car with the radio on and turn the engine off - there is a setting to select to keep it running for a very short time.
My 2017 Ford Fusion Platinum works exactly the same way. I have had the car for 2 1/2 years and have never used the radio. I always plug in my iPhone and use Apple CarPlay. I have an extensive music library on my iPhone and listen to "my stuff."

To avoid the problem of the car switching to the radio, I shut off the engine and crack open the door before disconnecting my iPhone.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I use Carplay 100% of the time in my Ascent. The radio thing bothered me too. I solved my issue by setting the radio to XM Radio Channel 0. It's a dead station, so it doesn't play ANYTHING. No static, nothing. It's just silent. Since it defaults back to the radio when you shut the car off, my Spotify music stops, and the silence of channel 0 is all I get.

Simple fix. No door trickery, holding buttons, nada.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.