Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2019 Ascent one year ago this month. 2 days in a row the car wouldn't start. First day all the dash lights came on and it made that clicking sound. After a jump, started fine. Today it was deader than a door nail but started after another charge. No lights, doors or hatch were left on or open. And I had just driven the car the day before. This same thing happened to my friend's Ascent. I took it in to the dealer today. With all the discussion I'm reading, seems like there definitely is an issue with the battery. Do you think they'll announce a recall? Should I ask them to replace the battery?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I bought my 2019 Ascent one year ago this month. 2 days in a row the car wouldn't start. First day all the dash lights came on and it made that clicking sound. After a jump, started fine. Today it was deader than a door nail but started after another charge. No lights, doors or hatch were left on or open. And I had just driven the car the day before. This same thing happened to my friend's Ascent. I took it in to the dealer today. With all the discussion I'm reading, seems like there definitely is an issue with the battery. Do you think they'll announce a recall? Should I ask them to replace the battery?
I doubt a recall, but they will replace it. I suggest you choose your battery and have the dealer or SOA reimburse you. I do not suggest you replace your OEM battery with another OEM battery. The many previous posts can be reviewed for battery recommendations.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
If they don't reimburse you for a new battery, do yourself a huge favor and buy an Everstart MAXX-35N battery from Walmart. You won't have any more such problems again.

I was dealing with many issues from the OEM battery. I purchased the MAXX-35N battery about a year ago and have not had any problems since. It's probably the best battery you can get for the money.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,886 Posts
The battery is covered under your warranty. You may also be able to replace it with a battery of your choice and get reimbursed. There are multiple threads already in existence about battery life and replacements.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If they don't reimburse you for a new battery, do yourself a huge favor and buy a MAXX-35N battery from Walmart. You won't have any more such problems again.

I was dealing with many issues from the OEM battery. I purchased the MAXX-35N battery about a year ago and have not had any problems since. It's probably the best battery you can get for the money.
If they don't reimburse you for a new battery, do yourself a huge favor and buy an Everstart MAXX-35N battery from Walmart. ¹ was dealing with many issues from the OEM battery. I purchased the MAXX-35N battery about a year ago and have not had any problems since. It's probably the best battery you can get for the money.

Thank you so much for your very helpful information!! It's really been great for the rest of us not to learn the hard way. My follow on questions, who is SOA? Also, Since I'm under warranty for 2 more years, should I just let the dealer replace the battery for now and wait to get the MAXX-35N closer to the end of my warranty period? I'm worried if I have any more electrical problems over the next 2 yrs and I put in my own battery, they wouldn't cover fixing them.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I doubt a recall, but they will replace it. I suggest you choose your battery and have the dealer or SOA reimburse you. I do not suggest you replace your OEM battery with another OEM battery. The many previous posts can be reviewed for battery recommendations.
Thank you!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The battery is covered under your warranty. You may also be able to replace it with a battery of your choice and get reimbursed. There are multiple threads already in existence about battery life and replacements.
Thank you so much!

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Thank you so much for your very helpful information!! It's really been great for the rest of us not to learn the hard way. My follow on questions, who is SOA? Also, Since I'm under warranty for 2 more years, should I just let the dealer replace the battery for now and wait to get the MAXX-35N closer to the end of my warranty period? I'm worried if I have any more electrical problems over the next 2 yrs and I put in my own battery, they wouldn't cover fixing them.
Thanks again!
Sorry about using inside jargon. SOA = Subaru of America.

If you have a concern with the vehicle that the dealer is not handling in a manner that is acceptable to you or you want oversight of how the dealer will handle it or you want Subaru corp to know about it, then call SOA 1-800-782-2783 (not ghostbusters - a different phone number). Some posters have provided direct line phone numbers to the SOA representative they worked with, but it should not matter. I have had nothing but great SOA service regardless of who I worked with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry about using inside jargon. SOA = Subaru of America.

If you have a concern with the vehicle that the dealer is not handling in a manner that is acceptable to you or you want oversight of how the dealer will handle it or you want Subaru corp to know about it, then call SOA 1-800-782-2783 (not ghostbusters - a different phone number). Some posters have provided direct line phone numbers to the SOA representative they worked with, but it should not matter. I have had nothing but great SOA service regardless of who I worked with.
Thank you so much!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Thanks again!
You could ask SOA if they would pay for a non-OEM battery. I have no faith in Subaru OEM batteries anymore and I would never put another one in my car, the battery is too important and a bad one can strand you. If they say no, I would rather pay $100 for a new MAXX-35N battery than deal with more issues from the Subaru batteries. But that's just my opinion and that is exactly what I did. I didn't even bother with SOA, I had better things to do. No regrets as I have no more battery issues.

If you have any non-battery related electrical issues within the warranty period, changing to a different battery brand will make absolutely no difference. You're allowed to chose whatever battery brand you want.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
If they don't reimburse you for a new battery, do yourself a huge favor and buy an Everstart MAXX-35N battery from Walmart. You won't have any more such problems again.

How was the fit? Another friend of mine went with a 24F after finding a 27F didn't fit.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Who would’ve thunk that Walmart would make such a great battery ? I never could’ve imagine it.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Who would’ve thunk that Walmart would make such a great battery ? I never could’ve imagine it.
Well, they don't actually manufacture it, but they do spec it. It's probably made by Johnson Controls.

#2 rated by Consumer Reports in Group Size 35. Not bad for such an inexpensive battery.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welcome to the club, I now have had 2 batteries replaced. My 2019 has less than 7K miles, I did have a Owlcam connected and after I disconnected, all seems to be ok. Owlcam was supposed to disconnect when battery reached a certain point, technicians at dealer did question this device as being a drain. One thing for sure, I don't totally feel out of the woods as of yet. Good luck, I really do like my Ascent.?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Well, they don't actually manufacture it, but they do spec it. It's probably made by Johnson Controls.

#2 rated by Consumer Reports in Group Size 35. Not bad for such an inexpensive battery.

View attachment 3802
  1. I stand corrected,at least they carry a quality battery from a respected company.Either marketing did their homework(R&D) or just got lucky it’s a win win for consumers.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,886 Posts
Pretty much all private label batteries sold by mass market retailers are made by one of something like three manufacturers. There is likely very little actual real-world difference between the decent quality offerings from any of them despite the shoot-outs that get published from testing organizations and other outlets. They have to pick winners from whatever testing session contributes to the ranking but if that same test was repeated a day later with "new" batteries from the same source, the ranking could end up different just because of the individual batteries that are being tested. The results are a good guide to identify the "short list"...from there, it's a matter of price, availability and, perhaps, the buyer's feelings about the vendor in general. IE, I don't do business with Wally World for personal reasons, so my choice would be one of the alternatives that were viewed as similar in quality and performance.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts