Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else experiencing the paint easily chipping? I have had more chips on my hood and above my windshield in the 10 months I have driven my Ascent compared to all the years I owned my Acadia. I even had a ceramic coating applied to the entire car the day after I purchased it.

Am I just having bad luck or is there a problem with the paint job? Any suggestions on what to do to solve this problem?

Thanks for any suggestions

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Is anyone else experiencing the paint easily chipping? I have had more chips on my hood and above my windshield in the 10 months I have driven my Ascent compared to all the years I owned my Acadia. I even had a ceramic coating applied to the entire car the day after I purchased it.

Am I just having bad luck or is there a problem with the paint job? Any suggestions on what to do to solve this problem?

Thanks for any suggestions
It's not the paint job, no paint is impervious to stone chips.

It depends a lot on how and where you drive. If you follow another car closely (not necessarily tailgate) you'll get stone chips. If you live in an area with more road debris, you'll get stone chips.

There's no way a ceramic coating can ever prevent stone chips, but paint protection film can. I applied PPF to the front of my hood myself and have zero chips, it works. You should use it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I've found Toyota and Subaru to be weakest and thinnest paint/clear coat.
German cars seem to be the best at preventing stone chips as there clear coat is softer as they don;t have to adhere the V.O.C regulations. Clear coat used in the US are a lot of harder, but also better at prevent etching and swirls.
Not all paint is the same and Subaru is probably one of weakest paints out there as far as preventing stone chips

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes it is soft and easily chipped. I had a talk with a dent-less repair guy said that the body panels because they are designed to crumple in a collision are also very week. Day 6 of owner ship I got a parking lot door hit that left 5 nicks, a crease and two ripples in the driver side rear door. Now is a good time to have handy the contact information for a dent-less repair expert. Mine did a fab job on our Crimson Red Pearl. Also I have a 2007 Touareg and that paint is hard as a rock and there are virtually no chips on the hood with 125K miles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.