Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having an "issue" where I'm driving along, singing along then suddenly the speaker on the driver's side fades off. Then after some time comes back on. Anyone else?

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
If a front speaker or various speakers fades on and off like that, my first thoughts would be:

1. You have Android Auto or Carplay running
    OR
  2. You are using the built in Nav System
    OR
  3. There's a bluetooth notification from your connected phone.
(or a combination of two or more of those)

When either of them decides to send a notification/speak/etc, the system lowers the volume. When either of them actually don't say anything, or do so with their volume off, the speaker volumes remain low until they're done.

So, as a poor "for instance", if I have Navigation running, but navigation volume turned all the way down, when Google tries telling me "take a left at Exit 93", the volume will drop like you both are describing, for any music I am playing (regardless of source), but, no Google voice will come out (because it's at zero). After however long it takes for Google to finish talking, plus a tiny bit, the volume will fade back up.

In your settings, under "Sound", you will find the relevant default volume levels for each and every type of sound input/event (eg: music, bluetooth, navigation). Check and see which is set to zero, and then turn it up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If a front speaker or various speakers fades on and off like that, my first thoughts would be:

1. You have Android Auto or Carplay running
    OR
  2. You are using the built in Nav System
    OR
  3. There's a bluetooth notification from your connected phone.
(or a combination of two or more of those)

When either of them decides to send a notification/speak/etc, the system lowers the volume. When either of them actually don't say anything, or do so with their volume off, the speaker volumes remain low until they're done.

So, as a poor "for instance", if I have Navigation running, but navigation volume turned all the way down, when Google tries telling me "take a left at Exit 93", the volume will drop like you both are describing, for any music I am playing (regardless of source), but, no Google voice will come out (because it's at zero). After however long it takes for Google to finish talking, plus a tiny bit, the volume will fade back up.

In your settings, under "Sound", you will find the relevant default volume levels for each and every type of sound input/event (eg: music, bluetooth, navigation). Check and see which is set to zero, and then turn it up.
Robert - None of those conditions apply to my case.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Actually paying close attention today as I was driving what seems to happen is that the the speakers on the doors shut off and sounds comes only from the center speaker above the screen display.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Actually paying close attention today as I was driving what seems to happen is that the the speakers on the doors shut off and sounds comes only from the center speaker above the screen display.
Is there anything hooked up to it at all? That really sounds like built in navigation or notification, or a phone trying to do something.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Is there anything hooked up to it at all? That really sounds like built in navigation or notification, or a phone trying to do something.
No, nothing was hooked up to it. I don't know why the built in navigation (which wasn't being used) would try to do anything. This REALLY sounds like a Subaru software bug. A user shouldn't have to turn everything off in order to keep the sound level.

·
Registered
205 Posts
No, nothing was hooked up to it. I don't know why the built in navigation (which wasn't being used) would try to do anything. This REALLY sounds like a Subaru software bug. A user shouldn't have to turn everything off in order to keep the sound level.
I agree it’s a messed up “bug” and I know what your talking about. Try having music when it does this. All the speakers kick off and you just get a cranked up volume tweeter basically.

I have hopes ios13 axes it as I don’t think it’s Subaru.

·
Super Moderator
2,463 Posts
I have hopes ios13 axes it as I don’t think it’s Subaru.
iOS 13 does include a major CarPlay update; however, I've never seen anything like that happen on iOS 12 myself. That leads me to believe there's another unidentified factor involved. It doesnt sound like the exact same thing because the center speaker fades also, but when my phone is plugged in and the ringer isn't set to vibrate it will fade the speakers for any notification. I've had that happen a few times and it throws me off each time because my phone is almost always set to vibrate. I can't recall if the same happens on bluetooth since I'm almost always on CarPlay.
If anyone who's had this happen can post what phone they're using (Apple, Samsung, Pixel, etc...), whether its paired via Bluetooth or plugged into USB, and whether or not they have factory navigation it may help narrow the possibilities.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Guys forget iOS. I'm not plugging in my phone and still get this behavior. It's a bug with Subaru entertainment system. Even in the scenario that the phone needs to send a notification, the receiver is supposed to handle those signals according to the user's configuration.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Guys forget iOS. I'm not plugging in my phone and still get this behavior. It's a bug with Subaru entertainment system.
What firmware version is your head unit? As mentioned above, it probably needs updating. Various sound issues were fixed in the update.

Even in the scenario that the phone needs to send a notification, the receiver is supposed to handle those signals according to the user's configuration.
Not entirely. Both Android Auto and Carplay have had bugs in numerous releases where they no longer let go of one of their dedicated audio channels (usually navigation audio), in which case, the head unit never restores volume and never restores control to the user.

Considering there's many many releases for AA, it's not often noticed.

But yes, those are two separate issues.

Interestingly, the issue you are talking about manifests due to either, hence the confusion.

·
Registered
205 Posts
My new 2020 doesn't do the turn everything off but crank up the tweeters crap like the old car did. Not sure what the difference is but when I get a notification the volumes stay the same across the board. Its so nice...

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
My new 2020 doesn't do the turn everything off but crank up the tweeters crap like the old car did. Not sure what the difference is but when I get a notification the volumes stay the same across the board. Its so nice...
That was a software bug. It was fixed midway through the 2019 model year, and there was an update that resolved it for those affected.

So, the 2020 Gen 3 units already have the fix.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
I guess they never fixed it on gen 1. :/
There is no Gen 1 Harman Kardon. It's Gen 3 and Gen 3.1, and it was fixed in December.

Gen 2.x are Fujitsu TEN units. 2019+ are Gen 3.x, and made by Harman Kardon.

·
Registered
205 Posts
There is no Gen 1 Harman Kardon. It's Gen 3 and Gen 3.1, and it was fixed in December.

Gen 2.x are Fujitsu TEN units. 2019+ are Gen 3.x, and made by Harman Kardon.
My 2018 unit was made by HK. It was replaced under warranty and I saw it in my hand when we were searching for who made it to get the right replacement sent.

As for the older ones I was told there was actually 3 suppliers.

On a side note. The upper screen when showing what song is playing on the 19s. Does it show the right album name but the artist and song don’t update? I have to wonder if this is a issue only on the 20s. It does have old maps but the map site won’t let me in with my vin yet.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Yes, because of when each generation rolls out, 2017 and 2018 are when the HK units first started hitting Subaru's. And, yeah, before Fujitsu TEN there was someone else.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry for the late reply. Something else came up and I was searching the forum for answers.

I don't use CarPlay and when I'm driving to my mom's in Queens, I don't need navigation. BUT my iphone is in the car, so i will take notice if the music begins to fade if my phone is getting notifications. Thanks Robert!

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. Something else came up and I was searching the forum for answers.

I don't use CarPlay and when I'm driving to my mom's in Queens, I don't need navigation. BUT my iphone is in the car, so i will take notice if the music begins to fade if my phone is getting notifications. Thanks Robert!
Please keep me posted. I know Android has that issue. It would be good to know if an iPhone doesn't or does too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.