Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had my Ascent Touring now for 6 months. I put 5 k miles on it including a full load road trip from Philly to Disney world. It handled a full load on the highway very well. We also had a bubble ( that’s what we call it!) on the roof that was loaded and 4 adults and one child in the cabin, a fairly larger adult was always in the 3 rd row without complaining about space, so there’s a big plus! I’m used to driving a BMW X5 for last 8 years. I decided on the Ascent touring for its comparable features at a much lower price. It’s been an adjustment driving wise, the Ascent touring rides nicely, as far as cornering and and overall drive , it’s not what I’m used to. I have a “ crunch” sound which is the best way to describe it, when braking suddenly, I’m going to have it checked when I take it for the oil change. Now today my radio did that static sound which is why I came on this forum to begin with, it did clear up after the car sat an hour and I turned it on again. I’m also baffled why the Pano roof doesn’t open much farther, my X5 Pano opens all but 4 inches on the second position and it’s a much shorter vehicle so why can’t this car do the same. Also the Ascent can’t flip up and have cover closed, the X5 you can flip up the sunroof part , it cracks a part of the roof cover open for the air flow without retracting any of the cover. Also the passengers seat has less positions than the drivers, why? I’ve seen cars costing less than the 46k I paid for the Ascent that have some features this car doesn’t. Power folding mirrors for one. The passenger seat has the same features as the drivers for another. In all I like the Ascent but won’t be keeping it the length of the lease, I will probably go back to BMW. I still have my X5 and drive it as well. Maybe by the next generation Ascent they will improve on some of the things people mention. Also the auto braking can be way too touchy, I could be no where near needing to stop and it has stopped me, maybe that’s part of the “crunching “ sound problem! I do love being able to use Reg gas! BMW’s require premium.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Sounds like you need the new X7! What a beast. (an expensive beast)

It's all about pricepoints and compromises. It's actually amazing what a mainstream brand can provide as standard equipment. Some of these things are optional and drive the cost up by the thousands on the luxury brands. Power folding mirrors would be super handy for me and my small-ish garage. It took Madza up until the 4th year of production to add them to their 2019 CX-9. The Ascent will probably get some nice additional features around 2022 for the mid-cycle refresh.

·
Registered
160 Posts
This segment of Auto is getting very tight. I am quite surprised and have to admit, fairly impressed by the recent releases of the Kia Telluride and its "cousin" the Hyundai Palisade. They are offering heated AND cooled 2nd row, a very neat blind spot monitor, a lot of nice standard equipment in what sounds to be the same pricing range as the Ascent. The new Explorer has some great stuff as well, but I believe will be a slightly higher price point

There are a bunch of great choices in the segment. It really comes down to things such as what people find to be of value/importance to them and their family. It seems each company has something in the segment just different than the others that they can brag about.

I agree with @rockthebeef, the X7 is a dream machine. I just cannot currently justify the cost of that or the Lincoln Aviator (probably my absolute favorite in this segment).

Truth be told, for a new vehicle, Subaru seems to have a few software related glitches, but have not really seemed to have any of the mechanical 1st release issues that many other manufactures seem to have. I also agree that we will probably see some great, albeit little/subtle, changes during the mid-cycle refresh. Subaru does a fantastic job of listening to their clients. I would not be surprised at all of there are some Subaru marketing and engineering staff that follow this and the other Subaru forums. Heck, some changes as simple as the folding side mirrors may even appear before the refresh.

It would be interesting to hear what the Crunching sound is, as that doesn't seem to be a widespread complaint on the forum. Hopefully your challenges can easily be resolved by Subaru and keep you happy through you lease and beyond.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We will find out about the crunching sound today, I took it in for its first oil change and we told them about the crunching sound and also about the radio. And much to my surprise and it made me a little pissed, they told us it would be a $25 charge to diagnose the radio which may become a part of a “recall”(which these days mean a computer update) anyway. Now let me get this straight, the car is 6 months old and comes with a 36 month bumper to bumper warranty. I’m no expert, but I think the radio is within the front and rear bumpers. I don’t see it dragging behind me! So Subaru is going to charge me to diagnose their faulty radio set up ( the x5 has a Hardon Karmin in it and we’ve never had a problem with it) when it’s covered under a warranty. I told him don’t check it than and I may be writing Subaru. We’ll see if they check it anyway. I’m not happy with Subaru at this point. I hate to compare, but I’ve only been driving BMWs for a long time, but even when ours was covered in the CPO extended warranty, they never charged us a cent. And they practically replaced the whole front end of the X5 to locate and get rid of a strange noise, probably was easily 2k worth of work. Also I’m supposed to get free oil changes for 2 years and the dealer wrote up a charge for it , so I mentioned it and the answer was “I will see if you have any free oil changes coming to you”. WTH does that mean? It’s the first oil change!!! Ugh, will see what happens when it comes time to pick up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If I can add my two cents' worth...and I'm not trolling, I swear.

If after six months you're still comparing everything to your BMW...and still driving your BMW...that reads to me like you bought a Subaru when you really wanted another BMW. You can't fault Subaru for not being a BMW and not doing everything the way BMW does it. There's nothing wrong with not doing things the BMW way...it's just different. But if what you really wanted is a car that does everything your BMW does...the way your BMW does them...for thousands less...I think that's called "a used BMW."

I see you bought it for "comparable features at a much lower price." But, features or not, a Subaru and a BMW really aren't comparable makes. It's like comparing Burger King to Five Guys...sure they're both burgers with lettuce and tomato...but the cheaper Whopper really isn't comparable. I mean, I like a Whopper...but if I'm comparing it to the last Five Guys I had, I'm going to be disappointed.

In the end, it's a shame you got a $46k car that you don't like, but I guess, kudos to you for straying from your comfort zone and trying something different after 8 years of the same thing. At least now you know more about what you do and don't like, and you can use that information when choosing your next car.

·
Registered
235 Posts
We will find out about the crunching sound today, I took it in for its first oil change and we told them about the crunching sound and also about the radio. And much to my surprise and it made me a little pissed, they told us it would be a $25 charge to diagnose the radio which may become a part of a “recall”(which these days mean a computer update) anyway. Now let me get this straight, the car is 6 months old and comes with a 36 month bumper to bumper warranty. I’m no expert, but I think the radio is within the front and rear bumpers. I don’t see it dragging behind me! So Subaru is going to charge me to diagnose their faulty radio set up ( the x5 has a Hardon Karmin in it and we’ve never had a problem with it) when it’s covered under a warranty. I told him don’t check it than and I may be writing Subaru. We’ll see if they check it anyway. I’m not happy with Subaru at this point. I hate to compare, but I’ve only been driving BMWs for a long time, but even when ours was covered in the CPO extended warranty, they never charged us a cent. And they practically replaced the whole front end of the X5 to locate and get rid of a strange noise, probably was easily 2k worth of work. Also I’m supposed to get free oil changes for 2 years and the dealer wrote up a charge for it , so I mentioned it and the answer was “I will see if you have any free oil changes coming to you”. WTH does that mean? It’s the first oil change!!! Ugh, will see what happens when it comes time to pick up.

If you're not talking with the Service Manager or General Manager, I'd recommend you take your Ascent to another dealer if there's one reasonably close to you. You are within the bumper to bumper warranty period, there shouldn't be any out of pocket costs at this time. Not sure why they would decide to charge you for the oil change if that was part of the initial sale. Good luck and I hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
It's not Subaru.

This is not a Subaru thing - it's your dealership.

FIND A DIFFERENT DEALERSHIP.

I've never ever been charged for diagnosing anything under warranty on my car. And, even with my Outback that had a gazillion miles on it (gave it away at 221,990 miles), I was only charged ONCE for diagnostics that required a ridiculous amount of labor to remove drive trail parts, and I was only charged a fraction of the total hours - and that was at the 180,000 mile mark.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I also don't know why you would have to pay for anything under warranty? As mentioned above, I would speak to one of the management at the dealership or the Subaru consumer line. If your car has an issue, then it needs to be attended to. As for what was said to you regarding the oil changes. 1) They should know about whether their own dealer or Subaru has agreed to the 2 maintenance scheme which is quite common. And 2) in customer service, how something is said or communicated is as important as what is being said or communicated. Many brands do the appropriate training these days and do a pretty good job of this. But not all dealers are equal, unfortunately. Sounds like this person isn't appropriately trained or maybe the dealership itself is lacking. Another dealership, if there is one in the area, may give you the care and treatment that you deserve. Sorry for your troubles. I hope you will get everything straightened out without too much more aggravation. BTW, I don't know what area you are from, but if you care to mention it, maybe someone here can recommend a dealership or person at a dealership in your area that they know will take better care of you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so..... they never brought up a charge for anything when we picked it up, I don’t know what was up with that guy when we took it in, he was the guy when we picked it up also and he was nicer and talking with a different tone! As for that radio noise if any of you have experienced it, it is a recall that apparently you have to wait till they get around to notifying you about it before they can do it. And the crunching noise... I got the dealer standard go to “ problem wouldn’t duplicate for mechanic “... now mind you my husband is an ASE certified master mechanic and we understand that a lot of times you don’t get the car to do whatever the problem is, but it was doing it all day after I picked it up. Maybe it’s a usual noise on this car??? I mean my 80 year old aunt and uncle heard it when they were in the car and said “ what was that?”! My smart a** brother remarked that it’s probably all the plastic on the car.... which there is a lot of plastic on these cars. The first time I washed and waxed it, I was shocked at all the plastic in the front. But I seriously doubt ( and sure hope) that isn’t the cause of this noise. As for the dealership, they are known for bad service and if nothing gets resolved at the next 6 month service, I won’t be going back again.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Ok so..... they never brought up a charge for anything when we picked it up, I don’t know what was up with that guy when we took it in, he was the guy when we picked it up also and he was nicer and talking with a different tone! As for that radio noise if any of you have experienced it, it is a recall that apparently you have to wait till they get around to notifying you about it before they can do it. And the crunching noise... I got the dealer standard go to “ problem wouldn’t duplicate for mechanic “... now mind you my husband is an ASE certified master mechanic and we understand that a lot of times you don’t get the car to do whatever the problem is, but it was doing it all day after I picked it up. Maybe it’s a usual noise on this car??? I mean my 80 year old aunt and uncle heard it when they were in the car and said “ what was that?”! My smart a** brother remarked that it’s probably all the plastic on the car.... which there is a lot of plastic on these cars. The first time I washed and waxed it, I was shocked at all the plastic in the front. But I seriously doubt ( and sure hope) that isn’t the cause of this noise. As for the dealership, they are known for bad service and if nothing gets resolved at the next 6 month service, I won’t be going back again.
If you can safely record the issue, that would be great. This is one I haven't heard of before, and I would love to be aware of what it's doing and what it sounds like.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree with you noodlenoggi n.... I was trying to spend less and am realizing I really love my X5, I’ve been driving it more and more, lol. I do like the Ascent but I don’t love it. I loved all our BMW’s and thought I might be ready for a “ new” car being we buy BMW’ s when they are 2 years gently used CPO’s just because it’s the smarter way to buy them. I think I would love the Ascent if I were accustomed to say Chevy’s or Hyundai or something. Also this is the first generation Ascent, so that may be an issue also, we all know cars improve about 3 years in to a generation, my bad for thinking I could change I guess!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I agree with you noodlenoggi n.... I was trying to spend less and am realizing I really love my X5, I’ve been driving it more and more, lol. I do like the Ascent but I don’t love it. I loved all our BMW’s and thought I might be ready for a “ new” car being we buy BMW’ s when they are 2 years gently used CPO’s just because it’s the smarter way to buy them. I think I would love the Ascent if I were accustomed to say Chevy’s or Hyundai or something. Also this is the first generation Ascent, so that may be an issue also, we all know cars improve about 3 years in to a generation, my bad for thinking I could change I guess!!
I hear what you're saying. I like my wife's Ascent, but I don't love it. I do, however, respect Subaru's engineering and build quality. 20 years ago I actually worked (in the computer room) at the Indiana factory where they build the Ascent, and I firmly believe they build some high-quality vehicles there. I would put Subaru build quality on par with BMW or Mercedes, in that I think a Subaru will last as long as one of those premium makes, with fewer problems. When I was there, they lived and breathed kaizen -- the quest to constantly improve. The factory takes a break to re-tool in the middle of the model year, around Christmas, then a break in summer to change model years. I'm confident that early-run teething problems get addressed in short order compared to larger companies.

But, I still drive my 15-year-old Mercury grandpa car. By choice. Don't judge, but I love that car. I rent cars almost weekly for work, and in the past 3 years, there have been maybe two that I'd actually consider trading my car in on. In general, most new cars just don't do all of the things that I want them to do as well as my old couch on wheels.

And that's the takeaway, I guess. When you know what you want your car to do, and you found the car that does it, there's no shame in sticking with that.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I feel the same

We do like the car, but we are not in love with it for a variety of reasons, and we both agreed we would have purchased a different make, or even a 1 year old CPO GLS450 or Land Rover for a bit more if we were to do it over again. We went for the value proposition with the touring model, and it's a nice car, but after three months we have a little buyers remorse.

I've had a lot of 'this is a Subaru?,' and 'huge on the inside but doesn't look like it from the outside,' type of comments from friends who have been in it, and they are right about that. But the overall experience isn't what we had hoped for (overall MPG is less than our twin turbo V8 GL450!?!, more rattles at 2600 miles than the GL had at 74K, head unit issues, and while it's not a bad driving experience, it's not very engaging), even adjusting for the price point difference going in to the purchase. I don't know that we would have felt any different with any SUV in this segment. None of this makes the Ascent a bad car, but maybe it wasn't the right one for us. Maybe as we put more miles on it we appreciate it more.:dunno:

·
Registered
156 Posts
To Each His (Her) Own

I hear what you're saying. I like my wife's Ascent, but I don't love it. I do, however, respect Subaru's engineering and build quality. 20 years ago I actually worked (in the computer room) at the Indiana factory where they build the Ascent, and I firmly believe they build some high-quality vehicles there. I would put Subaru build quality on par with BMW or Mercedes, in that I think a Subaru will last as long as one of those premium makes, with fewer problems. When I was there, they lived and breathed kaizen -- the quest to constantly improve. The factory takes a break to re-tool in the middle of the model year, around Christmas, then a break in summer to change model years. I'm confident that early-run teething problems get addressed in short order compared to larger companies.

But, I still drive my 15-year-old Mercury grandpa car. By choice. Don't judge, but I love that car. I rent cars almost weekly for work, and in the past 3 years, there have been maybe two that I'd actually consider trading my car in on. In general, most new cars just don't do all of the things that I want them to do as well as my old couch on wheels.

And that's the takeaway, I guess. When you know what you want your car to do, and you found the car that does it, there's no shame in sticking with that.
My wife has been out-of-town visiting relatives for the better part of two weeks, so I have been driving the Ascent (it's her car - her name is on the registration and the title).

We own three cars, each with a particular purpose. Our 2000 Mustang GT Convertible is our "fun" car. Bought it new 18+ years ago. Have put about 22K miles on it. It hibernates all winter. We take it for rides on country roads when the sun is shining and the temps are above 70. It has seen rain once in those 18+ years. Still looks brand new.

My 2017 Ford Fusion Energi is our "practical" car. It was my commuter car until I retired at the beginning of the year. Now we use it for local trips - mainly errands, shopping, appointments and so forth. Occasionally, we take it on highway trips, but not often. At my cost of electricity, fuel costs about 3 cents a mile when running on the electric motor. In hybrid mode, I get about 38 MPG in the winter and about 45 MPG in the summer.

The Ascent is our "road" car. We take a lot of highway trips to interesting places (Acadia every summer, for example) and to visit the grandkids who are about 4 hours away. We needed a car that could pack a lot of stuff, and a car where it was easy to load and unload that stuff. I like the taller view of the road and the humongous moonroof.

I love all three of our cars because each fulfills its intended purpose. Quite nicely, thank you.

·
Registered
646 Posts
We do like the car, but we are not in love with it for a variety of reasons, and we both agreed we would have purchased a different make, or even a 1 year old CPO GLS450 or Land Rover for a bit more if we were to do it over again. We went for the value proposition with the touring model, and it's a nice car, but after three months we have a little buyers remorse.

I've had a lot of 'this is a Subaru?,' and 'huge on the inside but doesn't look like it from the outside,' type of comments from friends who have been in it, and they are right about that. But the overall experience isn't what we had hoped for (overall MPG is less than our twin turbo V8 GL450!?!, more rattles at 2600 miles than the GL had at 74K, head unit issues, and while it's not a bad driving experience, it's not very engaging), even adjusting for the price point difference going in to the purchase. I don't know that we would have felt any different with any SUV in this segment. None of this makes the Ascent a bad car, but maybe it wasn't the right one for us. Maybe as we put more miles on it we appreciate it more.:dunno:
Like the person mentioned earlier Subaru has excellent build quality by that I mean look at the way they engineer the SGP. A very robust structure that is very safe in the event of a collision. Also, I never purchase the top trim Subaru always go for the premium model with a few options. Excellent value. This SUV for 32-35k can not be touched IMO. I have 0 rattles with 3k on the clock. Why would compare GL450 to a Ascent . How much is it?. BMW X5 60-70K.

·
Registered
148 Posts
How the mighty have fallen

As a former owner of BMW ('96 528e, '99 728i - RIP) I can honestly say today's BMWs are a very poor facsimile. I will never buy another. The cost is nowhere near the return.

*side note - My grandfather said that the '99 ran "like a striped-ass baboon." And he was right. I almost wiped out laughing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts