Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, when I got my car new in 2018, I got a 3-year Starlink subscription. That time is now up, and it looks like the only option to renew is annually...at (of course) a higher rate. Any way to renew for multiple years to get a better deal? Or any tricks--like with Sirius XM--where you tell them you'll cancel and they immediately offer a better rate?

Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,857 Posts
Have you called them? Speaking to a representative might be helpful relative to a multi-year renewal. I don't know that for a fact, but that's what I'd be doing, despite the fact that I personally prefer to interact via the keyboard normally.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you called them? Speaking to a representative might be helpful relative to a multi-year renewal.
No, that’s a simple but good idea. The renewal info was sent via email, and the account details are on the Subaru site, so that’s all I thought of. ☺

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
my Starlink subscription auto renews in March of 2022 at the rate of $99.95 for Safety Plus annual & $49.95 for Security Plus annual. I think I would try one month prior to negotiate a two year deal at a discount.

·
Registered
566 Posts
my Starlink subscription auto renews in March of 2022 at the rate of $99.95 for Safety Plus annual & $49.95 for Security Plus annual. I think I would try one month prior to negotiate a two year deal at a discount.
Where did you find that info? I could be wrong, but I don't remember seeing that on the site. I'm also not due until September.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Does the STARLINK9 promo code work for 50% off still?
I just found this. Posters on this outback forum are saying it worked for them and some say it did not work for them.:unsure: try different browser if having problem using code.
Pro-tip. If you know you want to purchase multiple years, the promo code allowed me to make a second purchase which added another year of service to the year-long subscription.

"Worked for me, twice for 2- one-year extensions.

Code is STARLINK9

Also note it weirdly seemed case sensitive, so be sure to use capital letters. "

" Jan 21, 2020

I just used this code within the last 10 minutes and it worked fine. Paid $74.50 for first year, then did as original poster suggested and extended my subscription for another year at $74.50. So paid a total of $149 for two years. Thanks for posting this code!"

"Feb 16, 2020
Just renewed and upgraded to security plus using the promo code and it worked, got a 50% discount."

"Code still works 1/13/2021 "

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for sharing the code. If anyone has luck with it, please share. All I see are options to turn on/off automatic renewal. See screenshot. Maybe I have to let it lapse first?
Font Rectangle Document Number Screenshot

·
Super Moderator
2,429 Posts
@packout thanks for the info where to find the pricing. I was digging thru their site trying to find it. The links to get pricing don't actually do what they say!

Per @Jim_in_PA I'm about to call them to get potential multiyear pricing. I'll let ya'll know!

Its hard to believe its been almost 3 years already

·
Super Moderator
2,429 Posts
Quick update and MySubaru website tips:

• Calling Starlink for renewal discounts is useless. "discounts and multiyear plans are only available thru the dealer at purchase."
    • this wasn't quite true, see below.
  • Canceling only Safety Plus is impossible. Though not stated, its required under Security Plus.
  • Renewal pricing is available under 'billing information', not 'get pricing'.
  • Canceling both Safety and Security in the last month gave me a very small refund, but allowed me to actually view plan pricing to start new service.
    • also caused other problems, see below.
  • 1-3 year and monthly plans are available.
    • $99.95/1yr, $149.95/2yr, $199.95/3yr, $9.95/mo for Safety Plus
  • Tips and updates end right there because the website threw me an error so I called customer service again. Their advice was take the vehicle to the dealer for 'basic provisioning'. If anyone knows a way around this I'm all ears.
    • my gas mileage should improve since I cant get to the dealership anytime soon so remote starting won't be an option...

·
Registered
3,715 Posts

• Calling Starlink for renewal discounts is useless. "discounts and multiyear plans are only available thru the dealer at purchase."
  • Canceling only Safety Plus is impossible. Though not stated, its required under Security Plus.
  • Canceling both Safety and Security in the last month gave me a very small refund, but allowed me to actually view plan pricing to start new service.
  • Tips and updates end right there because the website threw me an error so I called customer service again. Their advice was take the vehicle to the dealer for 'basic provisioning'. If anyone knows a way around this I'm all ears.
    • my gas mileage should improve since I cant get to the dealership anytime soon so remote starting won't be an option...
maybe Robert through his dealer contacts can figure how we can get some decent multi year renewal pricing.

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
Alas, to both, I can't. I've been following along - just don't have a solution to this or way to assist on this one. Sorry everyone.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Premium Blue Abyss
325 Posts
See what I'm finding odd is, Subaru is known for people keeping their cars for ever. So why wouldn't they at least offer 3 or 5 year plans after the first renewal comes up. Heck give me $5 off for going with a 3 year plan, we dont need a huge discount, just the ability to get it done for a good amount of time.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
See what I'm finding odd is, Subaru is known for people keeping their cars for ever. So why wouldn't they at least offer 3 or 5 year plans after the first renewal comes up. Heck give me $5 off for going with a 3 year plan, we dont need a huge discount, just the ability to get it done for a good amount of time.
The Starlink program appears to me to be rather oddly organized. They must have their reasons but I have not come across anyone who understands what they are. It might be a legacy program that has never been reviewed for programmatic adjustments. I know owners and dealer sales are both frustrated.

·
Super Moderator
2,429 Posts

I hope this helps someone save some money. Many of us will be coming up on starlink renewal soon, depending which plan you chose initially.

Final update:
  • Auto renewal would charge the 1 year price every year, otherwise...
  • if you can afford it and have the time, you can save money by choosing a multi-year plan:
    • cancel current subscription just before renewal
      • you won't have access to starlink services after canceling
    • WAIT A DAY (even customer service doesn't seem to know the system won't let you cancel and re-subscribe in the same day)
    • Select a new plan at the pricing in my earlier post for the Safety Plus Plan then select optional services:
      • Security Plus is optional at $49.95/1yr, $74.95/2yr, $99.95/3yr, or $4.95/mo
        • Security Plus is for the same time period as the Safety Plus plan
      • Concierge service is optional at $49.95/1yr, $74.95/2yr, $99.95/3yr, or $4.95/mo
        • Concierge is for the same time period as Safety Plus and dependent on selecting Security Plus also
    • code STARLINK9 no longer works :cry:
  • BUT WAIT; THERES MORE!
    • credit card payment on the starlink site failed so I called customer service (again)
    • after verifying account information, they asked which plan I would like: Safety & Security Plus for 3 years
    • "ok, so that will be Safety & Security Plus for 3 years for $74.95. I'll be happy to set that up for you"
      • YES o_O
So, many lessons learned on my part. There are deals available if you talk to the right people at starlink!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just found this. Posters on this outback forum are saying it worked for them and some say it did not work for them.:unsure: try different browser if having problem using code.
Pro-tip. If you know you want to purchase multiple years, the promo code allowed me to make a second purchase which added another year of service to the year-long subscription.

"Worked for me, twice for 2- one-year extensions.

Code is STARLINK9

Also note it weirdly seemed case sensitive, so be sure to use capital letters. "

" Jan 21, 2020

I just used this code within the last 10 minutes and it worked fine. Paid $74.50 for first year, then did as original poster suggested and extended my subscription for another year at $74.50. So paid a total of $149 for two years. Thanks for posting this code!"

"Feb 16, 2020
Just renewed and upgraded to security plus using the promo code and it worked, got a 50% discount."

"Code still works 1/13/2021 "
I have tried this code but it didn’t work. Is there a trick to using the code?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts