Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just bought the Ascent, (new to Subaru). Have been driving the Pathfinder for the past 5 yrs. I don't like the steering, it's feels loose or light and I feel as if I'm gripping the steering too much than I would like to. Any advice?

Thanks.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Felt the same way to me at 1st especially on the highway. Got used to it after a couple weeks

·
Registered
73 Posts
Agree I came from a car with heavier steering that I was used to, but the DW complained about being too heavy. I think the the Ascent is too light, but the DW says "yay, light steering" so I guess civdiv99 wins anyway?

·
Registered
20 Posts
totally agree, I have a Nissan Rogue as our other vehicle and I feel the same way. The steering in the Ascent is super light in comparison. I did get used to it, just wish there was a "sport" mode that would tighten it up a bit when needed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just took the Ascent on a trip from Wisconsin to Florida and back. The steering was my biggest complaint. At highway speeds (70-80mph) I find I have to drive with 2 hands as the tiniest movement of the steering wheel would translate into a large move of the vehicle. Going around curves was like a fish swim and we could not find a way to conquer this after all those miles. Is this what you are referring to as "light" steering? I come from a F-150 which I could almost fall asleep driving as it was effortless. After a 3 hour stint behind the wheel both my wife and I feel pretty tired of driving with the Ascent. Anyone else? I am hoping this is a defect in my vehicle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I forgot to mention, I use the lane assist keep when on the highway now and that helped tremendously with the "driver fatigue" from holding the steering wheel so tight.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I've been used to a light steering wheel as all my vehicles seem to have that (even my GMC 2500). When I rented a Ford Expedition (not by choice) the steering wheel felt like it was made of concrete and was sooo hard to steer.

It's all about what you are used to. Your steering computer (i.e. brain) will adjust and then it will be the new normal.

Oh yes and sometimes people think the steering feels twitchy at highway speeds. That's probably the LKA (Lane Keep Assist) bumping you back because you get too close to the lane line. Again, once used to the width of the car and that feature, it's not so bad. Some people do turn it off as they never get used to it. I only turn mine off when towing.

Reactions: packout

·
Registered
45 Posts
Used to have 2012 Pathfinder, and 2012 Maxima. Both new ones. Hated them both. Particularly for their poor ability to hold up the road, especially Maxima. Than switched to Subaru, and i'm not sure how AWD (real AWD) car can be blamed for looseness on the road. I had Legacy, now i have Ascent, and i might have a lot of complaints about Ascent, but one thing that i admire in Subaru and that kept me with them is the way their AWD handles the road. I did 75-80 MPH, and could drive with just one finger. Love it.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Oddly enough, I find the steering to be too light for my personal taste, which seems to be about right for a non performance oriented SUV... and I do not find it twitchy on back roads or on the highway. However, when taking a tighter curve on the highway, I find the lane keep to be very sensitive and intrusive. I am used to it now, but the systems on the other cars I have are not nearly as over sensitive.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
First and foremost, make sure your tires are at the correct pressure. Over inflated tires can feel skittish.

I do wish the steering had less power assist, but it does seem to tighten up with speed unless I'm imagining that. I thought the Gen 4 Outback's hydraulic power steering was really nice and it took a good amount of effort. It reminded me of the late 80s Mercedes sedans I grew up with. Those things were tanks! But it took no time to get used ot the Ascent, regardless.

Funny somebody mentioned the Rogue. My wife had a 2018 rental Rogue after a car accident and we both remarked how "loosey goosey" the steering was. It was very assisted - enough that you could drive with your pinky. It reminded me of the 1988 Ford Aerostar my dad had when I was a kid. Maybe the poster above has a different generation Rogue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually experience that today on the highway. I feel as if any speed over 70mph, is wobbly. Like I have to grip the steering with both hands. I felt so drained after I got home, it's also nerve wrecking. I don't like that. I was hoping there is something I can just add to make it a bit tighter/heavier.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
803 Posts
Just to add a counterpoint, my Ascent Limited with 10,000+ miles is the opposite of twitchy or loose feeling. I frequently get the warning to keep my hands on the steering wheel because I've exceeded the time limit with no steering input.

As it's already been stated, check your tire pressure by using the up/down controls on the lower left of the steering wheel until the combination meter in the center between the speedo and tach dials shows your tire pressure, it may not register anything until you've driven a ways. Compare that pressure to the sticker on the inside of the driver's side door that has the recommended pressure for your trim level.

I've found that a light touch on the wheel is best for me, let the Lane Keep Assist do its thing and nudge you back toward the center then just a small correction is needed to stay centered. If you are fighting this all the time I can imagine it could be tiring.

We recently took a trip with over 6,000 highway miles and my wife who doesn't normally drive much on previous trips did about 40% of the driving this time because she enjoyed it so much.

If your dealer is nearby, I'd suggest having them test drive your Ascent just to make sure there isn't a mechanical problem somewhere. They can adjust your tire pressure too.

Hope you all can get comfortable with your Ascents.

Reactions: Cactus99

·
Registered
561 Posts
I've recently had an alignment in which I now have near zero toe-in and the camber was also adjusted as it was pretty far off.
The steering is now not as nervous feeling and more enjoyable to drive.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Just to add a counterpoint, my Ascent Limited with 10,000+ miles is the opposite of twitchy or loose feeling... <snipped for length>

I'm with Gary, I love the steering feel in the Ascent. However, my previous two vehicles were Subaru Crosstreks, so it might be I'm just used to the Subaru steering feel. They don't quite match the excellent (to me) steering feel of my old Miata, but they are fairly close, certainly close enough for me, in road feel and weight.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,904 Posts
I also like the steering on the Ascent. At low speed, it does feel more assisted compared to the Grand Cherokee that I previously drove (as well as toward our Outbacks), but it's smooth and I'm already used to it after only about 250 miles. Mine is rock-solid at highway speeds, too.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I actually experience that today on the highway. I feel as if any speed over 70mph, is wobbly. Like I have to grip the steering with both hands. I felt so drained after I got home, it's also nerve wrecking. I don't like that. I was hoping there is something I can just add to make it a bit tighter/heavier.
That sounds odd. My Ascent tracks straight and is stable at high speed.

Can you acknowledge if you have your tire pressures set to the factory recommendations and if you are still experience the same "wobbly" feeling with LKA off?

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
That's absolutely not normal. I'd check your tire pressure, and, failing one or more of them being off, I'd take it in to be checked out. A number of people have hit triple digits with no issue.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I think I’m going to get my alignment checked. I really dislike the total lack of on-center steering feel. It feels very twitchy and I have a hard time holding a good line through turns. It’s so bad that I end up driving kind of slow sometimes because I just don’t have any confidence in the twisties.

My tires are at the correct inflation. Lane keep assist is turned off.

In comparison I can hold a better line through the twisties in my 9400 lb, 22 ft long Ford Superduty dually pickup truck.

·
Registered
920 Posts
That's absolutely not normal. I'd check your tire pressure, and, failing one or more of them being off, I'd take it in to be checked out. A number of people have hit triple digits with no issue.
Mine was totally stable at 110 on rural Texas highways. Yeah, twitchy at 70 is NOT normal.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
22 Posts
Make sure the Lane Keep Assist is turned off. Otherwise the steering wheel will feel overly light and seemingly always over correcting.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts