Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this in an email today. Is this the same update that came out in December? The link did not work.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Yes, that refers to the head unit update, and, as far as I can tell, it's the December 23rd 2020 version. Emails are staggered over 4-6 weeks.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I got the email this week and updated last night. The link to instructions just tells you how to connect your car to wifi and then how to check for an update in the settings menu. Very easy. I'd upload them but am having network issues this morning. I'm sure you could figure it out on your own.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited, white/black
8 Posts
I’ve been trying to update via a usb stick but the app (MacOS) says it can’t format the usb. I’ve reformatted the usb to both MacOS and PC but no luck with either. I’d rather not try the Wi-Fi from the car.
Any suggestion?

Thanks, Ed

·
Registered
49 Posts
My vehicle already shows up to date based on the build ID, so it appears to be the same as from December (even though the instructions now have a February revision date).

The link to the directions was intermittent for me, I will try attaching here.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
I’ve been trying to update via a usb stick but the app (MacOS) says it can’t format the usb. I’ve reformatted the usb to both MacOS and PC but no luck with either. I’d rather not try the Wi-Fi from the car.
The Harman software and head unit can be finicky about the USB drive that is used. You may try reformatting the drive (using MacOS) to Fat32 and then seeing if the Harman software will reformat and update to its liking. If not, try another brand/model of USB drive.

(My head unit rejected a drive after it started the update process, leaving me to believe I'd bricked it. I added a detour to Target to get a new drive and enough WiFi signal to run the Harman software again ... and things proceeded smoothly with the different make/model).

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited, white/black
8 Posts
The Harman software and head unit can be finicky about the USB drive that is used. You may try reformatting the drive (using MacOS) to Fat32 and then seeing if the Harman software will reformat and update to its liking. If not, try another brand/model of USB drive.

(My head unit rejected a drive after it started the update process, leaving me to believe I'd bricked it. I added a detour to Target to get a new drive and enough WiFi signal to run the Harman software again ... and things proceeded smoothly with the different make/model).
Thanks, I tried both formats with no luck. I haven’t been able to get it loaded on the stick so I can take it to the car.
I picked up my Ascent on 12/31/20 so maybe I don’t need it. I should go look 🤪

·
Registered
35 Posts
The email I got has the attached pdf file. It is definitely for the 2020.12.23 REL_20.41.70 update. I did it when it came out nearly 2 months ago, so not sure why this notice is out.

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
The email notifications are staggered and come out over the span of multiple weeks. Kinda like some phone updates.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,828 Posts
They likely space out the notifications to keep from completely overwhelming the servers more than they are already overwhelmed.... ;)

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
2021 Ascent
57 Posts

Lawd, the ole lady overheard me saying sun of a and next you know it there is my wife and two kids looking at me shaking their heads. 20 days old and I already botched up a simple update. Right now, I'm loading up the files to the new 3.0 USB Sandisk 65gb - fresh from Wally's. I did try using a 16gb 2.0 Sandisk and right away it started and then got to 100 percent complete on the GraceNote and the update failed and would come up with that pesky message about retry or shutting off in 666 seconds. Blasted Sassy B is trying to get me on the couch!

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
101 Posts
EDITED WRONG INFORMATION HERE - Updated post below

I have used this for all of my updates and it has worked for every one. I had it laying around and decided to give it a shot. I was going to go to a USB 3.0 device, but I don't know if the car has USB 3.0, so there would be no real benefit.

SanDisk 32GB Cruzer Glide USB 2.0 Flash Drive - SDCZ60-032G-B35

From Amazon.com

Learn more: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B007YX9O9E/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_J38WRN7VBVN71YDC54GW

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
@E-EC-ECU I'd definitely use USB 3.0. A bunch of us have timed USB 2.0 sticks for the update, and the in car portion may take well over an hour (instead of 14-16 minutes).

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
So which specific brand and model USB 3.0 drive have you had success with, Robert?
Ooops, sorry, I thought this was a thread where I'd shared the links. Apologies... I use these, but they definitely didn't work until I reformatted them NTFS on my PC (they seem to get correctly set up on a Mac):

I have a bunch of them ranging 32GB to 256GB. I use a larger one in the car for music because it's barely visible (only the little plastic bump on the left sticks out). This is my "Car updates" one (with a lanyard and clip I attached to hang it to my wall near my computer between updates)...

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
101 Posts
@E-EC-ECU I'd definitely use USB 3.0. A bunch of us have timed USB 2.0 sticks for the update, and the in car portion may take well over an hour (instead of 14-16 minutes).
Thanks! I knew my updates didn't take that long so I went to my car to doublecheck. I have the SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 - 32GB.

It looks similar to the cruzer I mentioned in my wrong post above, so I went on Amazon and tried to find mine based on images alone. I was definitely wrong on that search :).

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
lol, someplace I have the same USB 2 stick as in your post, and of course a plethora of others due to my day job... I made the mistake of grabbing the wrong one once... that's when I got the idea of a dedicated stick, since they're so cheap now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts