Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having my Ascent for a month, I finally got a chance to really test my mats this morning, unfortunately, they are going on the list of items to be replaced.

I was carrying a fruit cobbler to work this morning and I put it in the front passenger side foot well. (yes, in addition to kayaking, biking, driving around in mud and **** and subaru things, I cook...) By the time I got to work, maybe a 1/4 cup a sugary fruit water had spilled out. It was thiiiiiiiiis close to spilling out (which would have been a mess to clean out of the carpet) and I had a heck of a time getting the mat out of my car without spilling it, to clean it out.

The ones I have in my Sequoia have 3/4 inch ridges running all over in a pattern and you could spill an entire cup of coffee and it would hold it. I will say that, in our excitement, we bought the Subaru mats sight unseen. But don't regret that, because, even only a month in, my carpet would be a filthy mess.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Sounds like Weathertech will be getting your call soon lol.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Mine will be getting replaced as well. Will be swapping them out for the Weathertechs as soon as they come out. I bought the Subaru ones as a temporary solution until then. They're nice but definitely could have used some higher ridges.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Having my Ascent for a month, I finally got a chance to really test my mats this morning, unfortunately, they are going on the list of items to be replaced.

I was carrying a fruit cobbler to work this morning and I put it in the front passenger side foot well. (yes, in addition to kayaking, biking, driving around in mud and **** and subaru things, I cook...) By the time I got to work, maybe a 1/4 cup a sugary fruit water had spilled out. It was thiiiiiiiiis close to spilling out (which would have been a mess to clean out of the carpet) and I had a heck of a time getting the mat out of my car without spilling it, to clean it out.

The ones I have in my Sequoia have 3/4 inch ridges running all over in a pattern and you could spill an entire cup of coffee and it would hold it. I will say that, in our excitement, we bought the Subaru mats sight unseen. But don't regret that, because, even only a month in, my carpet would be a filthy mess.

Yep... it was mentioned on here in the pre-order days that the Subaru mats were going to be like Weathertech. So I blindly put that accessory in my order. They are definitely not weathertech comparable. Thinner and as noted, the lips are much shorter. I'll be switching out as well.

·
Registered
597 Posts
My biggest problem with the mats is they have no texture and are so smooth I almost slipped when I first got into the car. They are starting to rough up a bit but I think they could do a better job designing them. No plans on replacing them at this time but time will tell if I need to sooner rather than later.

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
I am probably getting the Husky Liners, unless there's a LOT of good reports on the WeatherTechs. Bad experiences with the 2010 Outback mats (and 2010 was the first of the generation, so, it's not even like SoA made changes since the generation's first WeatherTech measurements).

·
Registered
138 Posts
It might help to wait for some mats to get reviewed or show up locally before buying. Sometimes there are flaws and its more of a paint to resolve the issue. Folks just resort to selling them for cheaper.
Shame that car makers still don't offer mats like WT or Husky.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have replaced my front and 2nd row with the Weathertech mats. They arrived and I made the cuts to ideal fit. I am very pleased for 80 bucks - no question about it. The only complaint is the driver side mat did not have the right placement for the in floor archors so I made a quick X in the mat where they were pushing up - perfection. Ok, one other complaint but not against Weathertech but their courier - UPS - they suck, didn't show up and then just left them at a "local" depot for me to pick up. UPS you suck.

AVM - https://www.weathertech.ca/en/all-vehicle-mats-avm/ is what I bought.

·
Registered
542 Posts
My biggest problem with the mats is they have no texture and are so smooth I almost slipped when I first got into the car. They are starting to rough up a bit but I think they could do a better job designing them. No plans on replacing them at this time but time will tell if I need to sooner rather than later.

Never tried it but you could try what they do on glock grips, take a soldering iron and stipple the finish.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Does anyone has any info if and when Husky are going to start making floor liners for the Ascent? The OEM one on the driver's side has a horrible coverage I already managed to get the carpet under the gas pedal dirty. I love my Husky liners on my Outback.

According to another member who emailed Husky, they do not plan on making mats for the Ascent.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have replaced my front and 2nd row with the Weathertech mats. They arrived and I made the cuts to ideal fit. I am very pleased for 80 bucks - no question about it. The only complaint is the driver side mat did not have the right placement for the in floor archors so I made a quick X in the mat where they were pushing up - perfection. Ok, one other complaint but not against Weathertech but their courier - UPS - they suck, didn't show up and then just left them at a "local" depot for me to pick up. UPS you suck.

Nice one and good to know!

·
Registered
118 Posts

I have these in 3 other cars. Bought them when Costco was clearing them out for $19.97 a set (4 mats, including front and back).

However, I got the custom fit front set for the Ascent rather than the all vehicle mats, as my wife drives the Ascent and she is very hard on vehicles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.