Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
8,872 Posts
That's because of some of the very big differences between the TR580 (the CVT in the non turbo/non-H6 Subies), and the TR690 in the Ascent and other turbos (and the H6).

The TR580, like most transmissions, uses a planetary gear system before the variator chain and cones.

The TR690 (our CVT) doesn't use gears for directional changes. After the variator cones and chain, we have a forward clutch pack and a reverse clutch pack. The car must hydraulically disengage one, and then hydraulically engage the other. That takes a bit longer than flipping a planetary gear's direction.

So, short version: normal for the TR690.

It's ALSO why it's very important that one keeps their foot on the brakes until the transmission fully engages the requested direction.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
554 Posts
@Robert.Mauro I'm not following. The existence (or lack of) a planetary gear set influences the park/neutral cold idle speed of the engine?

I'm reassured to know that the cold engine idle speed is normal for the Ascent and that dropping it into reverse gear won't hurt the transmission. But Outback's shift to neutral lowers the engine speed and I presume that's all in the ECU programming and not caused by mechanical differences in the CVT, but I may absolutely be mistaken on that.

·
Administrator
8,872 Posts
@Robert.Mauro I'm not following. The existence (or lack of) a planetary gear set influences the park/neutral cold idle speed of the engine?
Ah - I thought you were referencing the slightly longer it took to go into gear.

No, the direct hookup to the variator cone is what "causes" (allows) that. The TR580 disengages the variator cones and chain when in park and neutral, so, engages things differently.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
554 Posts
I was talking about the "neutral drop"...the shift into reverse at 1,800 rpm. It kills me to do that to the transmission...but I'm sure ours behaves like every other Ascent out there. :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
part of the reason the CVT and engine seen very touchy in the cold is also because of the turbo. My WRX had a dash indicator light that would show blue until the turbos were warmed up. They should have included this on the Ascent since it has a turbo

·
Registered
183 Posts
There's a good disassembly video here that shows the internals of a TR690.

Around 10:40 he shows the the subaru's belt compared to a nissan's belt he has laying around.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
501 Posts
I'll ask an unrelated question on cold starts...I'm sure ours is not behaving any differently than anyone elses.

On a cold start, the engine will flash up to about 1,800 rpm and stay there for 20-30 seconds before (slowly) starting to inch downward. This is to help warm the engine up faster, light off the catalytic converters, etc. However, we rarely have the patience to wait for the engine speed to come down appreciably before backing out of the garage, so our CVT normally sees about 1,800 rpm going into reverse. As a "car guy", I hate the thought of that transmission basically having a neutral drop into gear...

I ask because the Outback I had as a loaner last week didn't do this. Well, the cold engine idle would be up at about 1,800 rpm or so, but I could shift it pretty quickly into neutral (from park) and the engine speed would come down to about 1,000 rpm. Then I could shift it into a moving gear from there. This doesn't work in our Ascent. Park or neutral doesn't matter -- the engine's humming away on a cold idle.

I presume this is the same as everyone else's Ascent. Same as yours?
I do the same. Parked in the garage I don't want a racing engine in there too long especially since the HVAC air handler is in the garage. I likewise felt the rpms were too high for a neutral drop but the trans doesn't seem to react adversely. Here in Florida I never sit in idling car, just start and go.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
501 Posts
Are we just going to ignore the fact that he has a 2019 with only 13k miles?
Our 20 is 8 months old and just broke 1000 miles today. The Ascent was purchased to be our long distance travel vehicle and with 2020 lockdown there's no long distance travel. My 11 year old daily driver has 94k on it because I've also had a company vehicle for half the time. The company cars saw 50k+/year and we gone in 2 years. Everyone's travel needs are different.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've had a couple of what feel like drop shifts engaging reverse on cold mornings. The engine tends to run a little bit faster until it warms up. This is further exacerbated by the fact I have to drive up a moderate Hill once I pull out of my driveway, On cold mornings in the Winter it puts me at 3500+ RPM at ~20mph cold ( And more like 3000 RPM In the summer under warmer start up conditions).
But in Florida one has neither cold, nor hills, so it's not in issue unless you live in the Clermont or panhandle areas, which have some hills.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts