Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has a 2019 Ascent and uses it for her Dog Trials. This requires her to keep the rear hatch open for cooling of the dog.
Unfortunately , this causes the battery to die, every time! We thought we had it figured out but no.
Is there ANY way to keep the battery from dying while keeping the rear hatch open?
The deal was clueless on this matter.
Do I have to install a battery cut off switch to prevent this issue.
Thanks
Rich

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,578 Posts
There are multiple threads on this down in the appropriate forum discussion areas that you'll want to check out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some people are placing a carabiner in the latch to replicate the hatch being closed.
Yes we use a bar that we used to use on her outback with no issues that closes the latch and turns off the dash hatch open light. BUT, once the hatch is open and the latch closed, the fob wont open the latch to release the bar or carabiner. You have to carefully, manually close the hatch to simulate closed (with the carabiner or bar installed) then hit the keyfob to open the latch, OR you have to pop open the latch cover from inside and manually unlatch the mechanism. A fix would be cool that allowed the keyfob to open the latch if the hatch was already open.

·
Registered
124 Posts
There are people that replace the battery with a deep cycle battery like an optima d34/35. They also add a device that will disconnect power if the battery hits a certain voltage. You just have to hit the brake or something to tell the device to turn the power back on. Both changes should help in your situation.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,578 Posts
If I read correctly, the title of this forum is
Subaru Ascent Battery Dies if Hatch left open
That's the thread title you created for your question. The forum area here is for feedback on the forum site, itself. As I noted, there are multiple threads in other forum discussion subject areas relative to battery draining and the rear hatch. I'm just trying to point you to information that will be helpful.

Reactions: pro10is

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
If I read correctly, the title of this forum is
Subaru Ascent Battery Dies if Hatch left open
That's the thread title you created for your question. The forum area here is for feedback on the forum site, itself. As I noted, there are multiple threads in other forum discussion subject areas relative to battery draining and the rear hatch. I'm just trying to point you to information that will be helpful.
Right, if you read those threads you'll find a great deal of info on this subject. This thread is just a duplicate of a problem already very thoroughly discussed, and you posted it in the wrong forum section. No need to start a duplicate conversation when everyone else is already discussing this in other threads.

He was just trying to help by pointing you in the right direction.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yes, this known issue to Subaru owners is infuriating them and is an unnecessary dissatisfier. To put more pressure on Subaru to resolve this issue, I would call the SOA customer service line and open a complaint file. That way, your issue becomes a permanent record and part of their system as something that needs to be addressed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts