Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT:
Due to heavy snow throughout a hundred miles of the mountainous parts of the trip, followed by traversing a mud road in snow up hill, this has been delayed until next weekend or the one after (depending on what work allows).

After work, I start packing for a 1,400 mile road trip that will include hundreds of miles of towing over 4,000 pounds of travel trailer (fully loaded) through four mountain ranges (Taconic, Catskills, Adirondack and Green Mountains (yes, where the coffee company is)), towing on dirt and mud "roads"/trails, driving through muddy fields and more. 300 towing, 200+ through mountains, 1,100 other travel miles without the trailer.

That'll also put me only 283 miles from breaking 21,000 miles!!!

This is the muddy mess I will be towing on tomorrow, in the Green Mountains, up "hill".

Here's what I will be towing... 2011 Heartland Edge M18 (link)

·
Registered
559 Posts
Nice! I wish I could get away with a small travel trailer like that. Unfortunately with 3 growing boys and a dawg, we are in a 34 ft Grand Design Reflection fifth wheel.

Looks like a fun trip!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Robert, you know you and I are bound to destroy our CVTs with all this heavy towing! gdr!

Wishing you safe travels and anxious to hear the after report! :D

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Small chance I will get footage...

Robert, you know you and I are bound to destroy our CVTs with all this heavy towing! gdr!

Wishing you safe travels and anxious to hear the after report! :D
The towing part was spur of the moment. I gotta see if I can get some of my vehicle cam gear out and charged for the trip. It was originally only an architecture photography trip... just the Ascent, DSLRs, and photogs.

I SOOOO want to record as much of this as possible though. I guess it will be a long night. Gonna run Torque the whole route too and log what I can.

What I am interested in is how well it handles the mud. I've towed cars out of mud before (while also being in the mud), but, even as poorly as they were assisting, they *were* assisting... and of course the travel trailer is just dead weight. It'll be interesting.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I use the google Track Addict app to do my data logging. It can connect to your OBDII as well. I use it for my race tracks, but it has a drag race mode, a segment mode (like you would use for this trip) and even an offroad mode. You can even record video from the phone and then overlay the data later using the RaceRender program on the PC. That's how I captured my towing data when I took my pop-up into the mountains. (I didn't have the phone mounted where I could take video, but next time I can!) . It's also how I do my racing videos in my Mustang, though sadly it doesn't have an OBDII port!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Have a good trip! Still having weather blowing in from the Pacific. I hope that mud doesn’t get any worse. Looks pretty slick. All my mud treks have had enough rock and granite in play to not be slick slime style mud.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks!

I use the google Track Addict app to do my data logging. It can connect to your OBDII as well. I use it for my race tracks, but it has a drag race mode, a segment mode (like you would use for this trip) and even an offroad mode. You can even record video from the phone and then overlay the data later using the RaceRender program on the PC. That's how I captured my towing data when I took my pop-up into the mountains. (I didn't have the phone mounted where I could take video, but next time I can!) . It's also how I do my racing videos in my Mustang, though sadly it doesn't have an OBDII port!

https://youtu.be/88ZDowUP6j4

https://youtu.be/3MsJgWzkdMo
Nice! Thanks!!! Installed, and will be setting it up soon!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Nice! Thanks!!! Installed, and will be setting it up soon!
Btw, if you have a newer gopro, you can also sync with it and with RaceRender you can combine both videos and do pic in pic, plus data overlay and it's all configurable. A geek's data dream! :D

(Even if it's an older gopro or other camera, you can manually start/sync the video)

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have a good trip! Still having weather blowing in from the Pacific. I hope that mud doesn’t get any worse. Looks pretty slick. All my mud treks have had enough rock and granite in play to not be slick slime style mud.
Somewhere in all that mud is supposedly some gravel... we'll see, lol! I've never towed that much dead weight through mud.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Somewhere in all that mud is supposedly some gravel... we'll see, lol! I've never towed that much dead weight through mud.
Robert,

Vermont is much more pleasant in July and August. Most of the mud has dried by then.
LOL, very true!

Though I do like the challenge! Let's see if the Ascent is up to it!

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOL, very true!

Though I do like the challenge! Let's see if the Ascent is up to it!
What kind of maintenance have you done on your Ascent since you are approaching 21k?
All of it. Pretty much what you see in the book, plus a couple extra oil changes.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, sudden storm dropping up to 6" of snow and 40mph winds, with more in elevations over 1,000 feet (which is where we'll be). That storm covers a hundred miles of the trip, so we've moved the trip to next weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Awesome!

That RV looks to be in the same weight class (~3980 lbs GDW) as the Lance 1685 I'm looking to purchase and haul all around the country with my Ascent. Data from your trip will prove very valuable. Please let us know how well the Ascent did.

I was looking at lighter, single axle trailers but the dual axle RV's track so much better, the price difference is minimal, and you get so much more. I'm just a bit concerned about the weight of the gear etc. and staying under 5,000 pounds, but I think it's doable. Your trip should prove that.

Also, I can't tell for certain but it looks like you'll be near my neck of the woods (VT). Should you need anything at all while in the area just let me know. Have a great trip next week and enjoy!

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Lance is on my Shortlist!

Awesome!

That RV looks to be in the same weight class (~3980 lbs GDW) as the Lance 1685 I'm looking to purchase and haul all around the country with my Ascent. Data from your trip will prove very valuable. Please let us know how well the Ascent did.

I was looking at lighter, single axle trailers but the dual axle RV's track so much better, the price difference is minimal, and you get so much more. I'm just a bit concerned about the weight of the gear etc. and staying under 5,000 pounds, but I think it's doable. Your trip should prove that.

Also, I can't tell for certain but it looks like you'll be near my neck of the woods (VT). Should you need anything at all while in the area just let me know. Have a great trip next week and enjoy!
Hiya! So, that RV isn't mine, but my best friend's. At some point, I plan on getting my own, and was considering Lance, lol (the 1575 since the GVWR fits)! I'm also considering the R-Pods by Forest River and their Rockwood Geo Pro's. Still undecided, but, not doing any such purchase any time soon, so, I've got some time to figure it out.

We're putting off the trip until next week, but I will let you know where in VT we're going through once we re-plan next week's version of this delayed trip.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Hiya! So, that RV isn't mine, but my best friend's. At some point, I plan on getting my own, and was considering Lance, lol (the 1575 since the GVWR fits)! I'm also considering the R-Pods by Forest River and their Rockwood Geo Pro's. Still undecided, but, not doing any such purchase any time soon, so, I've got some time to figure it out.

We're putting off the trip until next week, but I will let you know where in VT we're going through once we re-plan next week's version of this delayed trip.
We should compare notes on RV's when you get back. I'm still about a year away from deciding myself and doing a ton of research. The Lance 1575 is still in my top five as are the R-Pods. The Lance dealer claims the 1685 was designed for 5000-pound tow rated mid-sized SUV's like the Ascent but it's a bit heavy, and until I get a chance to test drive it, I won't know for sure. It's so much better than the 1575 though and costs only a little bit more. It's also four seasons rated which is what I need so I can do the kind of winter season camping you're doing. Still much more research to do. The dual axle Heartland Edge M18 you're going to be towing falls between the 1575 and 1685 so it will be interesting to hear how well the Ascent tows it.

It's "mud season" here, so please watch out for those dirt roads, they can swallow even the best 4 wheelers. Most roads should be ok but if you see deep ruts please beware.

Have a safe trip and looking forward to your feedback when you return!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KknTQf0VHos

1 - 20 of 26 Posts