Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting to swap wheels to the base model 18” wheels but was wondering if the 18” wheels had the same load rating as my 20” touring wheels. Anyone know where to find the load ratings?

I’m guessing the transmission cooler has a lot to do with the touring being able to tow more but do the wheels also come into play here?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Doubt it, as only the base has the lower tow rating. Premium (comes with 18"), Limited, and Touring all have the same towing rating.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
11,959 Posts
Stock tires or rims are irrelevant to towing/load carrying capacity

The wheels are irrelevant on all trim levels for any purpose. The 20" TIRES have the lower load rating at 1,874 pounds. The 18" tires have a higher load rating, at 2,039 pounds.

The MINIMUM load rating of any tire or rim should be 1,800 pounds for a safety factor. The rear axle gross weight (GAWR-R) is the key here, at 3,296 pounds, regardless of trim level. That's a minimum of 1,649 pounds per wheel/tire with ZERO safety margin, hence my suggestion of 1,800 pounds minimum rating on wheel or tire.

On a wheel (rim), the load ratings are in pounds. On a tire, they are numbered. The Ascent is "102" rated tires for 20" (1,874 pounds) and "105" rated for 18" tires (2,039 pounds).

ANYWAYS...
The short version is, the rims and tires on the Ascent have nothing to do with the tow ratings. It's all the CVT and cooler.

The BASE Ascent has a tow rating of 2,000 pounds, and has no transmission cooler, and a different CVT assembly part number. It also has a different rear differential.

All named trims (Premium, Limited, Touring) have the transmission cooler and are capable of towing 5,000 pounds.

The Base and Premium Ascent have 18" wheels, with the option to get 20" wheels on the Premium.

The Limited and Touring come with 20" wheels and have no option to get anything else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.