Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
I think I do have something like that. Even after the engine is at operating temperature, when I press the go pedal, it goes, but it almost seems like it's skipping a beat. It's not smooth like I think it should be, but at the same time, it doesn't seem to be holding the car back any. I never noticed it on the short test drives I did with other Ascents. I need to get it into the shop to have them check it out for sure.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Is it like driving in a too high of gear?

On my morning commute there is a stop, then proceed up a small long hill and down the other side. Quickly the transmission is in 4th gear and down at 1000 rpm. Especially when going do the other side the transmission is in too low of gear so it "lugs". Like when you shift a manual and your in too high of gear. Is this what you are feeling?

·
Registered
25 Posts
We have had our ascent since 21Dec18, not any real long trips yet, 350 miles a couple of times but have just drove down to the coast and yes I could feel a stutter, bump, or surge.. something but is not in the engine, it is 150 miles oneway to the coast and probably felt it 3-4 times driving around 70-75 mph.. I felt it a few weeks ago on one of our trips but attributed it to breaking in as I am seeing the mileage go up. However yesterday evening while driving to go and eat, 45-55 mph felt the bump 4-5 times in a 15 mile period.. I do not know if this is what the folks with the transmission issues are feeling prior to them having their failures, hopefuly SOA will find the answer, really like the vehicle.

·
Registered
253 Posts
We have had our ascent since 21Dec18, not any real long trips yet, 350 miles a couple of times but have just drove down to the coast and yes I could feel a stutter, bump, or surge.. something but is not in the engine, it is 150 miles oneway to the coast and probably felt it 3-4 times driving around 70-75 mph.. I felt it a few weeks ago on one of our trips but attributed it to breaking in as I am seeing the mileage go up. However yesterday evening while driving to go and eat, 45-55 mph felt the bump 4-5 times in a 15 mile period.. I do not know if this is what the folks with the transmission issues are feeling prior to them having their failures, hopefuly SOA will find the answer, really like the vehicle.
It is not just your Ascent; they all do it. It shouldn't happen, but it does. It's a harsh upshift from 6->7 and 7->8. Some people on this forum are more sensitive to it than others. From my experience, I could easily duplicate the issue by switching to manual at highway speeds and upshifting. It will also do something similar when the transmission is cold at low speeds (20-25MPH), though for a different reason I suspect since it's not going to be in "gear" 6 or 7 at that speed. However, I don't think it's related to the issue that Snowgirl and others are having where their CVT belt is slipping.

·
Administrator
13,172 Posts
Also...

It is not just your Ascent; they all do it. It shouldn't happen, but it does. It's a harsh upshift from 6->7 and 7->8. Some people on this forum are more sensitive to it than others. From my experience, I could easily duplicate the issue by switching to manual at highway speeds and upshifting. It will also do something similar when the transmission is cold at low speeds (20-25MPH), though for a different reason I suspect since it's not going to be in "gear" 6 or 7 at that speed. However, I don't think it's related to the issue that Snowgirl and others are having where their CVT belt is slipping.
Also, in the 1,500-2,000 rpm range, when the car changes gears, one can feel the shift. Some have also described that as a "stutter".

It is indeed normal.

·
Administrator
13,172 Posts
Forgive me, I said "CVT belt" and should have said "CVT chain".
I didn't even notice... perhaps I need more coffee, lol! :grin:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Came back home yesterday and did not notice it as much as I am really paying attention to it, still only <2k miles on it so I know it is still working things out, the whining noise which comes from the transmission when first started (cold) is quieting down and as it warms up goes gradually away. We keep the RPMs down when first starting and let everything get warm and lubricated well as we go out of the neighborhood. Thanks for ya'lls chiming in.

·
Administrator
13,172 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.