Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, we expect our Ascent third row to be folded down nearly all the time.

We are coming from the Odyssey - our 2nd row middle seat was nearly always folded down. This provided two water bottle holders and a square tray to perfectly fit a pop-up box of tissues.

Additionally, the Odyssey had a trash 'can' - more like a basketball rim for a grocery bag - instead of the center pair of cupholders. But I know better to start a religious debate in the Church of the Nineteen Cupholders.

In the Ascent it seems like dead space - but with the right cargo holder we could greatly exceed the utility of the Honda - tissues, trash, and a whole lot more.

Do you have a product/solution to use the space between the 2nd row captain's chairs? Tell us about it - photos would be great!

For what it's worth, I have two of these: organizers coming later this week for the trunk - depending on how it looks/fits that might be my solution (and I'll post pictures!)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Additionally, the Odyssey had a trash 'can' - more like a basketball rim for a grocery bag - instead of the center pair of cupholders. But I know better to start a religious debate in the Church of the Nineteen Cupholders.

Oh no you didn't! :smile_big::smile_big:

In the Ascent it seems like dead space - but with the right cargo holder we could greatly exceed the utility of the Honda - tissues, trash, and a whole lot more.

I saw it as dead-space, too......

....until I saw my two nephews (one just now a teenager, the other a pre-teen) jostle for position in the various seats by hopping and skipping through that empty space.

I guess there really is a pretty good reason why Subaru put those two grab-handles where they did, on the Captain's Chairs. :tango_face_surprise

Do you have a product/solution to use the space between the 2nd row captain's chairs? Tell us about it - photos would be great!

For what it's worth, I have two of these: organizers coming later this week for the trunk - depending on how it looks/fits that might be my solution (and I'll post pictures!)

A lot of trash-storage ideas here, on the Subaru Ascent FB Group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SubaruAscent/permalink/2431296923806478/?comment_tracking={"tn":"O"}

^ I honestly don't keep a trash receptacle in-vehicle. For road-trips, we'll just roll with a trash-bag for trash......

Otherwise, I'm pretty OCD about removing trash.

Don't get me wrong, the foot-well area in my car is almost always dirty with summertime mud or winter road/sidewalk treatment. It's just that I don't like trash cluttering things up. :tango_face_wink:

And here's a thread on what folks have done for that pass-through area:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SubaruAscent/permalink/2437598619842975/?comment_tracking={"tn":"O"}

My reply there was:

I live mostly in 4-passenger mode, with an in-vehicle snack-bag ( kinda like this one - https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/.../diono.../1040144924 ) occupying the space between the second-row captain's chairs. The long footwell area between the second and third rows holds my winter accessories: a large umbrella, a long telescoping snow brush/ice-scraper, and an (actual) shovel.

The hole between the second and third rows is closed off with a large dry-box ( like this one: https://www.ganderoutdoors.com/product/details... ) that contains some cleaning supplies for my dog (he gets car-sick) as well as some vital fluids for the vehicle and roadside tools, what I consider quick-access and not essential (the essential emergency supplies, including duplicates of the vital fluids and more "intensive" tools, are all carried in the storage cubby underneath). I have this anchored on either side with shorter bungee cords. I lose a grocery bag's worth of vertical footprint from this box, but it essentially closes "the trunk" from visual inspection when I sandwich my emergency blanket between it and the factory cargo cover.

BTW, I'm really allergic to interior rattles, and this setup is secure enough to not trigger my neurosis. :grin:

When we need to go 7-passenger or if I needed a long pass-through, I simply move/remove the dry-box (and the winter accessories at the foot of the third row, if-necessary) - all of 10 to 30 seconds' worth of work.

You can also utilize the floor-space between the 2nd and 3rd rows for more storage - and use dry-boxes or other organizers there - but be sure to check clearance between the two rows before you purchase any boxes. It's best to go to a brick-and-mortar so you can get the box and run it out to the vehicle really quickly, to see if you have enough clearance between how you set your second/third row spacing (with the 7-passenger model, the seat track will not lock unless it's a certain minimum distance from the rear, I don't know about bench) as well as the second-row recline.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.