Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
For those of you who stream Spotify via Android Auto ...
What volume do you normally have the head unit at, if you're driving with the windows slightly open?

I'll admit that I like my music on the louder side... but if I'm driving on a nice day with the windows partly down... I have to have my head unit at a volume of about 22 or 23. That seems excessive to me.

I'm pretty sure there's no way to affect the volume from my phone itself... and I haven't seen anything in the head unit setup that discusses "input volume".

Am I missing something? Is it just me? Or is this a problem for others too?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
7,143 Posts
Hey everyone,
For those of you who stream Spotify via Android Auto ...
What volume do you normally have the head unit at, if you're driving with the windows slightly open?

I'll admit that I like my music on the louder side... but if I'm driving on a nice day with the windows partly down... I have to have my head unit at a volume of about 22 or 23. That seems excessive to me.

I'm pretty sure there's no way to affect the volume from my phone itself... and I haven't seen anything in the head unit setup that discusses "input volume".

Am I missing something? Is it just me? Or is this a problem for others too?

Thanks.
Some apps do not properly respond to Android Auto volume commands and use their own stream via the phone's mixer volumes. For instance, PowerAmp (which is otherwise amazing) does this.

To rectify it, unlock the phone, and adjust the volume from the phone. I adjust to a click below max, and then use the head unit volume controls.

In some apps, you can have them set default sound levels based on connected device, in which case, you can have the app turn up the volume for when it's connected to the car. I don't use Spotify, so, I do not know if it has that capability.

Similarly, some apps also have custom EQ settings that are also based on what the phone is connected to. If Spotify (or any of your Android Auto apps) has that capability, I strongly recommend using it to get better sound, by either disabling the app's EQ and processing functions, or finding settings that work synergistically with the head unit.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some apps do not properly respond to Android Auto volume commands and use their own stream via the phone's mixer volumes. For instance, PowerAmp (which is otherwise amazing) does this.

To rectify it, unlock the phone, and adjust the volume from the phone. I adjust to a click below max, and then use the head unit volume controls.

In some apps, you can have them set default sound levels based on connected device, in which case, you can have the app turn up the volume for when it's connected to the car. I don't use Spotify, so, I do not know if it has that capability.

Similarly, some apps also have custom EQ settings that are also based on what the phone is connected to. If Spotify (or any of your Android Auto apps) has that capability, I strongly recommend using it to get better sound, by either disabling the app's EQ and processing functions, or finding settings that work synergistically with the head unit.
This is all a no-go. I tried adjusting the volume on my phone before plugging it in... no difference. Then I tried adjusting it AFTER plugging it in... also no difference. The headunit has complete control over the volume.

Does nobody else seriously stream audio via AA to their Ascent? I'm sure all apps within AA work the same... this shouldn't be just a Spotify issue.

·
Super Moderator
7,143 Posts
This is all a no-go. I tried adjusting the volume on my phone before plugging it in... no difference. Then I tried adjusting it AFTER plugging it in... also no difference. The headunit has complete control over the volume.

Does nobody else seriously stream audio via AA to their Ascent? I'm sure all apps within AA work the same... this shouldn't be just a Spotify issue.
Expand the volume control on your phone while it's plugged in and Spotify is running, and look for one that's set low. Hit volume up or volume down, and then click the little arrow to expand it.

For instance, PowerAmp doesn't respond properly to the head unit, so, even with the head unit at near max, media volume is in the middle. I have to crank that up every time I start it for the first time each trip.

I don't have to when using Google Play Music.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Expand the volume control on your phone while it's plugged in and Spotify is running, and look for one that's set low. Hit volume up or volume down, and then click the little arrow to expand it.
None of those volume controls have any effect on AA volume.

I changed them all to min volume while unplugged, then plugged my phone in. No difference.
I changed them all to max volume while unplugged, then plugged my phone in. No difference.
I changed them all to min volume while the phone was plugged in. This made the music stop, but when I hit "Play".. no difference.
I changed them all to max volume while the phone was plugged in. This made the music stop, but when I hit "Play".. no difference.

I understand that you are comparing to how Poweramp works, but Poweramp is unique in how volume controls work. It is different from how the streaming services seem to work.

·
Super Moderator
7,143 Posts
None of those volume controls have any effect on AA volume.

I changed them all to min volume while unplugged, then plugged my phone in. No difference.
I changed them all to max volume while unplugged, then plugged my phone in. No difference.
I changed them all to min volume while the phone was plugged in. This made the music stop, but when I hit "Play".. no difference.
I changed them all to max volume while the phone was plugged in. This made the music stop, but when I hit "Play".. no difference.

I understand that you are comparing to how Poweramp works, but Poweramp is unique in how volume controls work. It is different from how the streaming services seem to work.
It's not a streaming service thing. Amazon acted like Poweramp back in the early days. I deleted Amazon Music, but I understand they've fixed it. But, I installed Spotify and will dig through all the settings and such and see if I can find anything that may help you.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not a streaming service thing. Amazon acted like Poweramp back in the early days. I deleted Amazon Music, but I understand they've fixed it. But, I installed Spotify and will dig through all the settings and such and see if I can find anything that may help you.
I'm really shocked that nobody else in the community is a subscriber.

FWIW, I'd be curious to hear what volume you play SiriusXM at, vs what volume you would stream Spotify or some other service at.... both when compared at highway speeds with the windows partway down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts