Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking ahead...

For the few of us who are up there in mileage (@Robert.Mauro), spark plugs are due for replacement at 60k miles. So, do you plan on doing it yourself or taking it in?

For the DIYers, how difficult is it to accomplish on this engine? I've only ever worked on V-6/8's, I-4/6's which all have plugs that are much easier to reach. My dealer lists the service as $298 on a 4cyl turbo so I'd be willing to turn some wrenches to save a good portion of that when the time comes, if practical.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Should be much easier on the Ascent with it’s wider body. All depends how close the frame rails are... I honestly haven’t looked. You can save a LOT of money self-wrenching and sourcing the OEM NGKs yourself.
I’ve done plug swaps on probably 12 different n/a and turbo Subaru’s of various types.

·
Registered
461 Posts
If it's anything like the older Subaru models, it can be challenging the first few times you attempt it due to the tight spaces. However, it'll seem very easy once you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I was pondering about the spark plug changes as well even though I'm very far away from needing to pull them and this is my first boxer type engine. The passenger side looks like it has some space to work with. However, the driver side is shrouded from on top so I can't readily see the plugs on that side. In some past Subaru Youtube videos, I've seen owners using a floor jack and jacking up the side of motor to raise it at a tilt to get to the plugs. Is this the route a DIYer would need to take or is there a better technique for those who have done it before?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Yep, totally vehicle-specific. Having good tools with proper length extensions etc is step 1. If that isn’t enough, I’ve had shift the motor slightly to assist. Each model is slightly different. Still need to look at this on the Ascent - I’d be able to tell pretty immediately how bad/easy it’s going to be.

·
Administrator
8,242 Posts
A thin walled socket and the proper length wrench extension makes it pretty easy.

I haven't decided what I'm doing yet, or when.

The Ascent cab out in the wild has had one plug change in 122000 miles.

·
Administrator
8,242 Posts
looking ahead...

For the few of us who are up there in mileage (@Robert.Mauro), spark plugs are due for replacement at 60k miles. So, do you plan on doing it yourself or taking it in?

For the DIYers, how difficult is it to accomplish on this engine? I've only ever worked on V-6/8's, I-4/6's which all have plugs that are much easier to reach. My dealer lists the service as $298 on a 4cyl turbo so I'd be willing to turn some wrenches to save a good portion of that when the time comes, if practical.
I just picked up my spark plugs yesterday, and am installing them this weekend if weather permits.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
A thin walled socket and the proper length wrench extension makes it pretty easy.

I haven't decided what I'm doing yet, or when.

The Ascent cab out in the wild has had one plug change in 122000 miles.
I think we should all line up outside Roberts house for him to complete our spark plug change. Then drive to the beach (6' apart of course).

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,387 Posts
I'm sure Robert's neighbors will be fully on board with that... LOL

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Super Moderator
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Robert.Mauro looking forward to hearing about how it goes!
The number of cases of new miles on my Ascent is peaking already. I put 20k on her in the first year, and i'll end up around 11-12k the 2nd year. There could be a resurgence as summer arrives though! I really thought I'd be reaching some key maintenance milestones much sooner

·
Registered
12 Posts
Add me to the list of those closely following this thread. On my 2012 outback, raising the motor was not necessary. Swivels and a lifetime complement of different lengths extensions were, though. Looking forward to a report.

·
Administrator
8,242 Posts
Robert's neighbors do not know him. He is rarely home... off on another adventure! They just know his dirty Ascent that parks in the neighborhood.
LMAO. You are so close to the truth. I live on a small dead end. A couple years ago, I walked down the street and back (gotta get my steps in, to still horribly lose to my mom who's in her 70s... but that's a different tale). The lady at the end of the block (five houses away) tries to take me to task for being on the dead end when I don't live on the dead end. I essentially politely welcomed her to the neighborhood and let her know she was the newcomer on my block, that I moved into in 1973.

I had a conversation just a few days ago with my next door neighbor, (who at least does know I've been here for ages lol) and he asked how I liked my Ascent. I told him what I thought, including about my many off roading adventures, which surprised him. "Oh, wow, really?"

I am very proud of myself for no saying:
"No, I just randomly come out and throw mud all over my car. I like that look." 😂😂😂

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,387 Posts

·
Administrator
8,242 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
I do like the mud look. When my Ascent was getting the fuel pump recall and new door seals I went exploring over the weekend in the loaner Ascent. It was a bit muddy when I returned it. Not sure if the dealer liked the look though...

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I do like the mud look. When my Ascent was getting the fuel pump recall and new door seals I went exploring over the weekend in the loaner Ascent. It was a bit muddy when I returned it. Not sure if the dealer liked the look though...
It is a matter of perspective. Some potential buyers (the more adventurist type) will look at the muddy vehicle and imagine themselves having a great time, followed by; sell me one of those please.

·
Administrator
8,242 Posts
So, I did one plug today. I don't think they looked horrible for 59,319 miles.

They're not easy to change. Monday (once more tools come in - I no longer have my full tool sets, engine stands, transmission dollies, lift braces, etc), I will do the other three. To change them will require removing some air ducting, the battery, moving some cables, disconnecting the engine mounts, and slighting lifting and tilting the engine (just a couple inches) so that the tools and the plug and ignition coil can clear the front frame rails.

Old plug on the left, obviously. New plug on the right. Plugs are NGK (old and new).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts