Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It makes absolutely zero sense to me why Subaru decided to hard-code the steering wheel station controls < > to the radio only. Why force me to take my hand off the steering wheel to switch stations ifI am listening to SXM? Wouldn't it make more sense to map the < > station buttons to change stations on the media you are listening to at that moment?

·
Administrator
12,434 Posts
Switching stations

It makes absolutely zero sense to me why Subaru decided to hard-code the steering wheel station controls < > to the radio only. Why force me to take my hand off the steering wheel to switch stations ifI am listening to SXM? Wouldn't it make more sense to map the < > station buttons to change stations on the media you are listening to at that moment?
They do. If yours are not, then there's something wrong. In radio XM mode, presets need to be programmed/saved, and it switches between them.

• Radio: switches between station presets
  • SXM: switches between presets (including any AM/FM presets)
  • USB: changes tracks
  • Android Auto: changes tracks

Additionally, other important functionality that's not on the steering controls in this model is mute/pause. It's been moved to the volume knob instead. To use it, short press once (long press puts the head unit into sleep mode):
  • Radio: mute/unmute
  • SXM: mute/unmute
  • USB: pause/unpause
  • Android Auto: pause/unpause

·
Administrator
12,434 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They do. If yours are not, then there's something wrong. In radio XM mode, presets need to be programmed/saved, and it switches between them.

• Radio: switches between station presets
  • SXM: switches between presets (including any AM/FM presets)
  • USB: changes tracks
  • Android Auto: changes tracks

Additionally, other important functionality that's not on the steering controls in this model is mute/pause. It's been moved to the volume knob instead. To use it, short press once (long press puts the head unit into sleep mode):
  • Radio: mute/unmute
  • SXM: mute/unmute
  • USB: pause/unpause
  • Android Auto: pause/unpause
Ha! You are right! Also, turns out that if you switch to a preset station (let's say SXM) and then hold right arrow key for about 2 seconds, it will actually tune to the next station (or previous station if you hold the left arrow key)! Sweeeeeeet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine is at the dealer now. Technician asked me a couple questions about which key fob was in the car (only mine) then said he would look into it further. I'll ask that it be escalated up the chain.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I notified Subaru about lost sxm. They told me to try all what I tied already: create profile, reset head unit.

I replied that I tied it all. They suggested to take to the dealer to look into replacing head unit. I said since other having the same problem (and pointed them to thread with the folks reporting not same ) , I don’t think it’s this unit specific problem.

That’s was it. No real solution. I am sure it’s bug in the firmare. Since HU is not made by Subaru it’s outside of they control.

I also asked them how to turn off 2nd and 3rd reading lights. They said they will get back to me. I believe it’s design issue - for some reason these lights are not wired to slider door/off switch. Unless Subaru can instruct and pay dealer to reiwre I am not sure how it can get fixed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.