Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So downsizing my 20's to 18's on my Limited finally, since I'm just about to hit 16k miles and stock tires wont make it through another winter season, looking at going with Falken Wildpeak A/T, 255 /55 R18 with KMC 708's. Will the current donut spare tire fit with the setup should I need to use the donut? Or do I need to look at another option for the spare? I tried looking on the sticky thread with all the rims and tire combos people have used, for what I'm after, and on the FB groups, but couldn't find a definite answer.

We are taking a huge road trip from WA to WI in October so I won't be buying tires for several months still, but I like figuring things out way ahead of time so costs can be factored in. Stock rims & tires willl probably get switched in for another summer season at least since they still have a bit of life left. Then haven't quite figured out what I'm going to do with them.

·
Registered
500 Posts
255/55 R18 will rub, without a lift, according to lpaventure. Call them to confirm.

That aside, running the non-stock size will require a different spare tire option if you go that route. You will put greater wear on the driveline components because the diameters are different. I downsized to the 245/60R18 Continental Terrain Contacts, myself and love them for the WA weather we get.

Where in WA are located? If you are close you can stop by and see.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
255/55 R18 will rub, without a lift, according to lpaventure. Call them to confirm.

That aside, running the non-stock size will require a different spare tire option if you go that route. You will put greater wear on the driveline components because the diameters are different. I downsized to the 245/60R18 Continental Terrain Contacts, myself and love them for the WA weather we get.

Where in WA are located? If you are close you can stop by and see.
And this is why I ask questions!! 😂 Definitely don't plan on doing a lift so that size won't work. Having big dogs overrules needing more clearance.

I was just going off of Discount Tire's suggestions for other sizes in the 18's range. Guess I'll have to double check the options for those then. My work schedule doesn't play too friendly with being able to call places during the day.

And I'm pretty much in the middle between Seattle and Spokane. 4.5 hrs to East coast and 3hrs to the other side.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
243 Posts
And this is why I ask questions!! 😂 Definitely don't plan on doing a lift so that size won't work. Having big dogs overrules needing more clearance.

I was just going off of Discount Tire's suggestions for other sizes in the 18's range. Guess I'll have to double check the options for those then. My work schedule doesn't play too friendly with being able to call places during the day.

And I'm pretty much in the middle between Seattle and Spokane. 4.5 hrs to East coast and 3hrs to the other side.
More important question than location in WA...what kind of big dogs?!?

And to answer the tire question, as long as you go with the 245/60-R18s, your stock donut spare will work.

And downsizing from the 20s to 18s was the smartest thing I've done with my Ascent (after purchasing it in the first place). Ride is smoother and quieter and I just overall feel more confident.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More important question than location in WA...what kind of big dogs?!?

And to answer the tire question, as long as you go with the 245/60-R18s, your stock donut spare will work.

And downsizing from the 20s to 18s was the smartest thing I've done with my Ascent (after purchasing it in the first place). Ride is smoother and quieter and I just overall feel more confident.
Hahah for dogs, I've got one GSD(8 years old, 95lbs) and a GSD/Husky mutt(9, and 65lbs). So not quite the big dogs you probably were imagining.... Plan in the future is a Bernese Mountain Doggo!

And ok! Thank you for the extra clarification! I will stick to the 245/60-R18 and probably switch to the Continental Terrain Contacts, since the hubby also runs that brand right now for winter tires for the STI.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
So downsizing my 20's to 18's on my Limited finally, since I'm just about to hit 16k miles and stock tires wont make it through another winter season, looking at going with Falken Wildpeak A/T, 255 /55 R18 with KMC 708's. Will the current donut spare tire fit with the setup should I need to use the donut? Or do I need to look at another option for the spare? I tried looking on the sticky thread with all the rims and tire combos people have used, for what I'm after, and on the FB groups, but couldn't find a definite answer.

We are taking a huge road trip from WA to WI in October so I won't be buying tires for several months still, but I like figuring things out way ahead of time so costs can be factored in. Stock rims & tires willl probably get switched in for another summer season at least since they still have a bit of life left. Then haven't quite figured out what I'm going to do with them.
initiate a conversation through the forum with discount tire

·
Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
243 Posts
Hahah for dogs, I've got one GSD(8 years old, 95lbs) and a GSD/Husky mutt(9, and 65lbs). So not quite the big dogs you probably were imagining.... Plan in the future is a Bernese Mountain Doggo!
We have two 3yo Berners and a 2yo Leonberger. 350# total. It's amazing!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
initiate a conversation through the forum with discount tire
I honestly have no idea why I didn't think about that... but i guess I'd rather post on a public forum then directly ask someone 😂

We have two 3yo Berners and a 2yo Leonberger. 350# total. It's amazing!
holy smokes that's a dream pack right there!! Sad to say I have not met many yet though. You wouldn't happen to live near WA would you? 👀🤣 But more importantly, do they all fit in the Ascent??

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
I honestly have no idea why I didn't think about that... but i guess I'd rather post on a public forum then directly ask someone 😂

holy smokes that's a dream pack right there!! Sad to say I have not met many yet though. You wouldn't happen to live near WA would you? 👀🤣 But more importantly, do they all fit in the Ascent??
discount tire is part of this forum

·
Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
243 Posts
We live in Oregon. We have dozens of friends with Berners...because of the Berners.

And yes, the dogs are actually the reason we bought the Ascent.

·
Registered
223 Posts

It will not rub. The overall diameter is 0.6” SMALLER than OEM. However, the donut will not work.

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
In addition to tire size, willtheyfit can also account for wheel size as well. If you take into account your KMC708's that you wanted, you notice that the wheel/tire sticks much out away from the vehicle.

When I phoned lpaventure back in OCT of 2018, they had this tire size( 255/55-18) rubbing with their wheel which had an offset of 35, so it was even further away from the vehicle. I forget which wheel model/specs they were using. They had rubbing when turning. Granted they were K02's and not wildpeaks, which is why I suggest you call them. So while the OD may have shrunk, the extra width had minor interference.

I would only take non-rubbing verification from someone who has run the exact setup, first hand.

·
Registered
223 Posts
In addition to tire size, willtheyfit can also account for wheel size as well. If you take into account your KMC708's that you wanted, you notice that the wheel/tire sticks much out away from the vehicle.

View attachment 11110
When I phoned lpaventure back in OCT of 2018, they had this tire size( 255/55-18) rubbing with their wheel which had an offset of 35, so it was even further away from the vehicle. I forget which wheel model/specs they were using. They had rubbing when turning. Granted they were K02's and not wildpeaks, which is why I suggest you call them. So while the OD may have shrunk, the extra width had minor interference.

I would only take non-rubbing verification from someone who has run the exact setup, first hand.
I have the KMC 708 (offset is 38) with 265/60r18. Tires are multi mile wild country diameter 30.55”. No rub. I doubt lpadventures runs smaller than OEM tires. I am pretty sure they are referring to 255/55r20 which are 31” and will not fit. I recall talking with them about various things when I was looking at buying my lift and they did try larger than 30.5 which did not work. They recommended the 265/60r18 with no hesitation diameter 30.5. IMHO 31s should have been the OEM size anyway :)

·
Registered
500 Posts
@gmatt1000 I think you should edit your post to include if you are running a lift or not with that tire/wheel size. ***Nevermind I just read "when buying my lift".

Maybe I was mistaken when talking to lpaventure, being that was more than 2+ years ago, which is why I said to call them in my original post to verify.

I have since done a moderate lift and would like to upsize the tires to the 265/60s to better fill the wheel well. But I just can't justify that for a vehicle that rarely gets driven on a rotated once set of tires. Maybe @QnSquirrel wants to buy my lightly used wheel/tire/tpms set and force the issue?

·
Registered
120 Posts
great discussion low profile look cooler but ride is compromised i looked into snow tires and wheels from tire rack for the 18 as option didn't do it but glad to find this info here and that fitting website

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,180 Posts
Consider that a lift on these kinds of vehicles does not materially change the maximum tire diameter they can handle, unlike back in the body on frame days. You can pretty much get to the same place "un-lifted" as you still run into the issue of interference with suspension/steering, etc., even if you don't get body rub. The lift is more for looks and a hair more ground clearance. Does it help a little? Yea, perhaps. But not a whole bunch. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts

I'm getting the Toyo a/t III, went from 20" rims to 18's so I can have more rubber on the road.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts