Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was first made aware that Subaru was going to make the Ascent, I saw this article from April 12, 2017 on the web from Car and Driver. I fell in love with the looks, especially the interior. Very sexy. I thought, what a modern looking car, not at all a mini van. The front view too was pretty awesome, especially the headlight module.

Ascent concept photo link

So what happened Subaru?! While I really like my new 2020, it's a pretty far cry from that 2017 concept vehicle to teased us with, looks-wise. I guess 19 cup holders was more important than touch screen rear climate controls. Ha!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,843 Posts
Concept interiors are always the "bee's knees", but rarely make it to production. The exterior is remarkably similar, however. Yes, some differences, but they are likely because of production practicality as well as stay in the Subaru lane of not being "too way out there"...

But like you, that original concept is likely why I'm in an Ascent today. It caught my eye and I knew that when I was done with what I was then driving, I'd be driving a Subaru next for my personal vehicle. (Other Subaru's already in the driveway)

·
Registered
28 Posts
If were talking about concepts, can we talk about the WRX concept from the 2013 NY Autoshow? Thing looks nothing like the production model that came out. Not even the general body shape! I was so hyped that the plummet to reality almost made my cry :cry:

Concept WRX from 2012
Production WRX from 2015

At least the Ascent kept a very similar design to the concept.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think we got a decent rendition of the original Ascent concept. The accent lines and sculpting were obviously toned down but that's how all concept vehicles goes. The concept is definitely more muscular and beefed up. Kinda like a buffed Zac Efron (production model) to John Cena (beefy concept) just comparing physical attributes (not acting abilities).

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Subaru sure knows how to design a concept. I wish the tail lights would have made it into production. I think the concept's tail lights look way better than what made it into production.

Another thing that's subtle is the lower offset of the concept's wheels. Those look more like +30-35 than the +55 we have. It makes a big difference in the posture of the car. I have a feeling that the concept's shifter will make it into a future production Subaru.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
627 Posts
I'm all for a return of the bug eye front and hatchback rear. Better yet, just give me the 5door hatchback WRX and we can call it even.

·
Registered
646 Posts
If the interior held that design theme it would be awesome . They really cheapened it especially in lower trims

·
Super Moderator
2,425 Posts
We had far less problems with our Hyundai Sonata and Kia Soul than we have had with our Subaru Outback. There was a time when Kia's and Hyundai's were lackluster and cheap, but not any more.
Did you really enjoy driving the Kia or Hyundai though? If so that's great, I just never could. Thats just my opinion.
Sure it would've been cool if Subaru stuck with the concept design. I don't think the way the Ascent's look's turned out takes anything away from how it drives though. The final product looks very Subaru. While I expect a certain amount of reliablility, which many Kia's and Hyundai's deliver, I also enjoy the drive. I've never been in a Kia or Hyundai that I could say I enjoyed driving, including a Stinger or Genesis. Maybe lackluster would've been a better word to use than cheap.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I actually found the Kia Soul to be a fun little car to drive. I drove a rental Soul all over San Antonio last time I was there and found it to be surprisingly engaging and zippy. If I were in the market for a car of that size/type the Soul will truly be at or near the top of my list.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,843 Posts
My ex and her partner both have Souls; twins except for slightly different colors...they love them.

Reactions: Sparkland
1 - 19 of 19 Posts