Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As Hurricane Michael went up the east coast, we received a red banner "tropical storm warning" message (we're in North Carolina). The storm has past but the message still displays every 5 minutes and is a real nuisance. I guess the message came from SiriusXM, or maybe the GPS system.

I saw an earlier thread about storm warnings which persisted, but that thread didn't have an answer.

I tried a reset to factory settings, which did nothing but erase my settings.

Has anyone a fix for this, or do I need the go back to the dealer for a software reinstall?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
2 Posts
We picked up our new Ascent on Wednesday 10/10 in Asheville, NC and Tropical Storm warnings started the next day. It’s now 4 days later and they have not stopped, even though Michael is long gone. Alert pops up every 5 minutes, whether radio is on SXM or FM/AM. Interestingly, fields for start and end dates/times are blank, which makes me think this is never going away on its own! ? Needless to say, that’s unacceptable. We have full SXM service (not just the trial) and they say this is not their issue. Subaru dealer says it’s the government’s fault (seriously!) and not theirs. Unbelievable.

·
Registered
566 Posts
We picked up our new Ascent on Wednesday 10/10 in Asheville, NC and Tropical Storm warnings started the next day. It’s now 4 days later and they have not stopped, even though Michael is long gone. Alert pops up every 5 minutes, whether radio is on SXM or FM/AM. Interestingly, fields for start and end dates/times are blank, which makes me think this is never going away on its own! ? Needless to say, that’s unacceptable. We have full SXM service (not just the trial) and they say this is not their issue. Subaru dealer says it’s the government’s fault (seriously!) and not theirs. Unbelievable.

I sent them an e-mail about this yesterday, will post the reply when I get it. If you Google the subject, you will find one post for the 2018 Nissan and how to disable it on that vehicle. Unfortunately I could get those instructions to work on the Ascent. Here is that link:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same problem with previous hurricane. Solved it by setting weather location to a place anywhere in the county that does not have hurricanes, like Grand Rapids Michigan. It went away and later in the day I reset the weather to my local area. Worked for me. Try it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thankfully, annoying Storm Warning went away on its own after 5 days!?! I hope Subaru figures out a way to either disable this “feature” or dismiss the warning ONCE and have it not reappear every 5 minutes. If it happens again, I’ll try changing weather location, as another poster suggested.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thankfully, annoying Storm Warning went away on its own after 5 days!?! I hope Subaru figures out a way to either disable this “feature” or dismiss the warning ONCE and have it not reappear every 5 minutes. If it happens again, I’ll try changing weather location, as another poster suggested.
Having the same problem. Tornado warning every 5 minutes. Can't stop it (unless I change location, which is dumb), very annoying.

·
Registered
3 Posts
About a year and a half later, these stupid things are still popping up. Anyone figured anything out about why these are so frequent? We get them here and there and they come every 5 minutes like has been mentioned in prior posts. I don't get why it needs to be popping up my entire trip.
Does anyone know the best way to communicate feedback to Subaru?

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
620 Posts
My initial guess as to why they are frequent is due to the lack of start time. If they had a start/end date and time and you dismissed, it would have a way to track it. Instead, its just an end date and time which doesn't give you anything to key off of for the unique warning when it does the 5min check.

But thats only a guess.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,837 Posts
I believe you can turn them off with the current firmware...the notices are provided through the SXM travel link. I think I killed them now on mine, if I'm not mistaken, but I'm totally positive.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
I believe you can turn them off with the current firmware...the notices are provided through the SXM travel link. I think I killed them now on mine, if I'm not mistaken, but I'm totally positive.
Yes, they are turnoffable now ?

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
I haven't sat in the same area to check - I'm usually driving when I get them, in a rush to get to a new destination, but I am curious if it's set per area, and, as we move from area to area, we get a new notification. The frequency I see them seems to be variable, as is the speeds I travel when I've seen them, which prompted that idea.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
620 Posts
It's every 5 minutes, if not faster. I was on the highway driving through an impacted area when it came up. The problem is it displays over the navigation, so you are FORCED to disable the alerts otherwise you can't reference the navigation. After the 4th or 5th time it drives you mad, and you never leave the area even when going 70mph down the hwy.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
It's every 5 minutes, if not faster. I was on the highway driving through an impacted area when it came up. The problem is it displays over the navigation, so you are FORCED to disable the alerts otherwise you can't reference the navigation. After the 4th or 5th time it drives you mad, and you never leave the area even when going 70mph down the hwy.
Cell towers are very close together, and switching them may signal an alert.

Regarding, in our stop and barrel go traffic, I've seemed to experience it taking longer than on trips between nowhere at 70. But that could simply be the difference in driving conditions making it seem like different times.

Regardless, emailing Subaru may get them to buy Harman Kardon to do another change.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts