Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain how this device works?

The manual states that the cable should be tightened until a few clicks are heard. When I tightened until I heard the clicks, I felt the tension release in the wheel nut wrench.

Does the clicking sound indicate that the cable is locked into place, or is just a mechanism to avoid overtightening? The release of the tension reminded me of a torque wrench mechanism...

·
Registered
685 Posts
Can someone explain how this device works?

The manual states that the cable should be tightened until a few clicks are heard. When I tightened until I heard the clicks, I felt the tension release in the wheel nut wrench.

Does the clicking sound indicate that the cable is locked into place, or is just a mechanism to avoid overtightening? The release of the tension reminded me of a torque wrench mechanism...
I would expect that it is a ratchet/detent type of mechanism. The cable will have some stretch itself, so I would bet it is designed to ratchet a few clicks so when the cable is relaxed, it's still tight. I would bet you need to make sure the tire is centered and seated properly or you don't get the right tension.

I am also only speculating based on experience with other vehicles employing similar systems

1 - 2 of 2 Posts