Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My subaru 2019 is showing this problem lately. I start the car remotely and it starts fine and idles for at least 7 minutes and when I start moving suddenly the engine slows down and appears to shut down. I have put it back in parking mode and run the engine with more power.

On a different occasion, when I was driving, stopped at the stop light and again the same problem. I am worried if this not fixed it might happen when the car is moving on a highway and cause bigger problems

Did any one experience this problem? if so, can it be something fixed by dealers. My car is still in warranty

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
That's hardly normal. Have you checked to see what recalls are open on your Ascent?

Most common possibilities...
  • Fuel pump recall not completed, and the impeller broke
  • horrible gas
  • low oil
  • CVT was drained partially at a non-Subaru oil change location (eg: Jiffy Lube)*

There are other potential causes, but they're very rare, and don't usually apply to newer Subarus. I'd have the dealership check it out.

I'd start by going here, enter your VIN, and see if you have any outstanding recalls.

* IF you think this is the cause, stop driving, and have it towed to your dealership.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's hardly normal. Have you checked to see what recalls are open on your Ascent?

Most common possibilities...
  • Fuel pump recall not completed, and the impeller broke
  • horrible gas
  • low oil
  • CVT was drained partially at a non-Subaru oil change location (eg: Jiffy Lube)*

There are other potential causes, but they're very rare, and don't usually apply to newer Subarus. I'd have the dealership check it out.

I'd start by going here, enter your VIN, and see if you have any outstanding recalls.

* IF you think this is the cause, stop driving, and have it towed to your dealership.
Thank you Robert. I did the VIN check for recalls and there were fuel pump replacement that was done in April 2020. I read about PCV valve check in one of the posts. I have scheduled an appt with the dealer for this Monday and I will post here what comes out of the diagnosis. I hope this is not a big problem with Engine. Subaru engines typically run for long with out any problems. This is first Subaru. Hopefully everything turns out good.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Thank you Robert. I did the VIN check for recalls and there were fuel pump replacement that was done in April 2020. I read about PCV valve check in one of the posts. I have scheduled an appt with the dealer for this Monday and I will post here what comes out of the diagnosis. I hope this is not a big problem with Engine. Subaru engines typically run for long with out any problems. This is first Subaru. Hopefully everything turns out good.
If the PCV valve recall wasn't done, PCV valve failure/failing could cause it. Good news is, it's not a design problem with the FA24F. Anecdotally, I'm at almost 70,000 miles and will be in the middle of the desert off roading when I break 80,000 miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is the latest update mySubaru Ascent
I took it the dealer GrandSubaru in Bensonville, IL. They were able to replicate the problem and noticed that engine is losing power. They had a Subaru field service engineer analyze the data and first replaced the fuel pump and it didn't fix the problem. In subsequent testing, noticed that that the fuel pressure sensor has a reading on one side and on the other side it is reading 0. Replaced that and the problem is resolved. The dealer kept the vehicle and tested for a couple of days and it is shutting down of the engine is not happening anymore. The car is under warranty so everything is covered. All good for now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts