Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Starlink update?

10K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  packout 
#1 ·
I got this in an email today. Is this the same update that came out in December? The link did not work.

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes, that refers to the head unit update, and, as far as I can tell, it's the December 23rd 2020 version. Emails are staggered over 4-6 weeks.

#8 ·
I’ve been trying to update via a usb stick but the app (MacOS) says it can’t format the usb. I’ve reformatted the usb to both MacOS and PC but no luck with either. I’d rather not try the Wi-Fi from the car.
The Harman software and head unit can be finicky about the USB drive that is used. You may try reformatting the drive (using MacOS) to Fat32 and then seeing if the Harman software will reformat and update to its liking. If not, try another brand/model of USB drive.

(My head unit rejected a drive after it started the update process, leaving me to believe I'd bricked it. I added a detour to Target to get a new drive and enough WiFi signal to run the Harman software again ... and things proceeded smoothly with the different make/model).

#11 ·
The email notifications are staggered and come out over the span of multiple weeks. Kinda like some phone updates.

#12 ·
They likely space out the notifications to keep from completely overwhelming the servers more than they are already overwhelmed.... ;)

Reactions: Robert.Mauro
#15 · (Edited)
EDITED WRONG INFORMATION HERE - Updated post below

I have used this for all of my updates and it has worked for every one. I had it laying around and decided to give it a shot. I was going to go to a USB 3.0 device, but I don't know if the car has USB 3.0, so there would be no real benefit.

SanDisk 32GB Cruzer Glide USB 2.0 Flash Drive - SDCZ60-032G-B35

From Amazon.com

Learn more: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B007YX9O9E/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_J38WRN7VBVN71YDC54GW

#16 ·
@E-EC-ECU I'd definitely use USB 3.0. A bunch of us have timed USB 2.0 sticks for the update, and the in car portion may take well over an hour (instead of 14-16 minutes).

#18 ·
Ooops, sorry, I thought this was a thread where I'd shared the links. Apologies... I use these, but they definitely didn't work until I reformatted them NTFS on my PC (they seem to get correctly set up on a Mac):

I have a bunch of them ranging 32GB to 256GB. I use a larger one in the car for music because it's barely visible (only the little plastic bump on the left sticks out). This is my "Car updates" one (with a lanyard and clip I attached to hang it to my wall near my computer between updates)...

#20 ·
lol, someplace I have the same USB 2 stick as in your post, and of course a plethora of others due to my day job... I made the mistake of grabbing the wrong one once... that's when I got the idea of a dedicated stick, since they're so cheap now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.