26. GMC (59)
  27. Alfa Romeo (59)
  28. Jaguar (57)
  29. Cadillac (57)
  30. Land Rover (50)
  31. Jeep (49)
  32. Mitsubishi (46)
  33. Fiat (43)
Consumer Reports also eliminated the luxury and non-luxury division stating there isn't enough difference these days for the separation into two categories.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Interesting that Porsche and Subaru are pretty much the only ones using boxer engines, and they score really high. Maybe it's just a coincidence, maybe the engine type is helping with reliability, who knows.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Never heard of Genesis. Clearly they failed....lol
It is a fantasic value. The mistake Kia/Hyundai made was not putting in it separate upscale dealerships like Toyota did for Lexus, Nissan for Infinity, and Honda for Acura. I know a few guys cars that love them but didn't buy one strictly because they didn't want to sit around in a Kia/Hyundai dealership for maintenance.

·
Registered
776 Posts
It's also interesting, 7-8 of the top 10 brands tend to have very loyal followings ( Kia/Hyundai, and possibly Mazda being the exception). It could be a chicken and egg type of situation- are they brand loyal because the cars are reliable, or are they rated more reliable bc the people tend to like the cars and don't want to say anything too negative, or are the cars just more reliable ( I know the magazine tends to weight every category the same, so minor things like navigation usability could impact a score as equally as having a major engine issue)? Sounds like a master's thesis for someone..

·
Super Moderator
2,434 Posts
...or are they rated more reliable bc the people tend to like the cars...
Do people who actually like cars buy Hyundai’s and Kia’s?
In a hasty regrettable decision between when my last car was totaled and the Ascent was produced I owned a SantaFe and my wife currently owns a Sorento. They’re both cheap to maintain...but the boringness! Zero enjoyment in driving or doing maintenance. My Subaru, while similar size to the Santa Fe, is on a whole different level. I love driving it and working on it!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,883 Posts
xy', there are many folks who adore "boring"...and Hyundai/Kia have also hit a good place in the marketplace with their pricing and features for many folks who might like more exciting better, but can afford more features with H/K.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's also interesting, 7-8 of the top 10 brands tend to have very loyal followings ( Kia/Hyundai, and possibly Mazda being the exception). It could be a chicken and egg type of situation- are they brand loyal because the cars are reliable, or are they rated more reliable bc the people tend to like the cars and don't want to say anything too negative, or are the cars just more reliable ( I know the magazine tends to weight every category the same, so minor things like navigation usability could impact a score as equally as having a major engine issue)? Sounds like a master's thesis for someone..
If Toyota is getting dinged for not having modern electronics it would explain why Toyota comes in at 12. I always joke that Toyota reliability comes from not putting any new technology in until it is mature technology.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
From Consumer Reports:

"Porsche pulls into the top spot this year, leapfrogging third-place Subaru, whose score remains unchanged. Genesis holds steady in second place. Those are CR’s findings, based on our exclusive testing and member surveys. The leaders benefit from outstanding results in our road test and reliability and owner satisfaction surveys, which are factored into each model’s Overall Score. The best brands on this list tend to have more vehicles in their product lineups that consistently performed well.

CR recommends all the Porsche, Genesis, and Mazda (another top brand) models we’ve tested. Subaru falls just short of that distinction because of the below-average predicted reliability of its WRX sedan. Tesla was the biggest gainer, climbing eight positions because of the improved reliability of the Model 3 and Model S sedans.
The bottom brands are also an unchanged club, with Fiat, Mitsubishi, Jeep, Land Rover, Cadillac, Jaguar, Alfa Romeo, and GMC again falling short. We tested a total of 36 models from those brands, and we recommend only one, the Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Brands that move slightly up or down in our ranking tend to have new or redesigned model offerings, such as Audi with the A6 and A8, or changes in predicted reliability. Shoppers should remember that models from all brands can vary in reliability performance.

How We Rank the Car Brands
Brand report cards are built on an average of the Overall Score for each model tested. A brand must have at least two models tested to be included. The Overall Score is based on four key factors: road test, reliability, owner satisfaction, and safety.
• The road-test scores are for vehicles purchased by CR and run through more than 50 tests.
• Reliability predictions are based on problems reported by CR members in 17 trouble areas.
• Owner satisfaction from surveyed CR members reflects whether drivers would purchase the same car if they had it to do again.
• Safety includes crash-test results and extra points awarded for proven advanced safety features that come standard for the model."

·
Registered
776 Posts
It's interesting, bc I feel like my Ascent is more of an appliance than anything else.... let me clarify that... it's a perfectly nice car, it does everything pretty well, but I don't smile when I drive it ( it's the reason I added an F pace to the garage recently)and it doesn't excite me in any way like some cars do. That being said, I don't know that anything in the segment would do that except for the CX-9, to be perfectly honest with you.
If I were looking for a sedan, the new Sonata looks really really nice. I sat in one while my Subaru was getting serviced and was very impressed with it. Had the telluride / palisade been out when I bought the ascent, I would have test driven that as well. But I wouldn't pay over MSRP for it, or any car, for that matter.
I am definitely not a badge snob, I do know that much.

·
Super Moderator
2,434 Posts
xy', there are many folks who adore "boring"...
My wife is one of them. She likes her Sorento because it gets her from point a to b. She dislikes the features on my Ascent. She downright hates my Bimmer I’m always wrenching on.
I was referring more to car people—people who get satisfaction from driving a fun car and don’t mind fixing and upgrading things. I don’t think Kia and Hyundai have anything that fills that niche. But I agree, they have found their own separate market.

·
Registered
731 Posts
It’s a shame Subaru is suffing so much profit loss due to the constant recalls.
its a seemingly endless stream of new recalls and TSB fixing crap. Cost-cutting And so many bad parts that is catching up to them. Hoping this will get better in the years to come. And, I’m glad they are stepping up to fix a lot of the issues.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I wonder about that too.. I thought all suppliers had special insurance for this type of thing. After all it's not subaru's fault this problem has developed. I'm curious how much this problem actually costs subaru.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,883 Posts
It’s a shame Subaru is suffing so much profit loss due to the constant recalls.
its a seemingly endless stream of new recalls and TSB fixing crap.
I'm not sure that Subaru is very unique in this particular competition...as the tech ramps, so do the needs for fixes.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I'm not sure that Subaru is very unique in this particular competition...as the tech ramps, so do the needs for fixes.
Add to that on time delivery and how much of the supply chain is now outsourced from it. I read that when other manufacturers teardown a Tesla their conclusion is they can't do what Tesla did/does because they no longer have complete control over parts and implementation as they don't make much themselves these days. Changes Tesla can implement in a few months would take traditional manufacturers a couple of years.

·
Registered
731 Posts
42% loss latest quarter - all due to warranty stuff.

It's real and it's a big deal. Subaru needs to get a handle on their quality. It's a good thing they're still growing leaps and bounds, but they need to really fix the issue.
Most of these issues are not new tech related problems. Take the brakes - it's 2020 and Subaru sends out faulty brake pads and rotors on a bunch of new Ascents. I mean they're brakes.
It's a lot of the basics that should not have issues.
I love Subaru, but they need to get it together. I'm scared to death to buy a first year new STI or BRZ this next year - swore I'd never do it again with Subaru as it's bit me every time, but life is short. We'll see.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts