Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to read up on the 2019 VW Toureg, and I honestly think I'd choose the Toureg over the Ascent. It's pretty close to the Audi Q7; the technology offered in the car is ridiculous; the car has the most advanced driver assist tech compared to most other cars not named Tesla.

Unfortunately, the new Toureg is NOT going to be marketed in the US; it's only marketed in China at this point. This is such a major shame! I think this car would compete very well against the Subaru Ascent.

Anyone know more about the Toureg and can share their opinions on the pros and cons, if even just for a fun discussion on how the Ascent holds up?

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2019-volkswagen-touareg-suv/

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I don't think it's a fair comparison. It is like a $60,000 vehicle. That's a different segment entirely.

Also, no thank you to VW's insane regular maintenance costs. Wanted $400-600 for my gf's annual service for her Jetta after her warranty ran out. (synthetic oil change and tire rotation/balance) We traded it in and she ended up leasing a CX-5 with 3 years maintenance included.

Reactions: Tigers196884

·
Registered
978 Posts
I don't think it's a fair comparison. It is like a $60,000 vehicle. That's a different segment entirely.

Also, no thank you to VW's insane regular maintenance costs. Wanted $400-600 for my gf's annual service for her Jetta after her warranty ran out. (synthetic oil change and tire rotation/balance) We traded it in and she ended up leasing a CX-5 with 3 years maintenance included.
There are Subaru dealers selling people “alphabet” services B,C etc for $400+. All depends if you’ll fall for the BS service charges. That’s all on the dealer who is a 3rd party and not the Auto maker. Every Auto Maker would like to hear about dealers scamming customers. Trust me they don’t take it lightly.

A recent parent on our local parents network was complaining about their leased Infinity just cost them a surprise $900 for a transmission service. It had 20,000 miles on it. I posted a screen shot of their owners manual showing transmission service due at 60,000. Plus it was leased!!!! Guess what Infinity sent them a $900 check.. I’m sure the dealer got a umm chewing from the area rep.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
The high price tag is primarily due to the high cost of producing RWD platform. There's only one company in the world that can stay in business and be competitive in most (if not all) aspects - Subaru.

I'm not sure how many people here understand why Ford Explorer and Nissan Pathfinder moved away from RWD platform (2010 and 2012, respectively) to produce FWD vehicles. It's primarily because of high production cost and poor fuel efficiency. Subaru have surpassed those challenges that Ford and Nissan could not endure.

·
Administrator
10,457 Posts
Toureg over the Ascent

CONS:
  • The VW/Audi AWD still doesn't compare.
  • It's ridiculously priced for a little more glitz.
  • The Subaru collision avoidance system still rates top in class.
    *****As a matter of fact, IIHS rates Subaru Outback's collision avoidance WELL above the Toureg, and the Ascent is well beyond the Outback:
    *****----Outback 6/6 2018 Subaru Outback
    *****----Toureg 3/6 2017 Volkswagen Touareg
  • It seats less people
  • It's more expensive to maintain
  • Not a very trustworthy company
  • It has worse gas mileage

PROS:
  • It tows more
  • It has more bells and whistles

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Toureg over the Ascent

CONS:
  • The VW/Audi AWD still doesn't compare.
  • It's ridiculously priced for a little more glitz.
  • The Subaru collision avoidance system still rates top in class.
    *****As a matter of fact, IIHS rates Subaru Outback's collision avoidance WELL above the Toureg, and the Ascent is well beyond the Outback:
    *****----Outback 6/6 2018 Subaru Outback
    *****----Toureg 3/6 2017 Volkswagen Touareg
  • It seats less people
  • It's more expensive to maintain
  • Not a very trustworthy company
  • It has worse gas mileage

PROS:
  • It tows more
  • It has more bells and whistles
I didn't know the price tag of the Toureg (someone mentioned $60k), so that was very helpful information to the forums' members. I also didn't realize the Toureg seats only 5 and not 7-8, so that was also very helpful in helping us (me) understand that the Toureg may not be comparable.

The fact that you simply combined all the technology that the Toureg offers into one bullet, "It has more bells and whistles" makes you look very bias. I'm just as excited for the Ascent as most on this forum (I've been a pretty darn active member), but let's have a little more integrity in helping all members on this forum. The Toureg is loaded with technology that rivals the Audi Q7, and I'd believe most members here would prefer the Toureg's technology offerings to the Ascent.

TL;DR - Ascent is not comparable to Toureg for a few couple major reasons: price tag and seating capacity.

·
Administrator
10,457 Posts
I didn't know the price tag of the Toureg (someone mentioned $60k)...

The fact that you simply combined all the technology that the Toureg offers into one bullet, "It has more bells and whistles" makes you look very bias.

LOL, it wasn't biased. It was me combing $15,000-$20,000 worth of "bells and whistles". Sorry, I thought the bias was yours - I didn't know you didn't realize the car was ridiculously more expensive.

And honestly, if you want to compare those "bells and whistles", we can... but they aren't worth the massively higher price tag on a car that's not as safe, has a faaaar worse collision avoidance system, less seats.

Don't get me wrong, the Toureg is a beast (for its size) for towing. For THAT, it's a GREAT pick, and Subaru has NOTHING that compares. BUT, then again, neither does VW now that the Toureg is no more.

Sorry Go, I honestly didn't realize you didn't know about the big price tag difference. :crying:

BELLS AND WHISTLES COMPARISON
So, let's compare them, dollar for dollar. That's an Ascent vs nothing (there's no new Touregs anymore, and never was any in the same price range). Or it's an old Toureg vs 1.5 Ascents.

Let's talk about technology. Again, Subaru absolutely obliterates VW/Audi on pre-collision avoidance and AWD. Subaru has CarPlay and Android Auto standard. VW has their CarConnect instead. The sound system is *supposedly* as good in the Subaru, but I've never heard it.

BUT, the VW beats the Subarus with a 360° view camera. It has higher seat adjustability. It also has better adjustability (on higher trim levels) on non-drivers seats. It has a cooled glove box.

As I said, not worth as much as $20k more.

>> 2017 Volkswagen Touareg - Buyers Guide | Autoweek
>> 2017 VW Touareg Trim Levels: Sport vs. Wolfsburg vs. Executive

·
Registered
201 Posts
Although there are a few new 2017’s to be had....VW, I understand will not offer the 2018/2019Touareg in the US market...so that should be an additional factor to consider in this comparison discussion.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Buddys in Europe call it Towrag its kinda a euro joke especially given more are sold here than Europe. Its a crazy high cost vehicle to own. You would do better with a Range Rover and that’s saying something given RR are horrendous when it comes to reliability and dealer repair costs.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't know the price tag of the Toureg (someone mentioned $60k)...

The fact that you simply combined all the technology that the Toureg offers into one bullet, "It has more bells and whistles" makes you look very bias.

LOL, it wasn't biased. It was me combing $15,000-$20,000 worth of "bells and whistles". Sorry, I thought the bias was yours - I didn't know you didn't realize the car was ridiculously more expensive.

And honestly, if you want to compare those "bells and whistles", we can... but they aren't worth the massively higher price tag on a car that's not as safe, has a faaaar worse collision avoidance system, less seats.

Don't get me wrong, the Toureg is a beast (for its size) for towing. For THAT, it's a GREAT pick, and Subaru has NOTHING that compares. BUT, then again, neither does VW now that the Toureg is no more.

Sorry Go, I honestly didn't realize you didn't know about the big price tag difference.

BELLS AND WHISTLES COMPARISON
So, let's compare them, dollar for dollar. That's an Ascent vs nothing (there's no new Touregs anymore, and never was any in the same price range). Or it's an old Toureg vs 1.5 Ascents.

Let's talk about technology. Again, Subaru absolutely obliterates VW/Audi on pre-collision avoidance and AWD. Subaru has CarPlay and Android Auto standard. VW has their CarConnect instead. The sound system is *supposedly* as good in the Subaru, but I've never heard it.

BUT, the VW beats the Subarus with a 360° view camera. It has higher seat adjustability. It also has better adjustability (on higher trim levels) on non-drivers seats. It has a cooled glove box.

As I said, not worth as much as $20k more.

>> 2017 Volkswagen Touareg - Buyers Guide | Autoweek
>> 2017 VW Touareg Trim Levels: Sport vs. Wolfsburg vs. Executive
You’re comparing the 2017 Toureg, which has nothing to do with the 2019 toureg that I provided a link to. I’d appreciate if you would at least click the link to learn more about the 2019 before you reply with a condescending and/or disrespectful tone.

·
Administrator
10,457 Posts
You’re comparing the 2017 Toureg, which has nothing to do with the 2019 toureg that I provided a link to. I’d appreciate if you would at least click the link to learn more about the 2019 before you reply with a condescending and/or disrespectful tone.

I didn't respond disrespectful. You accused me of a bias because you didn't know that the car was $15,000-$20,000 more expensive and only sat 5 people - you literally compared a car to the Ascent that you didn't even know the basics about and called me biased. That was very rude of you. Seriously, I didn't make the mistake, yet I'm the one who you went on a big paragraph rant about being biased because I didn't go into a deep enough point by point about a car that doesn't yet exist?

And secondly, until there's a production vehicle, no, I don't go by what a concept looks like that no one has gotten their hands on. Remember the Ascent concept? Yeah that's not what we got. Virtually never is, with virtually any car. VW has a mixed track record of wildly different concepts and concepts that nearly nail the production version. That too had literally nothing to do with you. There's no Toureg on sale. I went with what I could get my hands on, instead of vague-ish pre-prod/concept car promises.

And besides, I can't even find a configuration tool for it, because there isn't one available to this country, so I had to use the 2017 as a comparison.

Please stop taking your mistake so personally and taking it out on others. I don't do subtle condescending. I'm very direct. You read into what I wrote.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Although there are a few new 2017’s to be had....VW, I understand will not offer the 2018/2019Touareg in the US market...so that should be an additional factor to consider in this comparison discussion.
It would be too risky to continue the sales here in North America. It's difficult to compete in that market segment. They've tried it but their sales have been in declined for many years while JGC and 4Runner had significant increase share in the market. The sales is something like 1:200, touareg:JGC.

The Touareg was quite unique and offered many model (different drivetrain) to compete against the existing line of JGC and obviously not nearly as successful. JGC line is much wider than 4Runner, it offers daily driver, towing, and high performance type packages to select from.

·
Administrator
10,457 Posts
It would be too risky to continue the sales here in North America. It's difficult to compete in that market segment. They've tried it but their sales have been in declined for many years while JGC and 4Runner had significant increase share in the market. The sales is something like 1:200, touareg:JGC.

The Touareg was quite unique and offered many model (different drivetrain) to compete against the existing line of JGC and obviously not nearly as successful. JGC line is much wider than 4Runner, it offers daily driver, towing, and high performance type packages to select from.

I think that's part of why they switched to the Atlas, in order to satisfy US demand/need. I think it's better suited than the Toureg for what most people seem to be gravitating towards.

But, the big part that's lacking (in the Ascent or the Atlas) is the much higher towing available on the Toureg.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
And likely cheaper and more profitable to produce than the Touareg. VW is becoming like Honda w/ all FWD cars.

·
Administrator
10,457 Posts
And likely cheaper and more profitable to produce than the Touareg. VW is becoming like Honda w/ all FWD cars.

The part I find "interesting" (or more accurately, don't like) is that a number of VWs with 4Motion, such as the Alltrack, are designed just like the rest (eg: in the same class, Nissan and many Hondas), where it's a highly front wheel drive biased car, with limited rear wheel assist. The Drive describes it thusly:

Today's Volkswagen 4Motion-equipped vehicles run in front-wheel-drive mode to save fuel during ideal conditions, but when things get a little slippery, power is immediately sent to the rear wheels to keep you from spinning off the road.
That's a divergence from VW's own bragvertising of the past (a few years ago), where they used to brag about having real, always on, AWD.

For instance, just two years ago, this is what VW themselves wrote in their press release:
In addition, unlike vehicles that use part-time AWD technology, 4MOTION is engaged and ready for action. Although part-time systems can engage quickly, even fractions of a second can make a surprising difference.
Nowadays, for cars in the Ascent/Outback class, that's not the case, as is seen in the AllTrack and others in the VW line. Subaru already beats the Audi Quattro system (and thus beats the VW full-time AWD 4MOTION systems based off the full-time AWD Quattro systems). Now it crushes the new 4MOTION variants.

I CANNOT FIND how the 2019 overseas Toureg will be handling AWD (full time or part time). I'd hope they'd keep it full time AWD.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Audi FWD is a prime example of lean manufacturing (for higher profit). One, their AWD is not standard option like Subaru (besides the BRZ). Second, they have a longitudinal engine/tranny layout for FWD. Audi understand the benefit of balanced drive train to compete against BWM (and alike) and they continue to adopt the longitudinal engine layout, but they cut corners and made most of theirs cars FWD instead of RWD. It's a lean operation because you can skip 3-4steps as it moves down the production line w/ FWD setup.

Out of the box, Subaru give you all of that for competitive pricings. This is something very few car owners understand.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The tech on this is sweeeeeeet....

Considering that I had a reservation for a Model 3 before we ended up with a 2nd baby (which at that point I asked for my $ back), I'm a true sucker for the tech part :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
The tech on this is sweeeeeeet....

Considering that I had a reservation for a Model 3 before we ended up with a 2nd baby (which at that point I asked for my $ back), I'm a true sucker for the tech part :)
My neighbor just got his Model 3 when I got my Ascent and he was shocked at the amount of tech in the Ascent. He is now looking at some of the other Subarus for his wife as the Ascent is larger than he needs.

·
Registered
277 Posts
However Model 3 will get continuous updates over the air ( most visible example is update to shorten breaking distance). I highly doubt that conventional cars (even with ability for over the air updates, such as Ascent) will ever get updates with the same frequency.

My friend’s Model 3 also has side cameras, enabling them is just a matter of the software update.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts