Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, I moved our 2019 Ascent from the garage to the driveway to do some work in the garage. About 6 hours later, I tried to move it back. When I got in car and hit the ignition button, nothing happened. I then noticed the steering wheel was locked and wouldn’t turn at all. I tried the ignition button a few more times with varying results. I started getting RAB disabled messages, Turn Steering Wheel messages, Eye Sight off messages. At one point, the headlights started rapidly flashing on and off with a loud clicking noise. Then, the steering wheel unlocked and radio would play, but no engine start. I walked away from the car a few times, but same result when trying to start. Fortunately, it was safe in the driveway, so I left it. In the morning, went out to car, after 3 times of trying hit ignition, it finally started. I quickly moved it into the garage and parked.
Later, my wife took it to dealership to have inspected. After a horrible experience (Subaru of Wilsonville, OR), they claimed they can’t see anything wrong.

This is the 3rd time this has happened in last 10 months. We have owned for 12 months.

This is my wife’s car that she uses to haul around our 2 and 4 year olds. If this had happened somewhere less convenient or at night, it could be a big problem.

Anyone have any idea what is going on and what I can tell dealership to look into?

Thx in advance.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
A few days ago my Accent wouldn't start because there was too much tension on the steering wheel locking mechanism. I finally noticed the Turn Steering Wheel message and turned the wheel enough (it should turn one way or the other) to relieve the tension, held it there and pressed Start. It started ok then. I didn't see any of the goofy electronics fireworks though.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring (Canadian Edition) -- Ice Silver Metallic
114 Posts
If your engine won't start...reboot the thing like you would a computer. Yes too many electronics in cars these days.

Just push and hold the start button for 10 secs until it resets.... Read it somewhere in the manual. Haven't had this issue myself yet.

Same goes for rear lift gate if it ever seems to "do nothing".

·
Registered
777 Posts
I think you have to take a video of what's happening the next time this occurs, as proof. And re emphasize how bad this would be if you or your wife and kids were stranded far from home when this happened. Admittedly, intermittent things like this are hard to diagnose. Unfortunately, if they can't recreate it, or there's no code that's picked up, it's hard for them to do anything.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
A few days ago my Accent wouldn't start because there was too much tension on the steering wheel locking mechanism.
I've had this happen with our MY11 Outback Limited...while in the parking lot at Costco a few months ago, as a matter of fact. It was indeed the steering wheel lock being in funky tension and after I "man handled it" a bit, I was able to start the vehicle. I've not had a problem with the Ascent, however.

Reactions: GaryInMI
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.