Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 Subaru Ascent with 8500 miles.

Traveling mostly in town and went to merge on interstate. No power, started to stutter and all lights lit up on the dash. Was able to coast to a stop where the vehicle eventually died and would not stay running. Would start up but unable to drive due to stuttering and ability to stay running. Vehicle has currently been towed to a dealership for them to inspect and diagnose problems.

Will follow up with all DTC's and any information from the dealership once i receive their evaluation.

Have seen a couple of posts about loose bolts around turbo and a pipe that came unseeded from turbo.

·
Registered
201 Posts
2019 Subaru Ascent with 8500 miles.

Traveling mostly in town and went to merge on interstate. No power, started to stutter and all lights lit up on the dash. Was able to coast to a stop where the vehicle eventually died and would not stay running. Would start up but unable to drive due to stuttering and ability to stay running. Vehicle has currently been towed to a dealership for them to inspect and diagnose problems.

Will follow up with all DTC's and any information from the dealership once i receive their evaluation.

Have seen a couple of posts about loose bolts around turbo and a pipe that came unseeded from turbo.
Can you give me the approximate production date of your vehicle? ...I had loose/ missing turbo bolts....and it seems likely a problem with production...mine was produced early June 2018.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Maybe a torque converter failure?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So here is the verdict....

After waiting at the dealership, the code on the engine was P0420, Rear O2 Sensor reading unstable. Turns out the front catalytic converter failed internally and went back and destroyed the rear catalytic converter.

Parts alone were roughly $2700, plus the front catalytic converter bolts were seized to the turbo. There was sublet work completed to removed the seized bolts.

I would assume with labor, parts, diagnostic, and the sublet work that this was easily a $3500-$4000 repair. Concerning considering the current mileage on the vehicle.

Thankfully covered under warranty.

Attachments

·
Registered
646 Posts
Wow, looks like a complete one off. Probably will not see this again any time soon. Glad to see your back in business!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.