Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some time to dink with my new Ascent and was trying out Starlink. One of it's apps is Magellan. I clicked on it and as I thought, it's a Nav system. How is this getting it's maps and data? How is it tracking my driving? I'm going to assume the tracking is a built in GPS radio that all Ascent's have in them, but the maps? I want to mention I signed up for the 3 year, $75 Starlink product on the advice of my salesman, but didn't understand what all it does for me. Hoping a discussion on Starlink will get me going faster on this and other apps it has.

BTW, I use Android Auto for navigation via Google Maps app. Is Magellan through Starlink better? I like just saying, "Hey Google" to get my navigation up and running through Android Auto. I realize it's using my cell phone for data, but my phone seems to be downloading maps for the areas I drive around instead of always using the cloud for that.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I got some time to dink with my new Ascent and was trying out Starlink. One of it's apps is Magellan. I clicked on it and as I thought, it's a Nav system. How is this getting it's maps and data? How is it tracking my driving? I'm going to assume the tracking is a built in GPS radio that all Ascent's have in them, but the maps? I want to mention I signed up for the 3 year, $75 Starlink product on the advice of my salesman, but didn't understand what all it does for me. Hoping a discussion on Starlink will get me going faster on this and other apps it has.

BTW, I use Android Auto for navigation via Google Maps app. Is Magellan through Starlink better? I like just saying, "Hey Google" to get my navigation up and running through Android Auto. I realize it's using my cell phone for data, but my phone seems to be downloading maps for the areas I drive around instead of always using the cloud for that.
Good question. I signed up for it also and totally forgot about it. Have not touched it since the first time I tried it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One thing I did discover was the Starlink app must be up and running on my cell phone and my cell phone must be bluetooth paired with the car or the Starlink won't work from the car. I get a message on the car's screen telling me to go back and do that first.

Second question about Starlink. Is is voice controllable like Google Maps is and if so what are the commands? Google I just say 'hey google'.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
You don't need the Starlink app for anything. I uninstalled it entirely from my phone.

Which Starlink subscription did you get? I will explain what it's for and enables.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which Starlink subscription did you get? I will explain what it's for and enables.
I'm not sure. It is 3 years, $75 if that helps. I was told it was the safety feature that I should get it. What safety feature is that anyways?

When I picked up my car, I was shown the car's features with a techy guy who said to play with stuff, make a list of questions and call back to make an appointment to go over those things. If I called and kept an appointment, I'd get a $50 gasoline debit card for my efforts.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I'm not sure. It is 3 years, $75 if that helps. I was told it was the safety feature that I should get it. What safety feature is that anyways?

When I picked up my car, I was shown the car's features with a techy guy who said to play with stuff, make a list of questions and call back to make an appointment to go over those things. If I called and kept an appointment, I'd get a $50 gasoline debit card for my efforts.
Hope you followup on that appointment. Ask them every question you can think of and have them help you set various features - Pin Code, Door Locks (I have mine that when I touch driver's door, that's the only one that unlocks, reminders on the screen above the radio (oil changes, anniversary, etc.). I had to do mine session within 2- 8 weeks of taking possession.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts

The 3 year $75 plan is the second tier Security Plus that I also have and I think it's a good value. I have a Limited with Nav and push button start and frequently use these features.

It's confusing that this has the same name as the Starlink app which I, like Robert deleted because I didn't see any value. I guess I didn't notice that it has a nav app

Google Maps has the option to download regions so you don't always use your cell data, I did that before I got the Accent.

Here is a page from your Starlink manual that has a summary of the plans:

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
270 Posts
Nice

Nice. I only got a $25 card. But then, I happened to be at the dealer to have some weather stripping replaced when I got the email about coming in for the follow-up. I just chatted with him then and there, and he gave me the card. After signing the paper that confirms to Subaru that he'd performed his duties, of course.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
I've heard that some dealers give out $50 cards after your Encore visit but mine was $25.

My visit wasn't a big help for me because I'd read the manuals a couple of times and had everything set up the way I wanted it including the wifi hot spot before I went back. The lady I met with was surprised, I can see why since there is a lot of custom configuration stuff to figure out, she didn't agree with all of my choices but we had a nice conversation and I got the gas card.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Yes, the amount varies depending on region, program, participation and any additional contribution from the dealership.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I got a $25 gas card. I had a few questions she couldn't answer right off the bat but she texted me about a hour later with the answers.

What she said was that except for GPS location, everything else is via cell. No cell coverage, no SOS or anything else, which could be problematic in the mountains or boonies.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,828 Posts
The three year, $75 subscription gets you access to remote start, etc. (I went for 7 years rather than three, personally)

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,828 Posts
My local dealer issued an invite like that, but my sales person already went over everything...and I do mean everything...as she always does with her customers.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
^^^ uh, yeah. But it takes awhile to get experience trying to use the systems before you even know what to ask or have a framework you can organize the info into. It took more than a once-through at pickup, at least for me. I think that's the point of the follow up. Subaru wants you to gain appreciation for the awesomeness you bought, and help strengthen the relationship with the dealer. It's also another opportunity for them to sell service plans, extended warranties, etc.....

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
618 Posts
I'm confused. My sales person went through all this at pickup, and the post purchase survey even asked if they did all that. Never seen said document above.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I'm confused. My sales person went through all this at pickup, and the post purchase survey even asked if they did all that. Never seen said document above.
It's purpose is that you "don't know, what you don't know" when taking possession. There are a lot of gems not covered while taking possession. For example (assuming - push to start), have you programed in a Pin Code on the rear gate? Have you programed in service reminders on the Infotainment center?". Have you selected the 8 states for your Region on the navigation? Do you know how to check and see if you have the latest Infotainment System update? What about time delay or off on the Approach Lights, etc. What doors do you want to automatically open when you touch the door handles (driver and/or passenger handles each get programed These are just a few of the things that came up on my follow-up (Encore) Appointment.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts