Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
8,310 Posts
Threads on the old plug look rusty?
That's heat. Normal. They're actually an exact representation of what the service manual says is perfect.

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Interesting. I understand it on the sparky side facing the combustion chamber, but the threads are what stuck out to me. When tightly sealed I wouldn’t think they’d change color that much. In comparison I pulled plugs from my 98 Bimmer with 231k mi on it and the end looked a little more grey but the threads were clean. No idea how many miles are on those plugs.

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So, I did one plug today. I don't think they looked horrible for 59,319 miles.

They're not easy to change...
So what you’re saying is the majority of us will be taking it to the shop to change the spark plugs? 😂 (myself included)

·
Administrator
8,310 Posts
So what you’re saying is the majority of us will be taking it to the shop to change the spark plugs? 😂 (myself included)
Yep. I am debating doing the rest of mine, or letting someone else. I don't have any of my real tools anymore.

·
Administrator
8,310 Posts
Interesting. I understand it on the sparky side facing the combustion chamber, but the threads are what stuck out to me. When tightly sealed I wouldn’t think they’d change color that much. In comparison I pulled plugs from my 98 Bimmer with 231k mi on it and the end looked a little more grey but the threads were clean. No idea how many miles are on those plugs.
The heat makes them change color down the plug. I'm also not sure how much of the plug sticks into the top of the chamber, but, as you can tell, there's a LOT of threading on it. Mine matches 2(1) Normal - which of course makes me happy, especially after the abuse they've went through, including judicious use of @COBB Tuning's 93 tune. ;)

·
Administrator
8,310 Posts
I haven't yet. I'm having a shop do it. I don't have the necessary tools to lift the engine.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts