Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not sure if this is an issue, or problem, or even unique to me but I did find it interesting. I just did a short video to confirm the same sequence of events produces the same results, but the video is washed out because it's nearly 9pm. You can follow these steps to replicate, if you want to share your results. Is this by design?

This isn't how I discovered this, but didn't want to bore you with the details. Anyway, here is the sequence:
  1. Park the Ascent and turn off the engine.
  2. Leave the keys (the ONLY set on or near you) in the door handle "cup" area near your left elbow while seated.
  3. Get out of the car and close the door.
  4. Try to lock the car with the handle "swipe".
    1. Car will long beep
    2. Car will display a message to remove the keys from the car
    3. Car will NOT lock (Which is by design)
  5. Open MySubaru app
  6. Use the Remote Start feature on the app to start the car while outside the car
    1. Car LOCKS all of the doors (with the keys inside)
    2. Car Starts
  7. Walk up to car and attempt to OPEN the door by inserting hand into the door handle cup ....
    1. Nothing happens
    2. Car remains running and locked
    3. Keys are inside
Yes, yes, I know. I can simply go back into the MySubaru app and "Unlock Doors", which is what I did and it worked fine. But, it made me begin to wonder if that behavior is by design. I wasn't able to lock the car with the keys inside using the "handle swipe" method, but the app not only allowed me to start the car, it preceded the engine start with locking the car ... with the keys still in it!

What if I didn't have a phone on me when I went to my car? What if my phone's battery had died? What if my wife used her phone to remote start the car for me, and then left in her minivan ... and I didn't have my phone on me ... or it was in the car? Oh, the scenarios!! :)

Which reminds me that I really need to set up the PIN-entry from the tailgate button. Haven't done it yet, but need to. But, would that even work while remote start was engaged? Questions, questions!

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Here's another one to try... MySubaru Lock function. I'd be curious how that works. While I am somewhat sure our FOBs are waterproof to a few meters, I cannot get confirmation - but I do know my phone is waterproof. It would be nice to know for beach trips.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,125 Posts
I think that your get-back-into the-car solution is to set the pin code for the tailgate unlock button.

I haven't set mine yet and don't know how well it works but keys intentionally left in the car is part of the explanation I read.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
Here's another one to try... MySubaru Lock function. I'd be curious how that works. While I am somewhat sure our FOBs are waterproof to a few meters, I cannot get confirmation - but I do know my phone is waterproof. It would be nice to know for beach trips.
I just tried this and it locks with the keys in the driver door cup holder as described by the OP. I wouldn't expect the remote Start or Lock functions to check for the presence of keys.

If you want to intentionally lock the fob inside, I'd pop out the valet key and take it along as a quicker solution than the pin code.

I'd also put the fob to sleep before leaving it inside, the Accent will be happier and you can use the outside touch pad to lock the doors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.