Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Strange buzzing noise behind spare tire

5K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  peteditmars 
#1 ·
Hello,

I heard a buzzing noise somewhere behind the spare tire several hours after I parked it. I restarted the car, reversed and pulled back in the garage, parked and shut power off. It then went away. I thought it might have been the parking brake so I activated it but the buzzing noise didn’t recur. Anyone ever hear this? I filmed the noise but I can’t find a way to attach it to the thread.

#2 ·
Normal. It's a vehicle system...I forget the name...that does a little maintenance thing. Several threads about this, if memory serves.

Reactions: ATXV18&Ascent19
#3 ·
Totally normal, and, in the first section of your manual...

You may hear a noise from under the vehicle approximately 5 to 10 hours
after the ignition switch is turned to the “LOCK”/“OFF” position. However, this
does not indicate a malfunction. This noise is caused by the operation of the
fuel evaporation leakage checking system and the operation is normal. The
noise will stop after approximately 15 minutes.

Super scary if you're under the car working on it when it happens. ;)

#6 ·
I heard the noise tonight when removing the access panel for the trailer hitch. I looked and looked for the source. Then I wiggled the spare tire winch cable that is hanging down under the spare and the noise stopped at that exact instant. I was convinced the noise was related to the spare tire, that perhaps the winch was motorized and was malfunctioning. Oy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.