Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been answered, I didn't find a similar question.

I finally adjusted my bluetooth permissions to allow the Google Contacts to download to the Phone app. AFAIK, all of the contacts transferred although I didn't check extensively since there are at least 1000 contacts. The phone call history also downloaded.

Likewise, the text messages that were already in the Android Message app downloaded and were able to be read or voice played from the head unit. I asked my passenger to send a text to my phone while we took a ride. It came through on the phone but didn't come through on the head unit.

Should the head unit provide a notification of a new text? Should it be able to be played? Is there another head unit setting or Android setting I'm missing?

HU software is up to date. Android 8.1.0

Thanks.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Yes, it should give you a notification, unless some setting on the phone (eg: some driving mode setting) is blocking it. If Android Auto is started, bluetooth is handed to that, and native notifications stop. Also, each time, it needs to pair and download.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
...I finally adjusted my bluetooth permissions to allow the Google Contacts to download to the Phone app...
Probably a question for an Android forum, but my wife's Galaxy Note 8's contacts upload to the Ascent fine. With my S8, it tries and the Ascent says upload failed. I think I have all the permission set properly. Any permissions suggestions?

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probably a question for an Android forum, but my wife's Galaxy Note 8's contacts upload to the Ascent fine. With my S8, it tries and the Ascent says upload failed. I think I have all the permission set properly. Any permissions suggestions?
Mine started working after a few days. Must have been downloading the old texts and addresses for a while. Now I can see or hear the texts and get a notification when a new one shows up. I'm not text obsessed and will probably turn off the notifications, I just wanted to make sure it could work.

Android wouldn't let me screen shot the blutooth settings I'm using on Android 8.1 on Moto g5+. Open the Bluetooth screen on the phone, go to more settings, hit the gear icon for your Ascent's connection. Make sure all the boxes are checked. You might need to school to get all of them. I have checked in Phone Calls, Media Audio, Contact Sharing and Text Messaging. Scrolling the screen is what I was missing the first time I tried, the text check box was off the screen.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Thanks for the info. My screens look different than you describe but under the Subaru BT gear icon I found a toggle for Contact access which was off. It switched it on and the contacts downloaded successfully.

On the same menu, Calls was also off, but calls have been working fine so I left it off.

There's also a Car Multimedia device and its use for settings for Call and Audio are both off.

Somewhat puzzling but if it's working, I guess it's OK.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts