Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the Outback the larger engined 3.6 vehicles were equipped with the first generation "high torque" CVT. The 4 bangers all received the standard second generation CVT.

There were about 20 design differences between the transmissions but there was enough doubt at Subaru over the second generation CVT to be able to handle high torque that they specified the older, beefier transmission.

Now that the Ascent will be with a 2.5 liter 4 banger turbo the torque numbers are even higher than the Outback 3.6.

Will the Ascent be equipped with the stronger high torque CVT or the newer, lighter standard CVT?

Lots of engine torque in a car that weights 30-40% more and is also now expected to be able to pull a 5000 pound trailer; if its the lighter transmission this might be begging for trouble.

Maybe someone who has a dealer-manufacturer connection can ask that question

·
Administrator
7,818 Posts
In the Outback the larger engined 3.6 vehicles were equipped with the first generation "high torque" CVT. The 4 bangers all received the standard second generation CVT.

There were about 20 design differences between the transmissions but there was enough doubt at Subaru over the second generation CVT to be able to handle high torque that they specified the older, beefier transmission.

Now that the Ascent will be with a 2.5 liter 4 banger turbo the torque numbers are even higher than the Outback 3.6.

Will the Ascent be equipped with the stronger high torque CVT or the newer, lighter standard CVT?

Lots of engine torque in a car that weights 30-40% more and is also now expected to be able to pull a 5000 pound trailer; if its the lighter transmission this might be begging for trouble.

Maybe someone who has a dealer-manufacturer connection can ask that question

The Ascent will be powered by a 2.4 liter FA24 series DI turbo (dual scroll, but not dual turbos), and mated to a new high torque CVT. That comes directly from SoA Ascent Product Managers, the Subaru VP of Product, and a few internal sources I talk to. Joe at Cars101 has updated the Ascent page to end any confusion for those who read into what he said.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I feel like we just went over this the other day in another thread???

We have had a few Subaru's with CVT transmissions, I beat the heck out of my 11 outback towing and hauling way more than that car should have and never had a hiccup in the 90k miles I put on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts