Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took seatbelt off before fully stopped then got out. Rear lift gate wouldn’t open. Turned car off and back on. Rear lift gate still wouldn’t open. Turned car off and it finally let me open rear lift gate. When we started it again car play wasn’t functioning, would ‘see’ my phone on BT but wouldn’t do anything.

I’m letting it sit before going back out.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Was your phone also connected using a USB cable? I believe CarPlay only works via USB on the Ascent.

No clue on the rear gate.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes was plugged in via cable.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If the cable was worked for you before, then we know it isn't a cable issue.
Have you tried unplugging and replugging the cable?
I never experienced the tailgate issue but I did experience the CarPlay issue. I tried restarting the car and unplugging the cable. Nothing worked until I blew out the lightning port and wiped the lightning plug with my fingers to clear any debris. This reconnection worked.

May have been a coincidence, but try to make sure the connections are clean. Having in your POCKET can tend to get dust in the ports.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Every couple of months I have to dig out the lightning port on my iPhone to get the lint out with a toothpick :O

Just curious were all the doors unlocked? My wife's Honda rear hatch won't open unless all the locks are unlocked.

Wonder if the fob being in the car has something to do with it?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never experienced the tailgate issue but I did experience the CarPlay issue. I tried restarting the car and unplugging the cable. Nothing worked until I blew out the lightning port and wiped the lightning plug with my fingers to clear any debris. This reconnection worked.

May have been a coincidence, but try to make sure the connections are clean. Having in your POCKET can tend to get dust in the ports.
Doubtful that was the case. What worked was just turning the car off for several minutes then coming back. Case has a rubber plug over the charging port.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Liftgate: are you sure you unlocked the liftgate? Because if the car is locked, it won't open. Any time the liftgate won't open, hit the unlock button and then try again. I had a lot of issues with unlocking my '15 Outback liftgate and unlocking it fixed it some of the time.

Reactions: packout

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Took seatbelt off before fully stopped then got out. Rear lift gate wouldn’t open. Turned car off and back on. Rear lift gate still wouldn’t open. Turned car off and it finally let me open rear lift gate. When we started it again car play wasn’t functioning, would ‘see’ my phone on BT but wouldn’t do anything.

Anyone else?
CarPlay is the same issue as Android Auto. Always unplug the phone before starting the car, wait for the head unit to boot to the Home screen, and then plug in the phone.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Liftgate: are you sure you unlocked the liftgate? Because if the car is locked, it won't open. Any time the liftgate won't open, hit the unlock button and then try again. I had a lot of issues with unlocking my '15 Outback liftgate and unlocking it fixed it some of the time.
It shouldn't matter if it is locked or not as the key fob was in my pocket. But it would not open via pushing the button on the left side of the dash either. Hitting unlock did not work either it simply would not open until I restarted the car.

I don't expect a solution here just was wondering if anyone else had any similar issues.

·
Registered
334 Posts
It shouldn't matter if it is locked or not as the key fob was in my pocket. But it would not open via pushing the button on the left side of the dash either. Hitting unlock did not work either it simply would not open until I restarted the car.

I don't expect a solution here just was wondering if anyone else had any similar issues.

That's exactly what I meant - the inside button would not open my gate after I stopped the car and got out. Key fob or no key fob. I can't say yours was this at all, just wanted to put it out there that - at least my Outback - wouldn't always automatically unlock the car and that affected opening the rear lift gate. As I had a dog who went in and out of my car that way every time I drove, it was an issue I experienced frequently even after everything related to the lift gate was replaced. I think the door locks were actually inconsistent on mine causing my issues.

Hopefully, you will not experience your issue again and it truly was just some type of glitch.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
That's exactly what I meant - the inside button would not open my gate after I stopped the car and got out. Key fob or no key fob. I can't say yours was this at all, just wanted to put it out there that - at least my Outback - wouldn't always automatically unlock the car and that affected opening the rear lift gate. As I had a dog who went in and out of my car that way every time I drove, it was an issue I experienced frequently even after everything related to the lift gate was replaced. I think the door locks were actually inconsistent on mine causing my issues.

Hopefully, you will not experience your issue again and it truly was just some type of glitch.
I was just going to respond that I did have that happen once with the rear gate, but only with the gate. And only once. Odd.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It was only the rear gate, the doors have not had any issues and have always unlocked when I put it in park.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It was only the rear gate, the doors have not had any issues and have always unlocked when I put it in park.
Has this happened to you again? The exact same thing happened to me today. The gate wouldn’t open with engine on, in park. Not the button on the gate, or the button on drivers console. Turned off engine, and it didn’t help. Worked when I used the button on the fob to open the gate. Then, upon restarting car and driving away, car play would not work. No matter how many times I unplugged iPhone then replugged in. One poster’s suggestion of not starting car with phone already plugged in is likely the solution there. Not so sure about the gate. I should be able to leave it in park with engine running and open the gate via gate button or driver’s console button...

·
Registered
561 Posts
I've had to hit the unlock button on the door to get mine to open most of the time. At 1st I thought it was broken:)

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Has this happened to you again? The exact same thing happened to me today. The gate wouldn’t open with engine on, in park. Not the button on the gate, or the button on drivers console. Turned off engine, and it didn’t help. Worked when I used the button on the fob to open the gate. Then, upon restarting car and driving away, car play would not work. No matter how many times I unplugged iPhone then replugged in. One poster’s suggestion of not starting car with phone already plugged in is likely the solution there. Not so sure about the gate. I should be able to leave it in park with engine running and open the gate via gate button or driver’s console button...
It has not happened again. *crosses fingers*

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Here's what I've found...

I've had to hit the unlock button on the door to get mine to open most of the time. At 1st I thought it was broken:)
I found that the rear liftgate won't open using the dash button unless the car is unlocked. Maybe that will help.
Yep, I think you two figured it out. I've been able to replicate that. So, here's what my testing has shown (anyone who's found other scenarios, please post them):

• If I've unlocked the car by touching the handle (mine is set to unlock all doors), the gate works fine.
  • If the car has been off and locked for a while, and I walk up to it and press the rear button with the FOB on me, it opens.
  • If the car has been off and locked for a while, and I long press the FOB button, it opens.
  • If the car has been driven, and auto lock occurs, I can't get out and open it unless I unlock all of the doors first.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Back to Car Play

So I’ve had this happen twice on our past 6 hr road trip. Car play would just not work. Could plug husband Android in and it worked fine, unhook it and try my iPhone and nothing! Once we stopped car and restarted engine them my Apple car play worked again. Didn’t pay attention as to if it was already connected before we started car as I tend to grab my phone and take it with me if we get out of car. Curious to see if this happens to others and what the common occurrence and solution is!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Anyone else?
I have had this problem a bunch of times. I carry a wrench with me to disconnect battery! It has been in for service 3-4 times. Subaru has been great about loaners etc. but even after two parts were replaced it is still happening. The most frustrating is they say I am the only one they know of having this problem. Yet-it even happened with a loaner I had! I had them come get that one while it was buzzing and drive it back listening to that like I have had to

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.