Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From a potential Ascent purchaser to all of you ascent owners:

How do you like the Starlink App and performance of it? I'm mostly curious about the remote start from the app and locking/unlocking features.

I'm comparing between an Atlas and the Ascent and both, naturally, have horrible reviews in the app store but we all know how to take those sometimes. They mention lag in the requests working, if at all, and such.

I know the Atlas doesn't have a remote start option from the app, so it's already behind in that sense, anyway.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Use the MySubaru app - newest versions seem to work well.

From a potential Ascent purchaser to all of you ascent owners:

How do you like the Starlink App and performance of it? I'm mostly curious about the remote start from the app and locking/unlocking features.

I'm comparing between an Atlas and the Ascent and both, naturally, have horrible reviews in the app store but we all know how to take those sometimes. They mention lag in the requests working, if at all, and such.

I know the Atlas doesn't have a remote start option from the app, so it's already behind in that sense, anyway.
Starlink app isn't for those capabilities, even though one would think it is. It's not necessary unless you want to use your smartphone but not use Android Auto/Carplay.

The MySubaru app (and website) can control the car. Both versions work very well, but require a few steps (for security reasons) to accomplish any vehicle control.

The MySubaru app went through a decent amount of changes for the Ascent's functionality, and doesn't seem to suffer from the issues in the reviews from earlier versions.

Personally, I had the FOB based remote start installed because it's simpler and most often meets my needs. I'd say my remote starting has been 85/15 FOB vs MySubaru app/website.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Most of the bad reviews are for the older versions, which honestly, were pretty bad. I've had all but a couple of my Ascent customers upgrade to at least the 3 year with remote start option and its been flawless through the registration and initial testing every time. For the people that use it every day its a nice bonus. For those that never use it, you'll be fine without it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I really like the MySubaru app on Android, works great. The security stuff Robert mentioned is the only minor annoyance, but makes sense. I think they could still allow you to not click login if you store credentials and rely on the phone security, but other than that it is very smooth and intuitive. I could make suggestions to make it even better, but nothing to complain about.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
For the people that use it every day its a nice bonus. For those that never use it, you'll be fine without it.
I just want to touch upon this... even if one doesn't use it for remote start/cooling/heating control, it's a nice app to use to check the status of your vehicle very easily, to look up local events and more.

So, everyone, keep in mind, it's more than just a remote start app.

You'll find the same features on the web version as well as a few more.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Is there any way to use the remote start via mysubaru app, without setting a temperature? Sometimes i just want to start the car. ?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Save your money. The app is a joke. Takes 5 steps to start your vehicle. There’s another thread about this and most people have come to the same conclusion. It’s neat but not practical. Putting remote start on the fob would of been ideal.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Save your money. The app is a joke. Takes 5 steps to start your vehicle. There’s another thread about this and most people have come to the same conclusion. It’s neat but not practical. Putting remote start on the fob would of been ideal.
To each his/her own. I personally like that I can remote start and control the temperature before I go in the car, especially as I have a newborn. I look forward to turning on my seat warmers via the app in the winter as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've tested out the app twice in my 6 days of ownership and both times it was easy to use and started the car within seconds. I second the statement on being able to turn on the seat warmers in the winter. Nothing like walking in 20 degree weather and climbing into a nice toasty seat. Ahhh...

Reactions: imalittle1

·
Registered
646 Posts
The app is fine, just tedious to have to click 10 times before you can start your car. Should be a quick start option with fingerprint.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I think a widget that just prompts you for your PIN would be a nice addition. If the app was laggy it would be worst, but for me it is smooth and never pauses/waits, so that is a huge plus.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
It's annoying but not as annoying as another massive key fob for sure.
I never use the MegaFob. Remote start works great at most reasonable distances with the regular fob on the pushbutton cars.

For those without pushbutton start, yeah, they need the other fob... but it's not massive with a jutting out antenna like some of the previous versions. It's almost the same size as the regular keyless fob.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I never use the MegaFob. Remote start works great at most reasonable distances with the regular fob on the pushbutton cars.

For those without pushbutton start, yeah, they need the other fob... but it's not massive with a jutting out antenna like some of the previous versions. It's almost the same size as the regular keyless fob.
So is there a trick to use the standard fob or do you still have to have the remote start module for it to work on the small fob too? We were lead to believe we would have to carry both fobs to be able to remote start without the app so we just went with the app.

·
Registered
225 Posts
My Subaru is for starting, unlocking, locating, vehicle status. Yes there are a few menus you need to go through to start the car. It really is not that bad. I run the Android version and it works just fine. To start your car you have to login (you can save your password), click remote services, set your options, engine start, type in pin. A few steps for sure.

The Starlink app is used with your phone to allow additional apps to run through the infotainment system such as yelp. In my experience the app is clunky, and slow. It freezes a lot when connected to the car. It runs just fine when disconnected from the car.

The app is developed poorly on Android. The app doesn't close itself and runs as a service in the background. Even if you close the application, the service continues to run and drain your battery. I have to force stop the application in the app services screen since it doesn't close just by closing the application. This is an oversight, but a sign of poor development.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
FOB Based Remote Start...

So is there a trick to use the standard fob or do you still have to have the remote start module for it to work on the small fob too? We were lead to believe we would have to carry both fobs to be able to remote start without the app so we just went with the app.
All FOB based starting require the Remote start option to be installed, which includes the remote engine start control module necessary for FOB based start. The unit is not necessary for MySubaru app ("Starlink") remote smartphone starting.

There's more details here, including exactly which accessory your dealer needs to order and install for which trim levels/vehicle packages:

https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/123-accessories-add-ons/1785-remote-start-option-6.html#post28485

·
Registered
9 Posts
Could one of you kind Ascent owners with the MySubaru app / Starlink please describe the exact sequence of events required to remotely start the vehicle, beginning just after you get your smartphone in your hands? My wife is considering purchasing an Ascent, and has an extreme dislike of technology that she perceives as poorly designed, e.g., requiring far too many steps to accomplish a task. Thanks in advance!

Altazi

1 - 20 of 45 Posts