Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will it be improved on the 2020 on my test drive it felt very sloppy not what I’m use to. I test drove a 2019 Ascent.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,844 Posts
I don't believe there is any change in steering behavior. There is more assist at low speeds than some folks are used to and they may find that to feel "sloppy" at first, but one gets used to it very quickly and it tapers off at highway speeds. I have zero complaints about the steering on my MY19 Ascent and my transition from the stiffer system in the Grand Cherokee to the Ascent took a matter of...minutes, honestly.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the info I appreciated it. Will do another test drive and take more time when I test drive it. Do you also leave your lane assist engaged?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Turn Lane Keeping off if you are evaluating steering tightness. I'd minimize distractions and any outside inputs. Try all speeds. Gotta be happy with this on any car to buy!

Then kick it back on if you want to evaluate Lane Keeping.

(I'm very happy with steering tightness on my Touring. Feels more precise / less play than my old Merc GL450. But the 20" rims might be helping the Touring.)

F.S.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,844 Posts
Hey thanks for the info I appreciated it. Will do another test drive and take more time when I test drive it. Do you also leave your lane assist engaged?
I only use the actual "assist" when traveling on the Interstate on long trips. That feature can really make steering feel wonky if you don't realize it's engaged and you tend to "wander" along the road. I leave the warning on most of the time, but it's best to turn that off when driving on narrower rural roads because of the constant warnings that result just because of the road. These features are easy to control so use them when they make sense and provide benefit.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi ScottieG,

I suggestion for you also. If you test drive the Ascent again, you should note the tire pressure. The Touring trim models have a tire pressure display in driver information center, just scroll through using the buttons on the lower left of the steering wheel. I am not sure if the other trims have this feature.

Ascents with 20" wheels should have around 33 psi (give or take a few pounds due to temperature). The cars come with extra air in the tires for transport and that particular Ascent may not have been adjusted before it went to the dealer lot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts