Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything on the app works but why is my AC on when I auto start? I don’t want it on since it’s the winter time. Any idea? I don’t select rear AC on the app. Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think in manual mode you can turn it off. I always run mine in winter though to suck moisture from the air.

·
Registered
89 Posts
So the app is poorly labeled. “Rear A/C” should say “rear climate control.” In other words, when it’s set to on, the rear climate control is on (be that heating or cooling). It’s all “auto,” front and rear. A/C turns on for front and rear if you set a cool temperature. Heat comes out front and rear if you set a high temp.

Separate from the app, I’ve noticed if you set the temp to 80° (for example) on auto, it turns the A/C on (front or rear). I don’t know why it runs A/C with heat. I just have to trust the computer is doing that for a reason ?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the app is poorly labeled. “Rear A/C” should say “rear climate control.” In other words, when it’s set to on, the rear climate control is on (be that heating or cooling). It’s all “auto,” front and rear. A/C turns on for front and rear if you set a cool temperature. Heat comes out front and rear if you set a high temp.

Separate from the app, I’ve noticed if you set the temp to 80° (for example) on auto, it turns the A/C on (front or rear). I don’t know why it runs A/C with heat. I just have to trust the computer is doing that for a reason ?
Yeah it frustrating cause it’s not toasty warm when I get in. Is their a number to call to figure it out?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yeah it frustrating cause it’s not toasty warm when I get in. Is their a number to call to figure it out?
How long are you letting it run before you get in? Do you set it to the highest temperature?

·
Registered
225 Posts
The AC light is on at various temps. It simply means that if AC is needed the car will cycle the AC. The light doesn't actually mean that the AC is running. In Full AUTO the light comes on to run the compressor as needed. There are certain instances when it will turn off.

It is not intuitive and tons of people ask this question. All in all the climate control determines when it needs AC and the light being on lets you know that AC is an option.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Right, the AC on just gives the computer to use the AC; it only will turn on or off as needed. If you're remote starting because it's cold, you won't be using the AC.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Everything on the app works but why is my AC on when I auto start? I don’t want it on since it’s the winter time. Any idea? I don’t select rear AC on the app. Thanks
Actually, it doesn't hurt if the AC is on during winter, anyway - and keep in mind that it will dry the air out in the car faster. Just because your AC is on does not mean it's blowing out cold air - you can have AC on and your temperature set for 75 - 80 and it's not a problem.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Actually, it doesn't hurt if the AC is on during winter, anyway - and keep in mind that it will dry the air out in the car faster. Just because your AC is on does not mean it's blowing out cold air - you can have AC on and your temperature set for 75 - 80 and it's not a problem.
Does having the A/C on with the heat "use up" the A/C at all? (I don't really know what I'm asking here, other than I know A/C refrigerant has to be replaced...)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’ll have to play around with it, I know it won’t be a sauna in there for only warming up for 10min. Just noticed the AC light is on. I usually set the temp around 75ish. I’ll try maxing out the heat to see what happens.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Same EXACT issue with my Ascent Touring. I have used the Starlink app at least 5-6 times to remote start & pre-heat the car before going out and every time the AC light is on. I selected 75 degrees, both seat heaters on and airflow to face and feet with fan full on. Everything is correct when I get in the car except A/C being on. I think it’s a bug.....

·
Registered
97 Posts
Same EXACT issue with my Ascent Touring. I have used the Starlink app at least 5-6 times to remote start & pre-heat the car before going out and every time the AC light is on. I selected 75 degrees, both seat heaters on and airflow to face and feet with fan full on. Everything is correct when I get in the car except A/C being on. I think it’s a bug.....

Same. I experience the same. The A/C is always on so I end up having to just manually turn it off when I get into the car.

Anyone know if this is being worked on by Subaru?

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Nothing wrong...

Same. I experience the same. The A/C is always on so I end up having to just manually turn it off when I get into the car.

Alas, there's nothing to work on. The AC turns on depending on temperature and other factors to defog the car and remove condensation. This has been the norm in many cars for a few decades, though some of them don't light the AC light when doing so.

This is near identical to how a dehumidifier works.

"Room dehumidifiers work much like air conditioners; warmer, moist air enters the dehumidifier and then crosses refrigerant cooled coils, causing the moisture in the air to condense on coils within the machine."

You're warming up the car, creating "warmer" air. It's moist because of the overnight condensation and changes in dew point and temperature.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Not a bug, A/C is on by design. It’s discussed here, too:
https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/145-features-user-interface/5317-c-auto-heater.html

" Even when cooling is not necessary, the air conditioner compressor will automatically turn on if the temperature is set much lower than the current outlet air temperature. Even in this case, the “A/C” indicator light on the control panel illuminates. " Page 274 of the owners manual for those interested.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts