Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife recently bought a Limited Ascent. Included in the purchase is a 3 year free "Safety Plus" starlink subscription. I'm debating whether to upgrade our subscription to the "Security Plus" which includes remote starting your car with the use of the MySubaru app versus buying the remote starter. Also, I wanted to get input from owners who have experienced remote starting the Ascent with the use of the MySubaru app. Is it any good? Any problems with the app? Thanks in advance Ascent community!

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
My wife recently bought a Limited Ascent. Included in the purchase is a 3 year free "Safety Plus" starlink subscription. I'm debating whether to upgrade our subscription to the "Security Plus" which includes remote starting your car with the use of the MySubaru app versus buying the remote starter. Also, I wanted to get input from owners who have experienced remote starting the Ascent with the use of the MySubaru app. Is it any good? Any problems with the app? Thanks in advance Ascent community!
My experience with starting the car remotely using the app has been positive, and I have not experienced any issues with it. And as you know, the Security Plus option allows you to do other things as well that might be of use. Others will surely respond with their experiences, but it is an upgrade to our Starlink subscription that I'm glad we opted for.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been researching online regarding personal experiences with the remote start using the MySubaru app but couldn't find very useful info. Your response has definitely gave me an idea about leaning towards upgrading her subscription and opting for the remote start via app. Thanks!

·
Registered
118 Posts
We've got the subscription. It's my wife's Ascent, and she has used remote start a few times, and reported no issues. I've used the remote location service a time or 2, without issue.

Reactions: ryanrm212

·
Registered
8 Posts
We’ve only had our ascent for a couple weeks but it’s pretty much been below zero since we picked it up from the dealership so the remote start has been used a ton. I’d venture to guess that she’s used it 40-50 times, at least. It’s worked flawlessly, good enough that I’m taking the astrostart that we pulled out of her explorer and putting it in my pickup. It of course takes an extra 20 seconds to open the app and start it as opposed to just pushing a button on your key fob but the fact that you can also adjust all the climate stuff from the app is a worthwhile trade off for that IMO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Having a remote start is definitely recommended especially living here in Illinois. This would be our first time having a remote start and your inputs have been very helpful! Thanks all : )

·
Registered
818 Posts
I just subscribed to the Security Plus and so far it works flawless.Only tested the system with the vehicle in the garage and connectivity seems pretty quick,I would say about 2-3 seconds.Like how you can customize the HVAC system the way you need it according to the environment.The car locator definitely will come in handy when you’re having a CRS day and also the remote start since I have the Premium model.

·
Registered
98 Posts
This is the first car I have had with remote start. I don't use it much, but it is fantastic when I do. The car stays locked until I get in it and it won't move until I push the start button again. I like that security.

When I'm bored, I play with IFTT to see if I can create a one-button start on my phone. I get imatient when I have to login to the app (one touch), then select remote services and another passkey. For this funcion, that seems like too much security for a simple function when the car is still safe from theft without the key fob.

·
Registered
71 Posts
This is the first car I have had with remote start. I don't use it much, but it is fantastic when I do. The car stays locked until I get in it and it won't move until I push the start button again. I like that security.

When I'm bored, I play with IFTT to see if I can create a one-button start on my phone. I get impatient when I have to login to the app (one touch), then select remote services and another passkey. For this funcion, that seems like too much security for a simple function when the car is still safe from theft without the key fob.
From an (information) security perspective, this is reassuring that there are a few steps to get in. Once you're in the app, you can also unlock the car and do many other things.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just subscribed to the Security Plus and so far it works flawless.Only tested the system with the vehicle in the garage and connectivity seems pretty quick,I would say about 2-3 seconds.Like how you can customize the HVAC system the way you need it according to the environment.The car locator definitely will come in handy when you’re having a CRS day and also the remote start since I have the Premium model.
Is this controlled over wireless networks or Satellite? The question being that if it's under a car port, in a parking garage etc. is the Starlink effective?

·
Registered
965 Posts
2019 Forester has the same app. I made sure and got it for my wife. It works better than the physical remote start we had on the 2015 Fozzie - no shutting off the engine when you open the door now. And you can set the climate control from your phone.

Note that you MUST have keyless access to the car to use the cell phone app - otherwise you're stuck with having to get a second key fob.

Anyway, she uses it all the time, as our car sits outside. Note that you also don't have to worry about a car thief - it locks the gear shift, so the car cannot shift out of park until it detects the key fob and you have to push the keyless start button and step on the brake pedal for it to activate once you ARE in the car.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I’m gonna say satellite,tried the system with the Ascent in the garage with the door closed.Went thru all the settings and they all worked as designed .

·
Registered
677 Posts
I use the MySubaru/Starlink remote start function about twice a day, every day. It's worked very reliably for me.

Here's my past posts on this topic:

https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...ace/997-ascent-remote-start-25.html#post69929
I'm going to give this a try when I return to work this evening. Our underground garage gets WiFi (occasionally cellular LTE), and I'm going to try it both via WiFi only from my phone (when I am in our basement lab, I do not get cellular service) as well as when my phone does receive a cellular signal.

https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...ace/997-ascent-remote-start-25.html#post69963
OK, so, this is interesting......

I will try again from our upstairs lab, which, of-course, has plenty of windows and thus also cellular reception (I shouldn't say that our basement lab does not have cell reception - it only has Sprint, for which the university is contracted). But I don't really expect this to be any different than anywhere else.

What is interesting was my experience in the basement.

No cellular signal on my phone (iPhone SE - yes, I know, but honestly, I'd prefer an even smaller phone...or just a much more rugged one, I don't really do much with my phone ), which is on AT&T. Remember, my institution's contract is selectively with Sprint, so as soon as I get inside a portion of the building with no windows, my cell reception drops to nil.

But in the basement garage, where my phone only sometimes register 1 bar of signal at-best (sometimes, I won't get a signal at all), I'm getting two on the car's infotainment screen, again confirming Robert.Mauro, CDN-Ottawa, and other's observations that reception happens to be better with the vehicle.

And guess what?

Yup, remote start via MySubaru works.

I'm going to hit remote start again from the upstairs lab when I leave. We'll see if the fluctuating cell reception that I sometimes see in the basement garage manages to interfere this time.

and

https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...ace/997-ascent-remote-start-25.html#post70011
OK, so, I made the test from the upstairs lab, where there are plenty of windows, and 4-bars reception via AT&T on my old iPhone.

And this is where it got weird.

For some reason, I got four rejections in a row. In each case, MySubaru popped up a window in-app (iOS) to say that the remote start attempt failed.

I kept trying - hence the four attempts - and at some point, I received a push notification (my selection for MySubaru reporting) which said that the remote start attempt was successful. :confused:

As a confounding factor, I had cellular data disabled for the MySubaru app. The university's WiFi in my building had been spotty all week, and it's very possible that the phone dropping the signal - and then my turning on cellular data for it before subsequent tries to start the vehicle remotely - made the difference betwee failure and success.

Anyway, I get down to the car, and it's started and awaiting my entry as-usual.

I could not make any inferences between cellular reception on the vehicle - or WiFi signal - and either the successful or failed attempts.

I do not have an AT&T cellular LTE line enabled for my Ascent, yet.

------

I didn't see these questions answered - it's probably common-knowledge by now, but I'll note them anyway for the sake of other newcomers like myself:

Can you access Starlink from a website and remote start your car?

Note: Some folks I know can't bring any electronic devices (e.g. mobile phones) in their work centers/building.
Yes.

The MySubaru desktop interface also has a Remote Start radio-button.

If you set the ventilated seats to "ON" when you turn off the car, do they turn back on when you use the Remote Start?
Currently (as of 11/16/2018), seat ventilation controls is not among the listed parameters for Remote Start operation. I have a Touring, but it's not an option that's showing on MySubaru.

I'll give this a try tomorrow, however.

Now, with a bit more time-on-task, I think that the rejected attempts that I experienced were one of those infrequent instances where the system glitched.

Occasionally, you'll find posts on the Subaru Ascent FB Group where folks post to ask about whether the Group experienced app glitches causing remote-start failures.

Honestly, I think I've only experienced this three times in my now going on three months of ownership and everyday use of this feature. To me, that's really pretty darned good.

The additional app features, such as remote door locking, is also something that I really appreciate having.

My salesman was very willing to absorb the nominal three year subscription fee for the "Safety Plus and Security Plus," which covers the term of my lease, and I think that this, along with the Concierge plan (along with extras such as wheel/tire protection, if you're riding on the 20-inch fitment) are good negotiating points that potential buyers/leasees should aim to bargain for, as they seem to be easy wins.

·
Registered
81 Posts
As with others... highly recommend it. I purchased the 5 years for $250 offer during delivery and it's one of our favorite features in fact we use it every day. The My Subaru app is solid (at least on android) and works well.

(Now if only I could get Alexa to start the car!! ;-)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Is this controlled over wireless networks or Satellite? The question being that if it's under a car port, in a parking garage etc. is the Starlink effective?

I haven't confirmed, but I'm betting since the Wifi is ATT, that the Starlink functions are also supported by ATT (and it's roaming partners) That said, just like the Starlink dependencies... if you're out of range of a cell signal, you may not have service.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have the Security Plus as well. Pretty awesome. Nice being able to remote start your car (from anywhere) and set temperatures and settings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Starlink Remote Start

I have used the remote start several times. It has never failed. I do wish the headlights would not come on unless I directed them to. I have had a couple complaints that people in the neighborhood didn't like them on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Subaru Youtube channel

For everyone looking for more information about Subaru Technology including the Remote Start, Please look up the Subaru channel of YouTube.
Specifically, the remote start feature is relatively inexpensive vs previous add-on starts and family members with the login can all use it on their smart phones. I live in Wisconsin which is fairly chilly some mornings. The remote start and climate control means when I get in, my seats are warm, the windows are clear and I'm not driving off with cold engine and transmission oil. Win-Win-Win.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the remote start option, we bought for $78 for the 3 years(that’s for 3 years not one) we will have car, so I couldn’t pass it up. If we had ordered the car and we’re purchasing it, we would have got the key fob. My remote start works great! There are other things you can do remotely too. I had a problem one time, and I think it was my phone not the app. I even unlocked it while we were far far away and it worked. I’m talking miles away. But you have to buy it while you buying your car, I think the price goes up if you add it later.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts