Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought new tires from Discount last week and on the way home from work today I heard a loud bang and found my right rear rim looking like this. Not sure what happened. Any ideas? Anyone in the Houston area have a stock 20” rim for sale.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
Head to your local Subaru dealership. I cannot imagine that's supposed to happen.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Agree with Robert, head over to your Subaru dealership. But if they can't/won't do anything you may have recourse from discount tire if they mounted them. But, I think a failure like this would have to fall under a statistical anomaly and would be covered by the factory warranty.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took the tire and rim to the dealer today and they said that I must have ran over something that basically punched the tire into the rim and caused the damage. The tire did have corresponding scuff marks. I am an engineer with some metal forensics experience and there were not any signs of any inclusions in the material or signs of cracks that have been developing with time. The fracture looked like a brittle fracture that happened suddenly. So I assume that the dealer is right, at least I have no credible argument to the contrary - as much as I would liked to have had one.:unsure:

The dealer was at least kind enough to deeply discount the new rim for me thanks to a very nice service manager. :)

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
I took the tire and rim to the dealer today and they said that I must have ran over something that basically punched the tire into the rim and caused the damage. The tire did have corresponding scuff marks. I am an engineer with some metal forensics experience and there were not any signs of any inclusions in the material or signs of cracks that have been developing with time. The fracture looked like a brittle fracture that happened suddenly. So I assume that the dealer is right, at least I have no credible argument to the contrary - as much as I would liked to have had one.:unsure:

The dealer was at least kind enough to deeply discount the new rim for me thanks to a very nice service manager. :)
Wow, remind me to not drive through your neighborhood!!! :ROFLMAO: On a serious note, I cracked a rim on a pot hole in my neighborhood once. I've dimpled two sidewalls so bad that I've replaced the tires as well. :(

Glad the dealer helped out.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The tire looks OK except for some scuff marks. I had just bought the tires for the car from Discount Tire so I had them take look at it and they said since it was such a big impact that the tire would be questionable at best. They are replacing it under the prorated warranty which means for practically nothing. So thanks to Discount Tire for stepping up and helping me out.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The tire looks OK except for some scuff marks. I had just bought the tires for the car from Discount Tire so I had them take look at it and they said since it was such a big impact that the tire would be questionable at best. They are replacing it under the prorated warranty which means for practically nothing. So thanks to Discount Tire for stepping up and helping me out.
Any idea what you might have run over? Something large enough to do that to the rear wheel without affecting the front. And that you didn't notice at the time beyond the noise.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any idea what you might have run over? Something large enough to do that to the rear wheel without affecting the front. And that you didn't notice at the time beyond the noise.
Guessing from the area with lots of road construction and looking at the tire I suspect a broken up chunk of concrete probably fell out of a truck hauling off road construction debris. As far as missing with the front tire while going straight that would mean that the debris had to been moving sideways like it was grazed by a car in the lane next to me. Which means I just had plane old bad timing and a rare freak expensive occurrence. Again all speculation combined with a vivid imagination but plausible.

Went to my local Discount Tire for the new tire and it was defective. It had a kink or bad bend in the bead. They should have another new one in tomorrow.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Are you sure discount tire did not damage the rim? Like it got dropped without the tire on? There is clearly a fatigue line. It looks like the impact came from the inside of the rim, with a sharp impact. Creating the dent/line and then forced aluminum to fracture. I think they dropped it. Then you kit a pothole or something and that finished the job.

My 2cents.

Because discount tire has damaged both my wheels and my painted 4 piston calipers.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Guessing from the area with lots of road construction and looking at the tire I suspect a broken up chunk of concrete probably fell out of a truck hauling off road construction debris. As far as missing with the front tire while going straight that would mean that the debris had to been moving sideways like it was grazed by a car in the lane next to me. Which means I just had plane old bad timing and a rare freak expensive occurrence. Again all speculation combined with a vivid imagination but plausible.

Went to my local Discount Tire for the new tire and it was defective. It had a kink or bad bend in the bead. They should have another new one in tomorrow.
There is no way there could be the kind of damage to the rim without flatting the tire.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you sure discount tire did not damage the rim? Like it got dropped without the tire on? There is clearly a fatigue line. It looks like the impact came from the inside of the rim, with a sharp impact. Creating the dent/line and then forced aluminum to fracture. I think they dropped it. Then you kit a pothole or something and that finished the job.

My 2cents.

Because discount tire has damaged both my wheels and my painted 4 piston calipers.
Sorry to hear you had bad experiences with discount. I do believe that the impact from the rim’s point of view was from the inside. The tire had corresponding scuff marks and what looked like faint concrete residue at the point of impact.

I can’t be 100% sure but there is not any evidence that they damaged it. I also went about 2,500 miles on the tire before the incident and don’t think I would have made it that far with a weakened rim and certainly without noticing a weird balance problem. If they had dropped or damaged the tire causing it to crack and be weakened then the cracked surfaces should have shown signs of there being a crack that existed before the tire and rim blew. If you have a crack that is subjected to vibration or fatigue cycling then the cracked surfaces will be polished / shined from the continual cycling. What you would see looking at the cracked surfaces at failure you would see part of the crack as a shiny area and the rest of the crack would look fresh. The shiny area would be the existing crack that lead to the complete failure. In the case of my rim the entire crack looked “fresh” with no evidence of an existing crack that happened 2,500 miles previously such as from carelessness from Discount Tire that weakened it.

Unfortunately it cost me more than my 2 cents worth but I won’t let it steal my joy.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There is no way there could be the kind of damage to the rim without flatting the tire.
It flattened instantly and with a big bang! I did get to find out that the Sherriff’s Motor Assistence Program in Harris County Texas is really helpful. I had the blowout on a busy beltway and they sent a wrecker in less than 15 minutes and towed me off the shoulder to a safe area and changed my tire for me. All for free.

I must say it did feel strange having someone change my tire for me. I’m usually the person changing someone else’s tire when they are not able to do it themselves.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts