Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So now that I've done approximately 30 seconds of research and found that I'm not alone in having battery problems, my question is how did you'll get the battery fixed?

Also for those who got their battery replaced, what did you go with?

Is there an email I can send to discuss how reimbursement works for a new battery? Did you go to your local Subaru dealer and did they replace it with a new battery?

Information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Have you reported it when you have had service done and or a separate complaint. You'll need that history to get Subaru Customer Service to work with you. I took my car in 5 times for warranty work or the oil changes and complained each time. They checked it out and said the battery showed good, but I had driven an hour + to get to the dealer so of course it was fully charged. Look back at your invoices for the work you've had done. I made a note in Google Calendar each time I had an issue with the battery being dead. Talked to Support, sent them my documentation. They told me to go buy the battery I wanted, have it installed and they would reimburse me up to $250. I put in a Group 24F battery quite a bit more of a battery than the Group 35 it comes with. Had to do a little mod to the tray it sits in but cables fit just fine. I spent $318 on the Batteries and Bulbs X2 Power Plus AGM battery that is made by NorthStar Battery out of Springfield, MO. The best AGM battery on the market. They however are hard to find and in talking to their sales manager, he advised the Batteries & Bulbs was the same battery just had a different color top on it. It has the NorthStar name and logo on it as manufactured by NorthStar.
I was pleasantly surprised after submitting my receipts and paperwork, I got an email from Charles the Customer Service rep I had dealt with. He had approved my reimbursement and I should be receiving a check for $318 in 5 to 7 days. I wasn't about to ask why, I was happy to get fully reimbursed. Got the check a few days later.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Perfect thank you for this information. Just a couple questions. When you said support, are you referring to your dealer support or was that Subaru of America support. I sent them a PM on twitter but haven't received anything yet. What is a group 24F battery? I have a Limited '19 so I don't really know which battery it uses.

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into a NorthStar battery.

It's going to the dealer soon so we'll see what happens then. I'm 90% sure by the time I go to the dealer, the battery will indicate as "charged."

·
Registered
95 Posts
Subaru of America Support, When I called the person that first came was like a screener, listened to my issue and then switched me up to advanced support.

A battery group defines the size, reserve power and post orientation of the battery. The Ascent comes with a Group 35 battery. Group 24F is about the same size, but is 1.2 inches longer. A 24F AGM battery will give between 30-40 % more capacity than the conventional Group 35 Flooded lead/acid battery that came in your Ascent.
I'd also look at getting TSB# 07-155-19R https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10176017-0001.pdf It fixed my battery draw if I left the tailgate open. There are plenty of posts on this issue also.
Make sure you have your VIN handy when you call. They can actually look up all the work youv'e had done at a Subaru dealer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'd also look at getting TSB# 07-155-19R https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10176017-0001.pdf It fixed my battery draw if I left the tailgate open.
I have a question about interpreting this bulletin. Why is the model year 20 highlighted for the Ascent? Does that reflect a recent change? And since it says there was a change that was effective for model year 20, does that indicate that 2020 and 2021 Ascents should not experience the lift gate power draw issue?

I am about to take my 2020 Ascent camping on BLM land and would like to get the work done before I go if it needs an update. Thanks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I don't have a copy of that right in front of me, but it should have the last 8 digits of the VIN starting with an alpha character. Any vehicle made after that VIN should have the new module in it.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Here's what happened to me and what I did. My battery had died several times and I had been recharging it with a battery charger. When it happened again, I called Subaru Customer Service. The rep told me to take it in. I told him that I'd rather just buy a battery and install it myself. He was amenable to that and gave me his email to send the receipt. So I went to Autozone and bought an Odyssey 34R-PC1500T. I sent Subaru the receipt and they reimbursed me the full amount of the Odyssey battery including taxes.

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-...y/odyssey-battery-34r-pc1500t/411443_232631_0

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well here's an update. Car battery is so dead that even a jump start won't crank it over. So currently getting towed from my driveway :(

Thanks for the suggestions. Will look into the various batteries and order.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Well here's an update. Car battery is so dead that even a jump start won't crank it over. So currently getting towed from my driveway :(

Thanks for the suggestions. Will look into the various batteries and order.
Once the battery is flattened to 6-8 Volts or even less, neither a jump start, a battery jumper pack, or a microprocessor-based battery charger will often help.

One way to try to get the dead battery back is to slow charge it at around 1-2 amps or so using a "dumb" or "manual" battery charger that has no internal logic circuity to try to monitor the batteries condition. These are getting hard to find because the majority of newer chargers are automatic or microprocessor controlled. With manual chargers, they didn't try to access the battery's condition and it was up to the user to carefully control the charge time.

A manual charger will simply try to force charge a battery without monitoring its condition. You could try to slowly charge a flat battery at 1-2 amps for a few hours until its voltage was back to the point where an automatic battery charger would again recognize it as alive and then take over and properly finish the charge.

I've had to do this several times to my Subaru battery. Keep in mind that each time a battery is fully depleted, sulfation occurs which eventually will weaken or kill the battery. Some better chargers have a desulfation cycle which should be used whenever a battery is recovered like this. But each time you flatten the battery so low that an automatic battery charger will no longer recognize it, it's been compromised.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you mention the type/name of battery you have? I have the 2019 Ascent with the factory battery, premium model and have had no problems whatsoever, unless I caused it myself. Did not press the start button again after turning it on to shut the windows when the car was turned off. That of course drained the battery, but once charged again had no issues. You need to contact service to see if something in the car is affecting the battery.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts