Subaru Ascent Forum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

· Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
760 Posts
@TheRaven You're correct! That's in the Mt Shasta area. Nice 2 day road trip and got to see a lot of the destruction from the fires. Pretty overwhelming sight.
Beautiful area, and sad that the fires damaged some of that. The fire seasons throughout the west just seem to be getting worse and worse.

Side note re: Mt Shasta. Years ago I was driving back from SF to Portland, but I left SF late enough at night where I ended up needing to pull over at a rest stop at around 3 or 4am to catch a couple hours of sleep. The weather had been really cloudy, plus it had been dark. When I woke up at daybreak it was sunny and clear, and Mt Shasta was staring right at me! Had no idea that rest stop was that close to the mountain, but dang it made for one heck of a nice view to wake up to.

· Registered
583 Posts
Beautiful area, and sad that the fires damaged some of that. The fire seasons throughout the west just seem to be getting worse and worse.

Side note re: Mt Shasta. Years ago I was driving back from SF to Portland, but I left SF late enough at night where I ended up needing to pull over at a rest stop at around 3 or 4am to catch a couple hours of sleep. The weather had been really cloudy, plus it had been dark. When I woke up at daybreak it was sunny and clear, and Mt Shasta was staring right at me! Had no idea that rest stop was that close to the mountain, but dang it made for one heck of a nice view to wake up to.

That sounds fantastic! Wow, what a way to wake up!

We drove as close as we could to Shasta before the road closed to get some photos. I got a few in before a random car comes speeding up to us and then slammed on their brakes. The driver comes out of the car, screaming "WHAT DID I HIT?!?! DID YOU SEE WHAT I HIT?!?!?" Even though I asked if they were alright and if they needed any help, they just ignored me. We got spooked and just left.

· Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
760 Posts
That sounds fantastic! Wow, what a way to wake up!

We drove as close as we could to Shasta before the road closed to get some photos. I got a few in before a random car comes speeding up to us and then slammed on their brakes. The driver comes out of the car, screaming "WHAT DID I HIT?!?! DID YOU SEE WHAT I HIT?!?!?" Even though I asked if they were alright and if they needed any help, they just ignored me. We got spooked and just left.
What's funny is that I had the same thing happen in Denali National Park the first time I went backpacking there. First day of hiking was a cloudy, drizzly day, and I set up my tent on the top of a small hill that first night. Woke up in the morning to a perfect sunny day and Denali herself was staring me in the face. Didn't even have to get out of the tent to see that gorgeous mountain in all its 20.000 foot glory. Perfect way to start a day!

And that episode you mentioned with the screaming driver sounded weird indeed. Strange.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts